Sakura-Con AMV Contest Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
zeiram_00
Org Profile

Re: Sakura-Con AMV Contest Winners

Post by zeiram_00 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:17 am

I understand that more than one video in a category could win it. After watching contest videos i can usually figure out how it was possible for a video to win, but Sword&Sorrow was a video that shouldn't have been a finalist. All the vid was was a recap/summary of the OVA (focused on the girl's part in the storyline) with less happy elevator music. I've seen the OVA and considering previous kenshin vids winning, i'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that most people attending have probably seen it as well. I don't need a refresher. Winning amv's usually keep your attention, tell a good story, express emotion, have really pretty special effects, have mass fanboy/girl appeal and/or any combination of these. Sword&Sorrow did none of the above. So again, how?
maybe someone who voted for it could try and explain why they thought it was good, because this is the first time i've been at a complete loss for why a vid would win.
People are Stupid, Individuals are Intelligent

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 am

zeiram_00 wrote:I understand that more than one video in a category could win it. After watching contest videos i can usually figure out how it was possible for a video to win, but Sword&Sorrow was a video that shouldn't have been a finalist. All the vid was was a recap/summary of the OVA (focused on the girl's part in the storyline) with less happy elevator music. I've seen the OVA and considering previous kenshin vids winning, i'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that most people attending have probably seen it as well. I don't need a refresher. Winning amv's usually keep your attention, tell a good story, express emotion, have really pretty special effects, have mass fanboy/girl appeal and/or any combination of these. Sword&Sorrow did none of the above. So again, how?
maybe someone who voted for it could try and explain why they thought it was good, because this is the first time i've been at a complete loss for why a vid would win.
Your definition of what makes a video "good" is different then what other people think... that's pretty much it.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:57 am

Pwolf wrote:
zeiram_00 wrote:I understand that more than one video in a category could win it. After watching contest videos i can usually figure out how it was possible for a video to win, but Sword&Sorrow was a video that shouldn't have been a finalist. All the vid was was a recap/summary of the OVA (focused on the girl's part in the storyline) with less happy elevator music. I've seen the OVA and considering previous kenshin vids winning, i'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that most people attending have probably seen it as well. I don't need a refresher. Winning amv's usually keep your attention, tell a good story, express emotion, have really pretty special effects, have mass fanboy/girl appeal and/or any combination of these. Sword&Sorrow did none of the above. So again, how?
Your definition of what makes a video "good" is different then what other people think... that's pretty much it.
Agreed. The one thing I've learned from 4 years of amv contests is that they are totally and completely subjective. What a judge might like, the audience doesn't. What an editor might notice, non-editing audience members don't even see. People like what they like, regardless of how "good" we editors might think something is (or isn't).

Let it go. Trust me, it's not worth your time or energy QQ'ing about it. I learned that the long, hard way---but I'm much more sanguine about the whole thing now. :wink:

zeiram_00
Org Profile

Post by zeiram_00 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 am

I am NOT complaining about the video winning because i didn't like it.

i've seen many winners/finalists videos of several contests and regardless of whether i personally liked them or not i could see the appeal of the video and thus why it happened to win that contest (yes i know audience voting is extremely subjective)
What i am saying is that i found this video to be well below the quality of other contests finalists/winners and can not see the appeal for it winning. that's why i am asking for someone to explain the appeal of it to me.

So unless you voted for the video to win i don't need anymore "get over it" remarks. If someone who voted for it could give me one valid reason why they decided it was best in category then i could find some peace in the issue.

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:24 am

zeiram_00 wrote:I am NOT complaining about the video winning because i didn't like it.

i've seen many winners/finalists videos of several contests and regardless of whether i personally liked them or not i could see the appeal of the video and thus why it happened to win that contest (yes i know audience voting is extremely subjective)
What i am saying is that i found this video to be well below the quality of other contests finalists/winners and can not see the appeal for it winning. that's why i am asking for someone to explain the appeal of it to me.

So unless you voted for the video to win i don't need anymore "get over it" remarks. If someone who voted for it could give me one valid reason why they decided it was best in category then i could find some peace in the issue.
You're not going to get the answer you're looking for. I don't understand why you're making such a big deal about this video while there were several other videos in the contest, IMO, that were "well below the quality of other contests finalists/winners" as well. You don't see me demanding you or someone else to explain themselves do you? As i said before, i didn't vote for it but it's a solid video. It would've been my second pick though. It's well edited and solid. Yes, it follows the story of the OVA pretty closely but there's nothing wrong with that. It's just a difference of opinion, accept that and move on. Obviously other people see something you don't. I see a well edited video, you don't. Is that answer not good enough? You'll get the same answer from someone who voted for it.

zeiram_00
Org Profile

Post by zeiram_00 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:26 pm

i haven't seen all the finalists videos (mostly just the winners posted in this thread) and that video just caught me in a bad, confusing way. but if you say this year's contest was not up to par compared with others then i can chalk this up to me just expecting more and this being a bad year for the contest. I'll accept that reasoning in answer to my query.

Pie Row Maniac
Org Profile

Post by Pie Row Maniac » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Frankly, I'm puzzled how it won myself.

And I made the thing. :amv:
Image Image

thundercatlord
Org Profile

Post by thundercatlord » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:13 am

Congrats!"GoHancock" is now available:

Pie Row Maniac
Org Profile

Post by Pie Row Maniac » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:26 pm

thundercatlord wrote:Congrats!"GoHancock" is now available:

What intrigues me the most about this video is, before I heard about it, I had this hankering to watch the Great Saiyaman Saga a few weeks ago.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD THUNDER :amv:
Image Image

RolltheStampede
Org Profile

Post by RolltheStampede » Sat May 08, 2010 10:03 pm

whoops
Newest Video:Cirque du Kaliedo
Video Pimpage Loves got to be there | Sungazing | 7 Seas of Enishi

Return to “AMV Contests”