Better Call Out for Developers/coders

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Better Call Out for Developers/coders

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon May 03, 2010 7:53 pm

I always got the feeling there really wasn't a real desire to bring more people on board with site design / coding for quite a long time. I'd hope if they were actively looking for people, though, there'd be some sort of application process where you'd have to provide legit qualifications.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Wed May 05, 2010 9:49 pm

SQ wrote:Or just our pitifully small selection of emotes all being able to be viewed without having to hit the 'view more'.
Done. I think it might be annoying seeing rofl-guy roll every time I post, but we'll see how it goes.

A brief history of org smilies:
After I upgraded the forum from phpBB2 to phpBB3, I thought that the new smilies (on right hand side below) looked more like aliens than happy faces. I went back to phpBB2's. (left hand side below)

Custom:
:amv: - Made by koopiskeva if I remember correctly.
:up: :down: - I took these icons from LiveJournal when I saw people using "up" and "down" here.
:uhoh: :nono: :rofl: - I added these at the request of TsunamiJones. (again, if I remember correctly)
:sweat: :jester: - I took two other smilies I found, and edited them to look more like phpBB2 smilies.
:ying: - Added since I kept seeing it in reference to inthesto.
:book: |:> :awesome: - I looked at hundreds of smilies (I forget where), and didn't like most of them. The animations were amusing once, or had limited appeal, or were inappropriate. I picked these.
:nose: - I made this one in honour of Groucho Marx.
:pizza: - Added for fun.
<3 - Added after the April Fools Day Week "Relationship Forum" was shut down.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Wed May 05, 2010 10:38 pm

Man, I thought exactly the same when I saw those smilies on other forum. The one that looks even more to an alien is the :O one. We are much better off with these ones.
dokidoki wrote:Done. I think it might be annoying seeing rofl-guy roll every time I post, but we'll see how it goes.
No, it's just fine to me. Thanks :ying:

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Thu May 06, 2010 7:19 am

Thanks, doki.

Man, a relationships forum?
I wish I could've been here for that. :(

I agree, the other smilies look like aliens. I like the ones we have, but I always thought the thumbs were kind of poorly made and look a bit creepy. But it's not like I have a better alternative.

How come there's no AIM Kissy face? We used to use that all the time. Didn't want to put in one that didn't match the phpbb2 style?

Alsoalso, is anything being done about the original intention of the post - is there a developers group or a contact email or something now?
That's kind of more important than some emotes, I think. Unless you don't want [more] developers.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu May 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Silly SQ. The Org doesn't have developers.

It has dewelopers.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri May 07, 2010 10:04 am

Something like coming a website is a lot of work. Its hard to find people willing to just volunteer all that time and effort. I think it would be better off to hire someone to do it, if we could get a donation drive going that could rake in enough cash.

I think the current site is really... complex. I mean the main menu has something like 50 different items.
If you look at other sites like youtube, they manage to put a LOT of similar kinds of functionality into significantly fewer pages.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 am

Blarg...

coming -> coding

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Fri May 07, 2010 12:37 pm

:nose:
but yeah, my sentiments match zarx's (minus the freudian slip). contracting out site coding has been brought up as a possibility. if we can get the funds for it.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri May 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Something like coding a website is a lot of work. Its hard to find people willing to just volunteer all that time and effort.
It's even harder to find people willing to do that if there is absolutely no system that allows developers to volunteer at all.

While I agree with you (in hiring a dev), I think we should still either take down the "calling all coders/devs!" notice on the main page and/or set up a system where it's actually possible for someone to volunteer.

Trying to find someone is only as impossible as we make it.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Sun May 09, 2010 5:55 pm

SQ wrote:Right now, the only thing that mentions we need developers is on the front of the members page. It's very old, and tells potential users to join the developers usergroup... Which at this point does not exist.
Judging from the join dates of the people in the (not publicly visible) Programmers group, I'm guessing the functionality broke during the upgrade to phpBB3. I never noticed because activity in that forum is so dead.

A brief history of my work for the site:
When people wanted a "journal reply" system back in the day, I asked Phade for the code for the journal system. In Spring 2002 I created journal reply functionality and he never put it online. I thought, "screw it", and left it at that. I'm not sure what he was thinking (and I can't remember exactly what I thought) when he named me site coder when he resigned, but I think I was in denial about the whole thing.

Around mid-2006, I got tired of seeing all the unanswered threads in Site Feedback & Site Help, and bugged Phade and derobert for access to change stuff. (I did have some level of access, but hadn't used it) I went on to make the Donators Forum, AMV Alerts, Download Queue, and random stuff. I wanted to do streaming, but couldn't meet Phade's requirements so I didn't bother. Corran made it work out. I don't have as much time as I used to, but I just did the "AMV Spotlight" which Corran's code made fairly easy to do.

Anyway, there are/were a lot of people in that inactive forum, but few people were allowed to modify the code that I know of. In short, granting access is done by derobert, not me, so I never learned the process.
SQ wrote:How come there's no AIM Kissy face? We used to use that all the time.
I think I started messing with the selection after it fell into disuse. Added.
Didn't want to put in one that didn't match the phpbb2 style?
Yes and no. As I mentioned, I edited a couple to match the style, but with others there was no point.
Alsoalso, is anything being done about the original intention of the post - is there a developers group or a contact email or something now?
That's kind of more important than some emotes, I think. Unless you don't want [more] developers.
It's been discussed, but I don't think there's anything concrete to announce at this time, though dwp alluded to something.
Kionon wrote:Silly SQ. The Org doesn't have developers. It has dewelopers.
I can has theme song?
I think the current site is really... complex. I mean the main menu has something like 50 different items.
If you look at other sites like youtube, they manage to put a LOT of similar kinds of functionality into significantly fewer pages.
I thought some items in the new expandable menus (which both Corran and I worked on) were questionable, like "Site Help Forum" when you can go to the forums and then the subforum, but figured, "meh I can collapse it".
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”