VideoLan Movie Creator 0.1.0 (pre-alpha) for Windows

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

VideoLan Movie Creator 0.1.0 (pre-alpha) for Windows

Post by Qyot27 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:14 pm

http://trac.videolan.org/vlmc/wiki/Downloads

I'd been playing around with VLMC for the last two or three weeks on my Ubuntu setup, under which I did (and still have to) compile it myself. But earlier this evening I checked back on the main site and discovered that a build of it for Windows was released on the 10th.

It is still very primitive in features, but the layout is infinitely more comfortable to me than the other FOSS NLEs that get suggested or that I've tried, and with some (ok, a lot, it's still really bare-bones at the moment) refinement could very easily be an excellent alternative to Premiere or Vegas.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Panky
Org Profile

Re: VideoLan Movie Creator 0.1.0 (pre-alpha) for Windows

Post by Panky » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Really? On this week I remembered about this and wanted to look for the development of this thing myself, but only found the one that has to be compiled that you are mentioning.

Also, it's 25mb? Its worth checking out.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 am

I tried it out a few days ago, and to be honest, its nowhere near ready for being considered an alternative to anything at this point.

Here are just some of the problems I ran into on the windows build:
- Doesn't support VFW, so that means it doesn't support avisynth or the Lagarith lossless codec. It is also unlikely to ever support these.
- Crashed when I put an uncompressed wav file on the timeline
- AAC audio didn't seem to work
- was limited to 2 decimals in the framerate
- The interface was extremely laggy and unusable. When I would press the play button, the actual video display lagged about 4-5 seconds behind the timeline marker. When I pressed stop, it would take another 4-5 seconds for the video display to actually stop.
- It's impossible to put 2 clips side by side without zooming in

I also experienced no less than 3 random crashes within a period of about 15-20 minutes of testing.
Once some of these problems get ironed out, it might be a pretty decent editor, but as of right now, it is simply completely unusable (at least on windows).

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I tried it out a few days ago, and to be honest, its nowhere near ready for being considered an alternative to anything at this point.

Here are just some of the problems I ran into on the windows build:
- Doesn't support VFW, so that means it doesn't support avisynth or the Lagarith lossless codec. It is also unlikely to ever support these.
- Crashed when I put an uncompressed wav file on the timeline
- AAC audio didn't seem to work
- was limited to 2 decimals in the framerate
- The interface was extremely laggy and unusable. When I would press the play button, the actual video display lagged about 4-5 seconds behind the timeline marker. When I pressed stop, it would take another 4-5 seconds for the video display to actually stop.
- It's impossible to put 2 clips side by side without zooming in

I also experienced no less than 3 random crashes within a period of about 15-20 minutes of testing.
Once some of these problems get ironed out, it might be a pretty decent editor, but as of right now, it is simply completely unusable (at least on windows).
It also crashed on me, and call me stupid but I couldn't seem to find how to put a cut clip into the timeline :(
We have to give it some time, though, I guess they're heading for bug hunting first, details on the interface later and add other features. I've seen it's quite a community that are creating the program.
So, it's not usable at all for now, but it looks like it can actually be good if fixed (it isn't even an alpha yet).

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:10 pm

. I don't see how this can be of any used to anybody. It would play in the right screen but not the left.
Audio was out of the question. When I moved the cursor for scene advance, it just froze-up for about
45 seconds then would jump-forward & leap-back to where it was to begin with.
. Beta 10 ... no no no no; nothing is currently doing anything here. ( sorta reminds me of when Virtual-DUB
was first being tested except, he never said it was ready for testing)

. it may be a while before your ready. don't worry about getting it multi-platformed until you have it fully
operational in its native form. If its C++ then it could function in all platforms but, don't rush it. 8-)

looks good so far. 8-)

Return to “Video Editing Software”