Choppy preview window while editing [Premiere Pro CS3-CS2]

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Sairyoku
Org Profile

Choppy preview window while editing [Premiere Pro CS3-CS2]

Post by Sairyoku » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 pm

So, I've been having many a problems with Premiere (Pro CS3-CS2) lately. One of the main problems that is the most annoying is that when I try to preview anything from the timeline in the preview window in Premiere, it lags up and only shows about 3 frames per 10 seconds while the music just keeps on playing. I've looked for this problem on other forums and found that most people who have this problem are using Vista(which is what I'm using), and those who had responded to the ones with the problem usually said that it would be better to just use Windows XP instead. They also had pointed out that their hardware wasn't exactly fit for that kind of work. So what I'm trying figure out is if it's my hardware or software causing the problem.

Here's my specs. (feel free to ask me anything as I have probably forgotten to add whatever it is that I didn't say :| )

Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: Approx. 3 GB
Hard Drive: 239 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE
Monitor: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech Digital Precision PC Gaming Headset
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Choppy preview window while editing [Premiere Pro CS3-CS2]

Post by Kionon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:42 pm

Sairyoku wrote:So, I've been having many a problems with Premiere (Pro CS3-CS2) lately. One of the main problems that is the most annoying is that when I try to preview anything from the timeline in the preview window in Premiere, it lags up and only shows about 3 frames per 10 seconds while the music just keeps on playing. I've looked for this problem on other forums and found that most people who have this problem are using Vista(which is what I'm using), and those who had responded to the ones with the problem usually said that it would be better to just use Windows XP instead. They also had pointed out that their hardware wasn't exactly fit for that kind of work. So what I'm trying figure out is if it's my hardware or software causing the problem.

Here's my specs. (feel free to ask me anything as I have probably forgotten to add whatever it is that I didn't say :| )

Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: Approx. 3 GB
Hard Drive: 239 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE
Monitor: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech Digital Precision PC Gaming Headset
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)
I don't think it's your hardware. I was running a set up very similar to yours two years ago, and I had no problems with CS3 (though I preferred working with 6.5). I had, in fact, the same amount of RAM, the same video card, the same sound card, and even the same monitor! (I sold it to a coworker who uses it as his second monitor on his gaming rig, I now use a combo Apple Cinema Display and Panasonic 42" HDTV). I also ran Vista. Differences, however, included the fact I had a P4 3.0Ghz single core, and my Vista Ultimate. Vista's aids eventually made me take that system and turn it into a Hackintosh (and it ran CS3 just fine on the Mac side). Now I am all Apple.

If I had to blame something, I would blame Windows over your hardware, but that is partly my bias, and partly that I am assuming your hardware is still working perfectly. Which may not be the case if something is damaged. It might also be your drive. What kind is it? IDE/ATA or SATA? 5400rpm or higher? Getting a 7200rpm (or higher!) SATA system disc is going to increase performance across the board. At 10,000rpm or 15,000rpm, you will see a massive improvement.

Note these are my opinions. Others may disagree. Your mileage will vary.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun May 09, 2010 12:18 pm

What format is your source?

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Sun May 09, 2010 3:44 pm

I would suggest checking for RAM usage in the task manager when running the preview. I agree with Kionon that Vista is ultimately bloated with useless things that most times make the OS memory-unstable, and running Premiere would make it even more unstable.

Êricō
Org Profile

Post by Êricō » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:18 am

Have you rendered your video? press ENTER to do so

Sometimes after rendering you may need to play through the video once and then watch it again.
I do all the right things for all the wrong reasons.

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:45 am

Yeah, this sounds like a simple problem of not having preview rendered the timeline.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:40 pm

Even without previewing he should be able to properly playback the edited clips just fine if he's using lossless clips in a format fast to decode...

Êricō
Org Profile

Post by Êricō » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:08 am

mirkosp wrote:Even without previewing he should be able to properly playback the edited clips just fine if he's using lossless clips in a format fast to decode...
"if" the person is usig the format your describing but you are right.
I do all the right things for all the wrong reasons.

Return to “Adobe Software”