Avisynth Script Importer for Adobe CS5

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Avisynth Script Importer for Adobe CS5

Post by Pwolf » Fri May 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Since Adobe moved to the x86_64 architecture all the old plugins no longer work in any of the 64bit CS5 programs, which include Premiere and After Effects. With some help from Mike (Valion) I was able to port his CS4/3 AVS Importer plugin for use in CS5.

A couple of things need to be considered before use. You will need the 64bit build of avisynth. This is a fork from the 32bit version and isn't supported by the main team. It's being updated by one person and isn't 100% stable compared to the 32 bit version. You will also need to obtain the 64bit builds of any filters you would like to use. If you run into a problems using this plugin, please make sure you have all the required libraries and filters. The easiest way to test this is to download the 64bit build of virtual dub and load your scripts into that.

Download:

Installer

Source

Please report any issues (after testing your script in virtualdubx64 first) to this thread.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth Script Importer for Adobe CS5

Post by mirkosp » Sat May 22, 2010 7:57 pm

Avisynth 64bit is just no for the time being, nevermind the fact that some filters are being converted or already are. It's best to just use lossless files or mount the avs scripts, at this point.
Still big thanks for the work though, I'm sure some people will be fine with this... but I felt the need to discourage the use of avisynth 64bit, at least for now. Perhaps in a few years it will be fine.
It would be awesome if you guys were able to make a plugin that could work with 32bit avisynth, but I'm not sure if it's possible to do. :(

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sat May 22, 2010 8:29 pm

mirkosp wrote:Avisynth 64bit is just no for the time being, nevermind the fact that some filters are being converted or already are. It's best to just use lossless files or mount the avs scripts, at this point.
Still big thanks for the work though, I'm sure some people will be fine with this... but I felt the need to discourage the use of avisynth 64bit, at least for now. Perhaps in a few years it will be fine.
It would be awesome if you guys were able to make a plugin that could work with 32bit avisynth, but I'm not sure if it's possible to do. :(
I disagree about not using it. I think you can use it but be aware of the issues. My testing involved simple avisource() and mpeg2source (without IVTCing) inputs with no problems. I wouldn't do any heavy filtering yet. Honestly, a lot of the issues I see are with the 3rd party filters and not with the core library. Not so say it doesn't have it's issues, it does. I think the more people that demand 64bit avisynth, the faster it will get done. I looked into the possibility of writing a plugin that would load the 32bit library instead of the 64bit one, but it would be very complicated and I would need extensive knowledge of the avisynth codebase... would be easier for everyone if the avisynth team would make an official 64bit version or at least assisted the one guy who's actually moving forward with it.

Also, I tested the file mounting method and it seems unstable and unreliable with heavy filtering. It worked fine with simple inputs but when I introduced some cleaning filters, the source wouldn't import.

Personally I'll be encoding the majority (if not all) of my source to lossless for editing instead of using avisynth. It's the safest route and allows for faster, smoother editing IMO.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun May 23, 2010 1:35 pm

The important bit is that it's still useful for importing full BRDs into AE after you already cleaned them once and dumped to a file. Unless they've fixed the bugs in AE that hated long files to begin with... If they have, there's always this
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Mon May 24, 2010 10:05 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:The important bit is that it's still useful for importing full BRDs into AE after you already cleaned them once and dumped to a file. Unless they've fixed the bugs in AE that hated long files to begin with... If they have, there's always this
Personally I've always been against importing AVS stuff inside editing programs. Just too many more steps to introduce some crash or issue that is not harder to backtrace.

Since I don't use AE and haven't used Huff files greater than 20GB in premiere could you elaborate on this bug with "long files"? I take it you mean large files that are greater than some threshold? If that's the case what is the threshold and have people had this problem in any of the CS3+ versions of Premiere that you know of?

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon May 24, 2010 3:00 pm

outlawed wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:The important bit is that it's still useful for importing full BRDs into AE after you already cleaned them once and dumped to a file. Unless they've fixed the bugs in AE that hated long files to begin with... If they have, there's always this
Personally I've always been against importing AVS stuff inside editing programs. Just too many more steps to introduce some crash or issue that is not harder to backtrace.

Since I don't use AE and haven't used Huff files greater than 20GB in premiere could you elaborate on this bug with "long files"? I take it you mean large files that are greater than some threshold? If that's the case what is the threshold and have people had this problem in any of the CS3+ versions of Premiere that you know of?
Yea, i'm not really sure what bashar is talking about since I've delt with 200+gb files in premiere 6.5 and cs4 with no problems

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 pm

I haven't gotten the problem in Premiere, but AE seems to hate large files. In my specific situation, 720p files in excess of 20 min or so break AE CS3 (and apparently CS4 according to things i have heard) if they're @ 23.976fps. Premiere is fine with the same files. This is the only reason i've used AVS files in adobe products to be honest - storage devices are cheap (note my link to newegg in the last reply).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed May 26, 2010 7:46 pm

Bashar's issue with 23.976 is common over here, both in premiere and ae, both with long and short files... then again, I'm still using the beta of CS4 so I guess they got around to that in the final. Not sure how CS5 deals with them, but one thing I've been thinking of is using lossless x264 into m2ts when I'll be changing rig and switching to the new software. Based on comparisons, lossless x264 can do very well both compression and speed wise*. And CS5 seems to allow for smooth editing with out-of-cam AVCHD m2ts files (I think I read something like 6 720p tracks on top of each other playing back in real time without making it preview).

*Suggested settings for editing seem to be:

Code: Select all

--crf 1 --preset ultrafast -I 1 --tune fastdecode,zerolatency
Which would result in something in-between huffyuv and lagarith for speed and compression.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed May 26, 2010 7:55 pm

I should give that a try and see what happens.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:25 pm

"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “Video Editing Software”