Crossfading Problems

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
yutelify
Org Profile

Crossfading Problems

Post by yutelify » Mon May 17, 2010 5:12 pm

I've been having a really annoying problem in Sony Vegas.When I do a crossfade between two clips the last few frames kinda stick,and then disappear without any smoothness (if you can understand what I'm trying to say).It really ruins the rest of the video for me if I watch it.Also,I'm not pleased with my crossfades in general,what can I do to make them better/smoother,are there any alternative methods of doing them? Is there some kind of trick to it? Do I have to mix some effects with them? I've also tried changing the fade type but they still aren't as good enough as I'd want them to be.I've been practicing AMV's and I'm satisifed with everything except my crossfades.Since smooth crossfades are standard in AMV's today I would like to learn more about them,and finally get over that barrier in my editing. :sweat:

My Vegas version is 9.0

BurningLeaves
Org Profile

Re: Crossfading Problems

Post by BurningLeaves » Tue May 18, 2010 2:48 am

Does this happen only in the viewer or do you notice it in exports to? I ask because at times when I have had alot of things running in the background or am doing a more complex video certain effects will be delayed in the viewer while on export look fine. The only other way I can think of would be to put clip 1 on one layer and clip 2 underneath it. Fade out clip 1 as you are fading in clip 2. Though there's alot of people on here that have used this program much more than I and will probably be able to share some more tricks.

yutelify
Org Profile

Post by yutelify » Tue May 18, 2010 4:25 am

Yes.I can see it while I'm editing in my program ,and in the exported file too.I usually don't have much background programs running so I can rule that out.Also,putting the clips on two layers and fading them in and out like you described doesn't work,I still get those sticky frames.But thanks for the reply :D

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Tue May 18, 2010 6:44 am

Have you tried reinstalling it? There's prolly something wrong with the program.
Something you could try, though, is fading manually with keyframes. Mask around the image in event pan/crop and set a keyframe at the start point of the fade, and a keyframe with lowered opacity at the end point. You can change the keyframe type or add some more keyframes in between if necessary. This is a bit tedious but in the end you have more control over your fades :up:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue May 18, 2010 6:55 am

yutelify wrote:stick,and then disappear without any smoothness
Hmmm, if I get you right, it just stops and then jumps few frames without going over transition? Tried to RAM preview the transition (Shift+B on selection)? Transitions are kinda hard on RAM because they have to be calculated.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”