Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Post by Bauzi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Kionon wrote: That was a tongue in cheek response, normal org banter. You're a veteran now, so I am much more likely to twit you than I would some newbie. There was no genuine offense meant.
Oh you only treat veterans like that? Well than it's ok. No seriously it is.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:47 pm

There is now an HD tutorial for this, but I have, as yet, only put together Part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHOgXII3q4
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:36 am

Kionon wrote:There is now an HD tutorial for this, but I have, as yet, only put together Part 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHOgXII3q4
Kionon, real stuttering hero. <3

Inkwolf
Org Profile

Post by Inkwolf » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:29 pm

I probably did something wrong, but I spent the whole afternoon trying to get a working copy of AMVApp installed in Wine. In the end all that happened was that my old copy of Visualhub (which worked great yesterday) went freaky and then, when I reinstalled it from an old backup, stopped working altogether. I had to download and reinstall ffmpeg and all the other video codecs I could think of. It's working again, now, but will no longer allow me to enter the code to pass audio through uncompressed.

I could use advice. Or sympathy. Or a boot to the head. Or whatever.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 am

How odd. Can you walk me through your process?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Inkwolf
Org Profile

Post by Inkwolf » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:44 am

Sorry to be such a whiner, I hate not knowing what I'm doing.

Okay, attempting installation again:

1. Open Wine Bottler
2. Click Create Custom Prefix, select amvapp-21.exe, click Silent Install, then Install button
3. Save as AMVApp.app in Applications
4. Click Okay when warning comes up.
5. Click through 'wizard' accepting licenses. It says it wants to save in 'C\program files\AMV app, wherever the heck 'C' is on a Mac. I've usually changed the location--is that wrong? Not changing this time.
6. Plug-ins: I usually chose Keep Current Plug-ins folder. Choosing backup this time. Just in case.
7. Wizard asks me to find my Premiere Plugins Folder. I have no frogging idea. Hit cancel button.
8. Video Decoder: select supported codecs. I usually added MPEG-2 to the selected list. Not touching it this time. Not adding any extra audio codecs, either.
9. Says it will run tests in Windows Media Player.
Test1--version test. Nothing happens.
Test2--Colorbars test. Nothing happens.
Automatically creating a D2v file. Get window saying Testing MPEG-2 (etc) briefly.
MPeg2 test 1: Nothing happens.
MPeg2 test 2: Nothing happens.
MPeg2 test 3: Nothing happens.

Asks if all tests were successful. Click 'No.' Get message saying the installation is complete. Wizard finishes.

Asks me to select a start file that will be activated when I double-click the application icon. It's a long list of stuff this time. Avisynth is not listed, though the plug-ins, the uninstaller, and the install file are. Selecting VirtualDubMod.exe this time. (I think I let it just use the default the last times. But I remember, I saw this the last time, and there was only a choice of Windows Explorer and something else I didn't recognize.)

Say Prefix Created Successfully. I quite the XII installer thing and Wine Bottler.

Okay, this time the app actually starts up VirtualDubMod. Yay!

But when I try 'Open File with Avisynth," VOB files cause an error. And DV files aren't even recognized. Is something wrong, or do I just need to read the guides around here someplace?

At least my old programs are still working this time...

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:03 pm

You should have lied to it and said yes, that all tests were successful. I don't think I've ever told it no.

As for opening up VOBs in VDub... what?

You need to use DGIndex to index the ripped VOBs, then have the AVS file call the .d2v file. Add filters, check in Vdub, then if satisfied, render out clips, move into .mov, place in editor, and go to town.

...are you using the way old version of AMVApp? I really need to edit the whole thing, I guess...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:13 pm

Well, you CAN open VOBs in VirtualDub, at least the Mod variety, but not by using the "via AVISynth" option (unless you D2V it first, of course). Not that it's a great idea, but it is possible. I've done it before.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Scintilla wrote:Well, you CAN open VOBs in VirtualDub, at least the Mod variety, but not by using the "via AVISynth" option (unless you D2V it first, of course). Not that it's a great idea, but it is possible. I've done it before.
Yes, but that's slightly outside of the bounds of this process.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:11 am

Scintilla wrote:Well, you CAN open VOBs in VirtualDub, at least the Mod variety, but not by using the "via AVISynth" option (unless you D2V it first, of course). Not that it's a great idea, but it is possible. I've done it before.
And VirtualDub itself, now that the input plugin mechanism exists. The MPEG-2 input plugin supports VOB.

Of course, unless you're working with one of the few discs that use pulldown, I can't really recommend doing it that way either.

As to the issue with WineBottler - I really dislike that entire process. It's not a very solid approach, IMO. The menu it provides is nice, but there's a ton of other problems that you just don't get with a regular vanilla install of Wine from MacPorts (as the MacPorts one works identically to how Wine works in Linux, where it originated). I've generally had nothing but trouble with the OS X builds of Wine that come from WineBottler or the packages that preceded it. Not recognizing OS X's PATH, prefixes failing miserably to be created or run programs right, and so on.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Mac Software”