Custom image Frame Rates?

JonnyPhoenyx
Org Profile

Custom image Frame Rates?

Post by JonnyPhoenyx » Mon May 17, 2010 1:47 pm

I've seen this particular effect done many times in AMVs. An editor takes a sequence from an anime, masks out a character, and places a background or other characters behind them via photoshop or another program. I'm trying to figure out what frame rate the images would need to be at when editing.
Reading over that, it didn't make a lot of sense.
Example: I take a sequence in Anime X, use the pen tool in photoshop to single out the character in the frame and export it as a PNG to keep a transparent background. I repeat this process X times. From there, I place the edited images in my timeline in my editor. Now, what frame rate should these images be edited at. I mean, typically anime is what, like 16 fps? 24? not sure. So if I'm not lip syncing, what would be the smoothest fps? I know higher quality anime has higher fps, but say ones like Naruto, bleach, samurai Champloo or Baki the grappler. I would imagine it would just be the same as the original footage, but when I tried it with a sequence from The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, It seem jumpy.
Any advice/tips?
This is very likely posted somewhere else, but as you can tell, I have a bit of a problem trying to describe my question, so searching was difficult.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: Custom image Frame Rates?

Post by Zarxrax » Mon May 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Just use whatever works for you and looks ok.

Mastamind
Org Profile

Re: Custom image Frame Rates?

Post by Mastamind » Mon May 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Normally you'd probably want to keep it at the fps it was originally at. If the mask changes every two frames, leave it at two frames. Of course if you want to make the motion appear faster or slower you could make the frames last shorter or longer, it's your call.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”