formatting

GH
Org Profile

formatting

Post by GH » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 pm

when i first bought my external hd, i forgot to format from fat32 to ntfs, and now it's filled with data and i need to put in lagarith encodes which are much more than 4gb. and they won't fit onto my c drive because it's pretty much filled. at first i planned to move everything from the external to my laptop with a 160gb hd and then move it back after it was formatted, but there was no plugin on my laptop for the external.

is there anyway to format without loosing storage, or possibly any other way to go about this?

Mr. Fuzzyflippers
Lets Positive Thinking
Org Profile

Re: formatting

Post by Mr. Fuzzyflippers » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:05 am

insomniac wrote:when i first bought my external hd, i forgot to format from fat32 to ntfs, and now it's filled with data and i need to put in lagarith encodes which are much more than 4gb. and they won't fit onto my c drive because it's pretty much filled. at first i planned to move everything from the external to my laptop with a 160gb hd and then move it back after it was formatted, but there was no plugin on my laptop for the external.

is there anyway to format without loosing storage, or possibly any other way to go about this?
uhh... how much room do you have left on your PC? You could move the anime you use more often to your PC HD and move the others to a flash drive or SD card. Also delete the anime you don't use anymore (example: Naruto).

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:05 am

Formatting will erase the data on the drive, no way around that one.

Put as much as you can on your C drive and burn the rest onto dvds/flash drives/whatever other removable media you have?

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:24 pm

oh people people :\

if i am understanding this right.
Insomniac wants to: format his hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS? yess?

http://www.ntfs.com/quest3.htm
After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without of data loss.
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:27 pm

this should help too. official microsoft support how could that be wrong! :)

Keep in mind though: Although the chance of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, we recommend that you perform a backup of the data on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion.

if you dont wanna lose anything for SURE, still back it up like everyone suggested.
===
and in the future
try this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=convert+fat32+to+n ... t+dataloss
Image Image

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm

crap forgot the link in the previous post
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881
Image Image

GH
Org Profile

Post by GH » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:27 pm

thank you milkmandan!

i successfully converted without loosing any files. although apparently i had a few errors in my j: drive that i had to fix with chkdsk via cmd before the conversion, but it all worked out fine.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”