Problem with images when rendering

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
DigiDragon
Org Profile

Problem with images when rendering

Post by DigiDragon » Thu May 20, 2010 1:43 am

I'm creating a video with many sets of generated media and at one point a freeze-frame snapshot I took using Sony Vegas. Everything looks fine in preview, and it all says it should be the same size -- 480x320 during preview -- but when I render my video, the generated media sections and snapshot are always noticeably smaller than the rest of the video. It's like it has been scaled down. It's not a problem with one track, as they are spread out on many, and it happens with both video footage and images, as this is a mix of anime and manga video. Just the snapshots and generated media are giving me problems and I'm really stumped as to what to do about it.

I using Vegas Movie Studio Premium 9.0 and my source video is .avi.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Problem with images when rendering

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu May 20, 2010 5:32 am

1) Your Aspect Ratio is wrong - it's 3:2 and that's wrong AR from any angle I look at it. It should be 4:3 or 16:9, check your DVD case or source.

2) You probably have your project or the stills set wrong. I don't really get "how" it's rendered wrong - could you give a screenshot of the wrong rendered part?

DigiDragon
Org Profile

Post by DigiDragon » Thu May 20, 2010 7:31 am

1) How do I change the Aspect Ratio? I know I've done this before, but I can't figure it out. My video source's Aspect Ratio is 16:9.

2) Here are two links that demonstrate what I'm referring to. With the milky gray filter in this one: http://i49.tinypic.com/28tpih.png

And the snapshot here: http://i48.tinypic.com/2membo.png

In both instances, the preview shows them reaching to the very outer edge of the video, but here they are smaller. Does that make any more sense? It's not as noticeable with some parts, but in others it's jarring, at least to me.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu May 20, 2010 12:35 pm

You change the AR in settings or when preprocessing your video. You might find some hints here.

As for the filter - it seems you have to change the settings of the clip itself as you didn't make it in 720x480 (I suppose, or it's shrinked, whatever).
Just go to the first frame of the overlaid stuff, click on the event pan/crop button (should be on its own envelope/rectangle) and adjust it there so it fits whole. Alternatively, you can turn off keeping AR in clip's properties (it will stretch to the whole picture) or in whole project - the latter is not good, though ;x

Btw, the bars over and under your video are not good too, unless you use more sources ;x

DigiDragon
Org Profile

Post by DigiDragon » Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 pm

I found something where I could change the generated media's aspect so it matches my video, so I'm changing all of that now. It appears to be working fine, though with the snapshot I just had to take it over again in another video player because it's locked in at 480x320 for some reason.

What did you mean by bars? If you mean the widescreen, I regret to say my video source only comes in widescreen and I'm unaware of any way to change that without making it look stretched.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu May 20, 2010 9:59 pm

Your project as well as source as well as rendering AR should be 848x480. That way you get perfect widescreen and need no bars :)

DigiDragon
Org Profile

Post by DigiDragon » Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Well, the video section looks great when rendered like that, though the part that uses manga is getting to be difficult to make 848x480. XD;; Regardless, it looks pretty good like that, so I may keep it that way, despite the fact that the majority of it will be different sized.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”