2010 Anime Central AMV Contest Results

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
outlawed
Org Profile

Re: 2010 Anime Central AMV Contest Rules

Post by outlawed » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:00 am

Scintilla wrote:I didn't even know this could be an issue. I'd always been under the impression that software players didn't even bother applying the 3:2 pulldown, because PCs have no problem playing stuff back at 23.976 progressive -- I always thought the flag was just there for standalone DVD players and MPEG playback cards that were outputting to a display that required 29.97 interlaced.
Which player is rendering it at 29.97 interlaced? I'm curious now.
I think it was an old powerdvd directshow filter I was messing with during testing. I can't remember at the moment. Most media players will ignore it. As far as using all kinds of different splitters and directshow filters on windows that is probably more suspect. I think one time at a friend's place when we were reviewing some of the AMV archive we were trying to figure out wtf the interlaced videos weren't de-interlacing on the fly and then found out someone had setup an override and it was using a hardware codec for this tv card he had instead of the usual MPEG-2 filters used by MPC.

To answer the real why: We don't primarily treat anything like it's in the NTSC world anymore (hence the switch to requiring progressive 2 years ago and making it a recommendation 3 years ago) but I still need to be prepared and have a fallback plan (DVD). So I tend to prefer to just not have the flag set so later when I do things with the archive down the road beyond even this year I don't have to worry about "will this software app or avisynth setup" treat this as interlaced or progressive. Usually when I need to prep a conversion I always use an intermediate like huffyuv exported from an avisynth setup. Sometimes I've had files choke on that though and have had to rely on other programs which have limitations or behaviors I don't like or am not as familiar with.

Niwa
Cake Addiction
Org Profile

Re: 2010 Anime Central AMV Contest Rules

Post by Niwa » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Let's see if we can fix up Alter a bit this upcoming week, we'll eventually make it before the deadline.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Re: 2010 Anime Central AMV Contest Rules - Due 4/19/2010

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey guys, I updated the first post, be sure to check the first message again for all relevant information.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:56 am

I've submitted.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 pm

6 days guys! Come on I wanna see more of your amvs :D

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:48 pm

4 days guys! Just four days remain! And remember you have to at least be in the process of uploading by the time the deadline passes. This means that just because you have an account on the ftp server you're not guaranteed to be in the contest.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:35 am

SailorDeath wrote:4 days guys! Just four days remain! And remember you have to at least be in the process of uploading by the time the deadline passes. This means that just because you have an account on the ftp server you're not guaranteed to be in the contest.
That is correct. At the deadline I will disable all FTP accounts. Only those who are actively uploading their videos will be allowed to continue. Effectively, this means that you need to request your ftp access and begin uploading your video before Midnight on the 20th EDT. Don't wait until the last min to request an FTP account. While I plan to be more punctual with authoring accounts as the deadline draws near it still may take a few hours at least for you to receive your account (after all, I do still have to work and attend classes.) The solution: request EARLY.
ImageImageImageImage

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 am

ngsilver wrote:The solution: request EARLY.
ahahahahahahahahahhHAAHAAAHAAAHA!!

These are amv editors we're talking about here...
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Cenit
LinkinBall Z
Org Profile

Post by Cenit » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:32 pm

I won't make it in time. Need one more week to finish properly. Sorry guys.
"Watch me. That's the real joke."

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 am

Less than 48 hours remain! Hurry up guys!

Return to “AMV Contests”