Like looking through the glass

vemalas
Org Profile

Like looking through the glass

Post by vemalas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 am

Hi there, need help again; i tried to do a search but it was in vain ^^

I'm getting the hang of Vegas now. Almost all are clear. I know how to do almost every simple, and a bit advanced steps. The thing is i really need to know how to do that thing - like you look through the glass (window, TV).

I know the theory. I should get a glass template, put it under the sequence i want to glass, and just get the opacity down for glass, thats it.

1. See, the thing is - where should i get this glass template? and i need it 1080p. (use photoshop? corel? i don't know how to work with either of these programs; but i could do it if you'd write ir how-to)
2. Would it really look like watching through glass if just opacity is down for it? should i do something more for a more realistic look?

Or i'm just blabbing random things here, and you need to do this differently - if so, please, help me how.

In advance, i thank you for your help. ^^

vemalas
Org Profile

Re: Like looking through the glass

Post by vemalas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Bump, anyone? :?

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:05 pm

You mean a shot of a window or the effect of actually looking through a window? If it's the latter, maybe a bit of color correction plus a reflection on the window pane should do it.
For a reflection just place a low-opacity clip over the pane and blur it. You might want to place a color gradient over the window (white in a top corner and transparent in a bottom corner) and experiment with the opacity. It should be pretty easy :up:

vemalas
Org Profile

Post by vemalas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes, i want an effect that you actually would feel like looking through a glass. Like some kind of glass layer, that seperates the viewer and actual footage.

I can't find any example now, but from what i have in hard drive, maybe this would give you an idea:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p?v=101467
Somwehere at begining - 0:22 - 30~ it looks like you look at that painting of house through the glass. It's very very subtile here, i want it to be more like a thick glass, like a window. Hard to describe.

If you could get in more detail how to do this, i would be grateful, Mastamind. I'm using Vegas 9.0.

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Did you try what I'd written before?
And the effect in that video can be recreated with "light rays". Set the sensitivity and strength of the rays to 0, and set the feather and x and y radius to 1 under "Bound Radius". There's also the camera movement that you can make in event pan/crop. Doesn't look like a window to me, but maybe a combination of the two things I described can give you the desired effect..?

vemalas
Org Profile

Post by vemalas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Mastamind wrote:Did you try what I'd written before?
And the effect in that video can be recreated with "light rays". Set the sensitivity and strength of the rays to 0, and set the feather and x and y radius to 1 under "Bound Radius". There's also the camera movement that you can make in event pan/crop. Doesn't look like a window to me, but maybe a combination of the two things I described can give you the desired effect..?
You didn't look close enough! ^^ No, it doesn't give that effect, i tried it and no, not so much, if any. Light rays jumps off the train. Forget that video, my mistake.

Now, i tried to do what you previously suggested, but actually didn't have any luck. That's why i hoped you could expand your few sentences into more detail, because sometimes it's hard for me to figure out what people suggests, cuz of my bad english ~.~

Should i take a white still frame, and correct it's color to more blue-ish? Should i lower the opacity? Should i place that still frame on top, and footage in below track? Or am i mistaken about the white still frame, and you thought that i had somekind of window template? (which i dont, and i need to create it apperantly?)

Sooo sorry for my dumb head... >.> You're the only one trying to help, please don't stop..

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:31 pm

Ok, no problem.
First off we probably aren't thinking of the same exact effect, you're the only one who knows precisely what it is you want to make unless you describe it with greater detail. My perception of what "looking through a window" should be is probably different from yours. I'm actually using a similar effect on one of my own videos. Download this beta and at 0:13, I made that window practically from scratch. Here's what you'd do to recreate that:
Place the image you want to actually be seeing through the window on a bottom layer. On a layer right over that, place the image you want as a reflection (in my case the starry night sky) and set the opacity to about 10-30%. I gave that a slight blur as well. On a layer above that, I used a color gradient from "media generators" in which there was white in the top left corner, and transparent in the bottom right. I did this to give the window that shiny appearance. And of course on top of that I had the actual masked out frame of the window.
This is just to give you an idea of how I did it, but by no means is this the only or correct way of approaching it. You might not want a reflection, for example. Try it out, play around with settings, you're bound to get the result you're looking for. :up:

vemalas
Org Profile

Post by vemalas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Yay! After half a day of trying finally i got at least a decent looking glass effect. Not quite perfect, but it's a start.

Thank you very very much. ^^

elijahbel
Org Profile

Post by elijahbel » Mon May 31, 2010 4:37 am

Sounds a little technical for me, I would advice you to take help of some other experienced person.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”