Transparent text that cancels out effects

kossyremp
Org Profile

Transparent text that cancels out effects

Post by kossyremp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 am

Ok, so I'm not entirely sure If this is even possible but ill try my best to be specific and hopefully some of you great editors can help me. This is being edited in Sony Vegas Pro 9. So I want to add a lot of moving text for one particular part of my AMV. The footage that the text is going to be placed over has Color correction (secondary) making the footage black and white except anything red still keeping its color. What I want is for my text to be transparent with black outlines. However, I want whatever is visible through the transparent text not to have the color correction effect and to show up in color. Does anybody think they could help me with this?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Transparent text that cancels out effects

Post by mirkosp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:25 am

In vegas you'd have to do a bunch of project nestings probably. In premiere and after effects you can easily achieve this through the track matte.
In any case, as far as vegas is concerned, here's what I think you can do:
- In the most inner nested project create a blue text with a black outline and place it on a green background
- Nest this project in another project. Place this nested project layer on top of the original scene without the color correction, and apply a chroma key on the nested layer with the text set on blue. This way you'll have the scene showing through the letters, with the black outline, on a green background.
- Now import this nested project into your main vegas project. Chroma key the green background away and you should have the result you're seeking.
Unfortunately, there is no proper track matte in Vegas, so this is the way to simulate it, albeit it does not offer the same freedom with alpha values that actual track matte does.

Alternatively to this method, you can probably mask the layer without the color correction with the letter shapes, but I'm not sure how easy will the motion control be at this point.

kossyremp
Org Profile

Post by kossyremp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks a lot, much appreciated :up:

Pegtart
Org Profile

Post by Pegtart » Thu May 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Very Easy Lol Open up vegas put the text and click properties and where it says Text color next to the colors is a gradient thing drag it all the way down so its transparent then goto effect and put Outline

Return to “Effects & Techniques”