is there a easier way to do a writing text effect?

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

is there a easier way to do a writing text effect?

Post by Kireblue » Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm trying to have text in my video as if it was being written while the video was playing. Is there a easy way to do this if you have a lot of text? I found a tutorial on youtube, but since I have a lot of text throughout the video, his method would take hours (possibly days). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpqT_bzhiA8

Does anyone know of a quicker way to do this? I'm attempting to do this with Adobe After Effects, but if its easier to do in another program, I have no problems with switching since I already have the main movie done.

GH
Org Profile

Re: is there a easier way to do a writing text effect?

Post by GH » Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/graffiti_writing/

there's a tutorial for it in after effects. i've done this a few times and it only takes a couple minutes, or maybe not even that. i don't believe it's done the same way in that tutorial as the youtube one, can't quite remember; haven't needed it in a while. but anyway, it's clearly explained. (it also includes a few other things other than the writing text effect that you could skip over.)

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 pm

This was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much. I truly appreciate it.

christiw
Org Profile

Post by christiw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:54 am

One way is to create the Title maybe using a "typewriter" font, and then animate the Crop Effect to reveal one letter at a time. Think about adding an SFX of a typewriter key hitting paper to enhance the visuals.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”