Premiere CS3 Crashing While Using AVISynth Scripts

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Mysterious Pharaoh
Org Profile

Premiere CS3 Crashing While Using AVISynth Scripts

Post by Mysterious Pharaoh » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:07 am

Whenever i edit with AVS files in Premiere it crashes, I'm not using heavy scripts only FieldDeinterlace(), spline36resize and I'm loading MKV and MP4 files with FFVideoSource. I found a topic with similar problem but the solution didn't work with me, it was using SetMemoryMax(8) in the script but it didn't help me.
Is this because of my processor? Or maybe it's a problem because I'm using a laptop?

Here are some info:
Avisynth v2.5.8
PremiereAVSPlugin-v1.95a
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5550 @1.85GHz 1.85 GHz
Memory (RAM): 3 GB
Windows Vista home premium

I'll be thankful for any help.

Mysterious Pharaoh
Org Profile

Re: Premiere CS3 Crashing While Using AVISynth Scripts

Post by Mysterious Pharaoh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:00 pm

There's also another problem, sometimes when i render the sequence it says "error: out of memory" or stops responding :(
And when i want to export to AVI it works until 40% or 30% and stops responding or says "error complaining movie". Is Premiere that very bad software?? I used Vegas for 2 years and it didn't do such things :shock: Does it mean that i can't use Premiere or can't export my amv which took so much to make?? But i noticed that most of AMV makers use Premiere, is there a way to export or stop it from crashing?
Please help T______T

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:01 pm

There are a few things to consider first. How many AVS files are you using? While the filters might not be that heavy, they might bug the functionality of the app all along the execution, I've noticed that the amount of crashes with AVS in Premiere with only FFVideoSource is very big.
A solution for this would be to turn those files into lossless with those filters you are already suggesting and editing them that way. It's almost error-proof compared to this method, although I guess you don't want to consider this option due to the fact it does take a big amount of space.
The "out of memory" error I guess is because of some kind of memory corruption from the part of Avisynth, you can "play" around with. I don't really use SetMemoryMax but having 3gb of RAM giving out 8mb for each script doesn't seem sane enough. Depending on how many apps you have open in Vista (memory-sucking OS) and scripts try to allocate a better amount of memory, like 100 for 10. Even though this is error prone IMO.

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Panky wrote:The "out of memory" error I guess is because of some kind of memory corruption from the part of Avisynth, you can "play" around with
Bah, I curse the non-existent edit button :evil:
I meant, that there are times when that error won't pop up.

Mysterious Pharaoh
Org Profile

Post by Mysterious Pharaoh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:45 am

Thanks for your reply Panky. I'm using 19 AVS files. Do you suggest removing SetMemoryMax()? And i know about the losses AVI but please isn't there another solution? This takes lots of time and i don't have time. I don't think that all people edit with losses AVI, could it be there is a way to stop Premiere from crashing? It's also getting worse, when i first exported my project before i finish, it worked well and exported, but the problem now is i finished the project but premiere isn't exporting it, it's crashing!! This problem is killing me, not only that premiere crashes when i edit but it's crashing when exporting. My project is 1 minute and it's crashing, and other people who use premiere can export projects of 4 minutes :cry:

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Well, 19 scripts is a big amount, it's bound to crash. Your best bet would be to close EVERY open application that you can to save RAM (MSN, Yahoo, or any other windows random one). While like I said, I don't understand how much can limiting RAM help or mess up the stability of AVS, you can try around SetMemoryMax(80) and see if it works more smooth than before.
The length of the sequence isn't the matter here, but the stability of the imported files you're using. In fact, it said that there isn't enough RAM in some moment which is possible. Maybe while it's longer, it's more possible for it to crash, but
Did CS3 include media encoder?

Mysterious Pharaoh
Org Profile

Post by Mysterious Pharaoh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:35 pm

I did close all the applications i could, but it's still crashing. And no, it didn't include media encoder. I tried Premiere CS4 which included the media encoder but it didn't work well with me so i switched back to CS3.
Is 19 scripts a big amount? what about those editors who use lots lots of animes in their videos? do they have to make losses avi for every script they have? why then there is that Premiere AVS Plugin since premiere is too idiot and crashing a lot?
Please is there any thing i could do to save my recent project? Premiere started to stop responding just when i open it not even showing the files or anything. The contest i want to join is getting closer and my video is stuck inside Premiere :cry:

Mysterious Pharaoh
Org Profile

Post by Mysterious Pharaoh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Mysterious Pharaoh wrote:It didn't include media encoder.
I found the media encoder and tried exporting from file -> export -> adobe media encoder, but didn't work too, i didn't find AVI format (where can i find it?) and all other formats failed, like:
Adobe Flash Video: stops responding
H.264: error complaining movie
Windows Media: application failed to return a video frame. cancelling the operation

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm

Do you have HUFFYUV codec installed in your computer(it's inside the AMVapp package)?. You should definitely find AVI in the list, something like:

Exporting the project with formats like H.264 with Adobe tends to fail miserably, so don't even try. Also, remove the SetMemoryMax() when trying to export it, I don't think it will actually help and seems like it's messing the script output (from what Windows Media says). Exporting with Media Encoder might help with the issue a little, but it's not sure to work.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:03 am

Try to change the SetMemoryMax(8) to SetMemoryMax(1024). Sounds like you aren't giving it enough ram. Removing it entirely might 'cause memory leaks otoh, but it could also work.
I'll also guess that yeah, exporting as Microsoft AVI (and perhaps "None" instead of selecting a codec) would help. I know it helped me in the past on CS3.
Also, the Media Encoder is from CS4 onwards, I don't seem to recall it being installed with CS3...
As for script amount, I've used 26 scripts just fine. But I tend to prefer making lossless and using those when I can. Much faster and smoother editing, and less exporting slowdowns and errors. If space is an issue, clipping just the scenes you need will save a whole lot of space.

Return to “Adobe Software”