SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

$100 Prize AMV Contest [Winners announced]

Post by SQ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:35 pm

WINNERS ANNOUNCED. GO HERE.

The $100 Prize AMV Contest
(AKA: P100)

This contest is based on the TRWYP Contest, which is a somewhat more structured (and organized) contest basically focused on making you wish you'd never entered.
The newly dubbed P100, however, keeps the same $100 prize but turns the focus more toward challenging what is acceptable in an AMV on the footage side, rather than on the music side (like how TRWYP does).

PRIZE: $100
There is only ONE prize. This is 100 USD paid via paypal or emailed amazon giftcard.
This means that all categories are pitted against eachother for this one prize.
While there may be consolation prizes, I make no guarantees to their existence or what they may even be.

DEADLINE:JUNE 30, 2010 JULY 10, 2010 JULY 13, 2010 (extended...Again)
You can turn in videos earlier, but I must have a link to download the video by this date (PM it or post it here).
If you have no place to upload it, let me know and I'll give you FTP info. But this is a last resort. Try megaupload or something first (if you can't use local).

If you believe you need more time, let me know.

JUDGING
Determining the winner is solely upon the creator(SQ). The video I like best will win.
All the categories are pitted against eachother, but they are slightly weighted based on preference (and in the categories section, they are listed as most wanted first).
That means that if something from the OC concept and the Visual Euphoria were tied, it is more likely that the OC Concept would win. This is not guaranteed, but more likely. So keep that in mind.

While the contest is based on another (TRWYP), this one has many more variables so this will be more or less an experiment. It is likely no videos will be disqualified, and if you do not meet all the requirements, this will not count against you too much in judging as I understand this contest is a learning experience.
After this contest is through, we'll learn from any mistakes/problems/criticisms and I'll work on making the next one (if it's worth it) better.

REQUIREMENTS
All categories have their own specific requirements in addition to these, so please pay close attention to that. The requirements listed here, however, are global.
- The video must be at least 45 seconds long, ideally at least one minute long.
- The video must not exceed 5 minutes 30 seconds.
- All bumpers, subtitles, watermarks, credits, etc., are not allowed unless artificially designed/placed by you.
- The AMV must be new material, specifically created for this contest. However, you do not have to keep the video secret, and can add it to the .org catalog/show it to anyone at any time.
- You MAY send betas to me(SQ) to test, however I will only tell you if you are accurately representing the category it was you wished to enter. I will provide no other tips/C&C
- You MAY use ANY video content (anime, cartoons, games, live action, etc).
- You MAY use ANY music (specific category permitting).
- You MAY use ANY distribution format as long as it is playable by Mac's VLC 0.9.10 Grishenko (Most are)
- You MAY submit more than one video
- You MAY submit a TRWYP video to this contest, if it applies, however it is highly unlikely you will win both contests.
- The video must not exceed 80mb. If you want/have to encode a separate version for me, that's fine.

CATEGORIES
There are a few things you can do here, all of them extremely different.
Please read through each one, they all have their own little quirks and requirements.
These are also in order of preference. So say, if something from the OC concept and the Visual Euphoria were tied, it is more likely that the OC Concept would win. This is not guaranteed, but more likely. So keep that in mind.

1. OC CONCEPT
Use the supplied images or create your own to make some type of "video" based around the Original Character(OC) Quatre Bornes "Q" Lee. This is loosely based.
You may make an AMV with an anime with a similar looking character (Such as Air), or you can make a MAD. Really, though, anything will suffice as long as it looks somewhat like the OC and is not a simple slideshow. Be creative.

REQUIREMENTS
- Use of images OR footage/content that bears a resemblance to that character (basically grey/white haired male)
- (optional) use of information regarding the character. here, here or a serial webstory with him as a main character.

EXAMPLES
- An Air AMV (the main character looks similar to Q)
- A random MAD if you're not sure what a MAD is.
- "Not a slideshow"
- A mock movie trailer (Provided it has something to do with Q, you could do a project similarly)

2. VISUAL EUPHORIA
Create a video that is visually pleasing to the eye via over-abundance of mattes, masks, or other assorted video effects and/or motion graphics.
It should more closely resemble VJing rather than a traditional AMV.

REQUIREMENTS
- A focus on many masks/mattes used at once, while optional, is preferred.
- Rectangular-based mattes and masks should be avoided (no piano keys or traditional split screen)
- Video copilot and other such motion graphics stock IS allowed
- There should be a preference toward "artsy" videos
- There does not need to be an identifiable source video/footage (i.e. you can create everything in After Effects with no base anime)
- An emphasis on transitions through masks, while optional, is preferred
- Typography videos are allowed
- There must be a discernible attempt made to match the music (so this must be a "music video" not an art piece with a soundtrack)

EXAMPLES
- Decoy's Bleach Technique Beat would qualify for this category
- A sample of what I mean when I say 'artsy'
- Video copilot stock samples
- Another 'artsy' sample. Imagine the possibilities when you use these as track mattes.
- A Kinetic Typography video

3. OVERLOADED ACTION SYNCH WITH NO ACTION
This is a video encouraging you to synch to every beat or sound in a song, typical of most action videos (hence 'action synch), however the video 'story' itself is barred from being action. This involves what is often called "over synching" and is often very annoying to the eye for AMVs.
This AMV must have some type of story - character profile, romance, etc., - but the story CAN NOT focus on any type of action(literal action, that is- no fight scenes or things exploding).
There may be action elements - an occasional fight scene, in example - but this is frowned upon and you should do your best to avoid it.

REQUIREMENTS
- Synch as much as possible to every beat in the song
- If your song has lyrics, avoid synching with the lyrics and instead focus on primarily action synch (although some slip-ups may occur. That's understandable)
- The video must have a story OTHER than 'lol things exploded and it looks cool and moves fast!'
- There are no pre-set requirements on what type of song you may use for this, however faster paced songs are preferred.

EXAMPLES
- Emong's "The Fall of an Empire" is a good example of over-synching (visual effects are not a requirement for this category, however).

4. LYRIC SYNCH AMV WITH ONLY ACTION
This video encourages you to ignore the music entirely and focus on lyric synch only. That is to say, rather than changing scenes on a drumbeat, you would change scenes at the end of a sung word and/or sentence. The 'story' of the video itself however, must be action, and not focused on something else (such as a character profile).
This means that the story will revolve around fight scenes and the like, rather than any real/deep developments.

REQUIREMENTS
- Synch as much as possible to the lyrics of a song only, and ignore the instruments/beat as much as possible. (Treat the vocals as the only instrument)
- The song used must have lyrics
- The song used does not have to have underlying music (the song can be a capella)
- 'Beat boxing' in songs (throat-based noises as instrumentals rather than actual words) should be avoided
- The video's main theme or 'story' must be action-oriented (fighting, explosions, etc.)

EXAMPLES
- This is an example of lyric synch (notice how the scene changes when words change). But keep in mind that this is a drama video, and your video must be action-focused.
Also, this video uses a lot of beat synch (which should be avoided). This is not the best example, but it's the only one I know of currently with a good deal of lyric synch in it. If you have a better example, please let me know.
- Here's another example of lyric synch, with less beat synch in it. However, the song is rather slow-paced so I'm not sure if the idea comes across very well as an example. Again, this is a drama video and your submission should be an action video.
PLEASE if you know of any better examples, let me know.

HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO
Simply PM me or post in this thread the following things:
- link to download your video
- what category you are submitting to
- whether it is all right to link others (in this thread) to your video (if you PM it to me) before the deadline
- the anime and song used in your video, if no .org catalog page exists for the video. (If a .org entry exists, just link me to that)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Happy vidding, dudes and dudettes. =3

PLEASE ask me anything, if you have any questions!

Also, comments/complaints/criticism on the contest itself would be appreciated.

ENTRIES
Don't be intimidated if someone interpreted the category differently from you. I realize my descriptions are vague. I've decided no one will be disqualified for "misinterpreting" a category. As long as you show you tried, that's all that matters. You can still win this if you "misinterpreted" the category.

SINCE THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED, I'VE LINKED ALL YOUR VIDEOS-

2. VISUAL EUPHORIA
noelle675 'kinetic typography'

3. OVERLOADED ACTION SYNCH WITH NO ACTION
Bm-atticus - "Two Worlds, One Beautiful Friendship"
Anime: Death note.
Song: Powerman 5000 - When Worlds Collide

4. LYRIC SYNCH WITH ONLY ACTION
Last edited by SQ on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 27 times in total.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Re: $100 Prize AMV Contest

Post by NS » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:52 pm

hehe, I already usually edit like the lyric sync category asks for :3... I'll be attempting to make something for this.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:54 pm

Same here. I needed a concept for a video to make in May, and this works nicely. :D

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Awesome.
Well if you guys have any suggestions (such as deadline extension) let me know.

I kind of just threw some arbitrary stuff up, I have no idea how much average time it takes to make a video these days.
StandardQuip

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:26 pm

Involving money in this hobby always has been and always will be a horrible idea. At the very least you can't even claim the copyright infringement isn't being done for profit. :down:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Meh, never stopped me the last two times.

Unless one of the .org staff wants to shut me down, I'll still do this. =3
StandardQuip

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:11 pm

OC, action, action, action.

I'm outta here :down:

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:OC, action, action, action.

Action synch and visual euphoria aren't action videos.

Theoretically for the action synch video you could do a classical piece as long as you managed to synch up every violin strum(?) or something.
StandardQuip

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:12 pm

somone should rotoscope a black and white ichigo into paprika, and make him wear a little black dress.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:10 pm

SQ wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:OC, action, action, action.

Action synch and visual euphoria aren't action videos.

Theoretically for the action synch video you could do a classical piece as long as you managed to synch up every violin strum(?) or something.
Theoretically you are right.

Practically it's as I've stated :>

Return to “AMV Contests”