Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
kiyablossom
Org Profile

Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Post by kiyablossom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:17 pm

I really want to switch to Sony Vegas, to make better amvs with less hassle and less time without compromising quality, as it takes way too long to make one in Windows Movie Maker. It's the reason I keep procrastinating on starting my next amv (LOL)...but I have 2 questions.

1. Can you import windows movie video (.wmv) files into Sony Vegas Pro 8 or 9 ?
and...

2. A friend wants to know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio (it's less expensive) is just as good for making amvs ? He basically wants, like me, a better video editing software that will allow for better/precise timing, the ability to "lock" clips to a specific point on the audio timeline for perfect timing, which is literally impossible in WMM, as well as higher quality amvs. I told him no way since it is not nearly as powerful, doesn't have the same great features (from what I've seen and heard online) as Sony Vegas Pro 9 or earlier versions, and if he's considering using Movie Studio, he should just stick to using WMM. But he wants a second opinion. Hopefully you guys can better answer his question.

GH
Org Profile

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Post by GH » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:39 am

it's probably going to take more time to finish an amv in sony vegas rather than windows movie maker. but that's only because there's more options (such as different effects, etc.); and it's definitely more capable of editing than wmm.

yes, you can import .wmv files into i'm pretty sure almost every version of sony vegas.

i can't answer the second question, i'm not sure of the differences as i have never used movie studio. but here's a list of a few differences, you could also google for more. but sony vegas movie studio is still much better than wmm, but if your friend has the option of getting sony vegas movie studio; i would recommend buying it.

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Actually it should take a lot less time to make a video in Vegas, unless you're just starting to learn how to use it. The hassle and crashes you'll have to put up with in WMM aren't nearly as present in Vegas.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:16 am

You can import .wmv, but I'd suggest encoding them to lossless avis first - that way you lose no quality from the original file ;x

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:26 am

Regarding Vegas Movie Studio vs. Vegas Pro - I've edited my first AMV in the former, my second in the latter and I cen tell you this: if you're only planning to create simple AMVs without many complicated effects or masking (Movie Studio does not have masking, I had to go around it using png files, which was a bit tedious), you can try VMS, but you'll still find some annoying cuts in functionality from time to time (like the lack of velocity envelopes or only 4 tracks available for editing), but it's still a HUGE improvement over WMM. Otherwise go for Pro simply because it gives much more freedom.

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:56 am

Yes, you can import wmv files into Vegas, but the quality probably won't look all that nice.
Whether you get Vegas Movie Studio or Vegas Pro basically depends on how many special effects you want to use. Movie Studio is missing some features that Pro has, like masking and 3D compositing. (I use Movie Studio, and doing these things in Wax 2.0 is not fun xD)

kiyablossom
Org Profile

Post by kiyablossom » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to buy movie studio as I'm not interested in masking at the moment, but I'll buy sony vegas pro at a later date. My friend also decided to buy movie studio too.

kiyablossom
Org Profile

Post by kiyablossom » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:01 pm

kiyablossom wrote:I really want to switch to Sony Vegas, to make better amvs with less hassle and less time without compromising quality, as it takes way too long to make one in Windows Movie Maker. It's the reason I keep procrastinating on starting my next amv (LOL)...but I have 2 questions.

and...

2. A friend wants to know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio (it's less expensive) is just as good for making amvs ? He basically wants, like me, a better video editing software that will allow for better/precise timing, the ability to "lock" clips to a specific point on the audio timeline for perfect timing, which is literally impossible in WMM, as well as higher quality amvs. I told him no way since it is not nearly as powerful, doesn't have the same great features (from what I've seen and heard online) as Sony Vegas Pro 9 or earlier versions, and if he's considering using Movie Studio, he should just stick to using WMM. But he wants a second opinion. Hopefully you guys can better answer his question.
Thanks guys for the responses. I just have one more question. Can you do what this guy is doing in his Sony Vegas Syncing tutorial video, in Sony Vegas Movie Studio too. Here is the link to the tutorial below. Particuarly part 2:00 to 4:00.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01oG75jK ... re=related

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:03 am

kiyablossom wrote:
kiyablossom wrote:I really want to switch to Sony Vegas, to make better amvs with less hassle and less time without compromising quality, as it takes way too long to make one in Windows Movie Maker. It's the reason I keep procrastinating on starting my next amv (LOL)...but I have 2 questions.

and...

Thanks guys for the responses. I just have one more question. Can you do what this guy is doing in his Sony Vegas Syncing tutorial video, in Sony Vegas Movie Studio too. Here is the link to the tutorial below. Particuarly part 2:00 to 4:00.
Yep, you can ;x

kiyablossom
Org Profile

Post by kiyablossom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
kiyablossom wrote:

and...

Yep, you can ;x

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”