EZ, FREE, VOB. TO FINAL CUT METHOD! [HI QUALITY]

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: EZ, FREE, VOB. TO FINAL CUT METHOD! [HI QUALITY]

Post by Kionon » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:49 am

pemberly wrote:First, editing in DV is "native" for Final Cut Express. So I don't see anything wrong with recommending that Final Cut Express users edit in DV. Sure, it might not be the absolutely bestest way to do it, but it's acceptable.
Acceptable is a matter of opinion.
Second, there are people who are too cheap to buy Apple MPEG-2 plug-in and use MPEG Streamclip to convert their VOB files. With this method, at least they'll still get DV.
It is not my habit to condone substandard decision making because the decision maker happens to be a cheapskate. And you're missing the biggest problem with this: not using avisynth. If you want to not preprocess and have your converted footage look like crap, sure, go ahead.
I agree that if you have Final Cut PRO, that editing in some other codec is better than DV. But I get "acceptable" quality with DV and haven't converted all my DVDs over to ProRes yet. I do tire of the interlacing issue with DV, which is why I like ProRes. (But I have this feeling that there's going to be some comment about how ProRes is not "acceptable" enough either. Oh, whatever!) LOL
You don't have as much control as you would in avisynth. If you have an intel mac, there simply isn't any good reason to use these programs to preprocess. They're just not designed to do it well, and so they do it badly.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “Mac Software”