Problems

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Mastamind
Org Profile

Re: Problems

Post by Mastamind » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Editing directly with the vobs...?
It's much more comfortablt to edit with lossless avi's. They're usually faster to work with and of course you can have them deinterlaced and filtered if necessary. Keep in mind that if you're working directly with the dvd's files, they're likely going to be interlaced and in need of cleaning up, and running them through avisynth+virtualdub should fix that easily.

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Mastamind wrote:Editing directly with the vobs...?
It's much more comfortablt to edit with lossless avi's. They're usually faster to work with and of course you can have them deinterlaced and filtered if necessary. Keep in mind that if you're working directly with the dvd's files, they're likely going to be interlaced and in need of cleaning up, and running them through avisynth+virtualdub should fix that easily.
nope. dgindex-›avisynth->makeavis->vegas->mpeg-2->amv->h264
ImageImageImageImageImage

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:52 pm

kickass331 wrote:nope. dgindex-›avisynth->makeavis->vegas->mpeg-2->amv->h264
subclipping:
dgindex-›avisynth->avi clips->vegas->amv->h264
filemounting:
dgindex-›avisynth->mounted avis->vegas->amv->h264

I still feel you are doing unnecessary job

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:03 pm

Wait, wtf? Why in the world would you recompress to MPEG-2 again and then to H.264? Ever heard of generation loss? As far as editing VOBs with directly, that will only be viable in very certain circumstances. The source would have to be very clean and progressively encoded on the DVD, which is very rare.
Insert clever text/image here.

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:55 pm

NeoQuixotic wrote:
Wait, wtf? Why in the world would you recompress to MPEG-2 again and then to H.264? Ever heard of generation loss? As far as editing VOBs with directly, that will only be viable in very certain circumstances. The source would have to be very clean and progressively encoded on the DVD, which is very rare.
yes I have heard of it, it's because of quantization and qpels, also the matrix used. I wouldn't re-encode to mpeg-2 if vegas had a reliable timecode while framecasting. Framecasting on every computer I have resulted in both skipping and inaccurate timeline.

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:56 pm

kickass331 wrote:
NeoQuixotic wrote:
yes I have heard of it, it's because of quantization and qpels, also the matrix used. I wouldn't re-encode to mpeg-2 if vegas had a reliable timecode while framecasting. Framecasting on every computer I have resulted in both skipping and inaccurate timeline.
also crashing, generation loss is only significant on audio sources. I always do FLAC or other lossless when I rip CDs.

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”