Best rendering settings?

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Re: Best rendering settings?

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun May 02, 2010 5:39 pm

kickass331 wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
kickass331 wrote:it's called efficiency. WAV takes up more space than flac or wavpack, Lossless takes up more space than MPEG-2, encoding is about compression.
(the rest is just you boasting, so I omitted it)

Not that much and you can lose quality or make mistakes in that process. Also saying someone cares about space with today's prices of HDDs (most of editors I know have TBs of space) is nonsense.
lose quality? FLAC is Lossless, PCM is Lossless, FLAC Compression levels are for optimizing in silence and low waveform amplitude. PCM is not an Adaptive encoder, it is linear. Also, I generally prefer FLAC because it sounds cooler and is open source. And so what if the space you save is negligible, Whenever I archive material, I put it in non-solid ultra inefficient 7-zip containers that take 10 times longer to open and only open with 7-zip. Why? Because of distribution purposes. Sure, physical media is rarely limited, but cloud and infastructure media relies on efficiency. If youtube streamed lagarith, do you think millions of people would go there every day? I think not, for client/ server bandwidth, storage, decoding, upload time, and in addition transcoding the lossy uploads into futile lossless streaming videos. The information age is defined by the amount of data complexity you can preserve. Codecs were designed with the intention of efficiency as the very top most priority. this applies as well in commercial industries such as broadcast television, in fact interlacing was developed for efficiency, and interlacing is one of the most discussed topics on AV forums universally. That's my bowl of nachos.
Yep, we can talk about eficiency when you download stuff.
When you make lossless, edit, make render, encode, delete render and lossless, any type of saving is basically useless since you end up with final encode only anyways. Yes, I do listen to flac. But editing with flac instead of wav is like spitting in the ocean - "Hey, I saved 30% out of 30MB for few days/weeks".

Unless you save all of your subclips and renders, in which case i can understand you constantly run out of space and have to keep it smaller for the price of quality and get new HDDS |:

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 pm

When I rip material, I have to basically decrypt the dvd/blu ray and store uncompressed VOBs on my Hard Drive, this takes up many times the space of the material I use for editing. While I am doing AviSynth work, I have to have this original material, and when I encode the source I have to have both. Then if I'm happy I can remove the original material. If I am doing a rather large project that takes multiple blu rays, I could be dealing with 100s of gbs of space being taken up by these decrypted raw files. That's why if I can cut the amount of space my source files take in half by encoding as MPEG-2, MPEG-4, etc. then safely remove the decrypted vobs, I have nearly the same quality and plenty of space to add more raw material, not to mention encoding more source material. Decrypting is an unfortunate step, and me being anti-DRM, anti-HDCP, and a true believer in an open and trusting media, game, music world feel like a fucktard when I buy these shitty discs. They cost money and they usually fuck up the PQ, I rather just download but those are optimized for efficiency or if they are well encoded take multiple human lifespans to download at my connection speed, and I can't get any faster where I live. That's why I'm moving first chance I get. My dad wants to kill me and I fucking hate this neighborhood.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun May 02, 2010 5:58 pm

No one was talking about blu rays in the first place. Most of the people still work with DVDs.

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:24 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:No one was talking about blu rays in the first place. Most of the people still work with DVDs.
still, huge projects involve huge amounts of decrypted vobs.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Sun May 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Umm...CoreAVC is just a decoder. And seriously, stop bragging and spitting out names and acronyms trying to sound important. You're just as bad as Mister Hatt. I am really sick of these pretentious trolls trying to satisfy their own ego.
Insert clever text/image here.

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:10 am

NeoQuixotic wrote:Umm...CoreAVC is just a decoder. And seriously, stop bragging and spitting out names and acronyms trying to sound important. You're just as bad as Mister Hatt. I am really sick of these pretentious trolls trying to satisfy their own ego.
just because you don't understand what I'm talking about doesn't mean that I'm trying to talk all fancy like. When I say I emphasize efficiency and compression, I mean it.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”