Live Action Videos [Hear me out please]

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: Live Action Videos [Hear me out please]

Post by Enigma » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:01 am

OropherZero wrote:
Prodigi wrote: I would however be very interested in seeing someone create a sister site for live action videos.
This. Keep the layout and structure but maybe change the branding colour.
This.

But.
OropherZero wrote:Actually it'll just come down to $$$ -_-
And who'd pay for all that?

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Prodigi wrote:Even adding in a sub forum for live action announcements will create problems. From there people will want to have their live action videos catalogued, and then want to be able to upload them.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Prodigi wrote:To the suprise of most (I'm sure) I'm against this.

The AMV community is rather large, however despite this it still does mainly operate as an 'Inner Circle'. While there are thousands of videos being uploaded, only a handful are announced. Now if we made a sub-forum for Live Action videos I'd see the announcements for LAMVs taking over AMVs within a matter of months, depending how long it takes for this information to filter back to the vidding community on LJ. The vidding community on LJ sees mass dumps of videos on a daily basis (mostly garbage) and very few of them get any attention. Announce to these people they have a new place they can post their videos and I guarrantee you they'll come flooding.

I don't want it to sound like a whiny "OMGBUTTHISISAMVORGNOTMVORG", but I mean really, it <i>is</i> a-m-v.org

The site was designed for the cataloguing and archiving of every AMV. Even adding in a sub forum for live action announcements will create problems. From there people will want to have their live action videos catalogued, and then want to be able to upload them.

I would however be very interested in seeing someone create a sister site for live action videos.
Prod, we deal with the same shitty flood of AMVs anyway, now there will just be different content. And as said multiple times, this isn't a way to UPLOAD videos to the org, it's simply a forum where one can post links to their videos that they hosted [no youtube]. I don't see this getting much more out of hand than the regular topic, but slightly more active and better in terms of videos getting feedback.

ShadowNOS
Org Profile

Post by ShadowNOS » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:57 pm

I don't make LAMV's myself, but I'd be all for it.

:up:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Arashinome wrote:Prod, we deal with the same shitty flood of AMVs anyway, now there will just be different content. And as said multiple times, this isn't a way to UPLOAD videos to the org, it's simply a forum where one can post links to their videos that they hosted [no youtube]. I don't see this getting much more out of hand than the regular topic, but slightly more active and better in terms of videos getting feedback.
Yeah, how can YOU stop people bitching about not being able to upload IN FUTURE?

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:55 pm

Well, people are already bitching all the time, what harm could be a little more bitching? :ying:

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:26 pm

To me, this whole subject seems similar to a thought process that went through my head a few years back. People made hentai videos but had no real place to host them, or really to catalog them separately from every other video on this site. In light of this I decided to fill that gap. Now when someone has a hentai video they want hosting for they either come directly to me or someone tells them to look for me. Sure I can do a bit more to try to jazz up the system and make it easier, but in the end it takes time, money, and the will to do it.

The same can be said for setting something up for LAMVs. I know I've made one as of this time and probably will work with it a bit more in the future. For me, i just announced the vid with all my other vids. Sure, I'd like a separate place to announce and catalog LAMVs, I'm all for this. However I'm not willing to take the time to build it. Considering the scope of this site, it shouldn't be here. So if this is something many of us want, well... one of us should do it. I mean, that's pretty much how this place got started.
ImageImageImageImage

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:48 am

I think you guys are misunderstanding me here. I'm not trying to get the org to allow lamvs, or to catalog and upload them. I'm just saying there's no reason we couldn't have a LAMV subforum for people to announce their shit. I really don't see any reason why we couldn't do that.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 am

Arashinome wrote:I think you guys are misunderstanding me here. I'm not trying to get the org to allow lamvs, or to catalog and upload them. I'm just saying there's no reason we couldn't have a LAMV subforum for people to announce their shit. I really don't see any reason why we couldn't do that.
8bit_samurai wrote: And I'm aware you're just asking for a sub-forum for LAMVs and not for hosting nonAMVs (whether they are live action or not) and the such, but we already do have a forum for non anime related topics, which is the Donator's Forum.
Ileia wrote:I'm not against having a LAMV subforum, but it could turn into a "We should be able to upload LAMVs, we have a LAMV forum!" bawfest.
Prodigi wrote:The site was designed for the cataloguing and archiving of every AMV. Even adding in a sub forum for live action announcements will create problems. From there people will want to have their live action videos catalogued, and then want to be able to upload them.
Looks to me like it is understood, we're all just pointing out a possible repercussion.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 am

Ileia wrote:I'm not against having a LAMV subforum, but it could turn into a "We should be able to upload LAMVs, we have a LAMV forum!" bawfest.
Prodigi wrote:The site was designed for the cataloguing and archiving of every AMV. Even adding in a sub forum for live action announcements will create problems. From there people will want to have their live action videos catalogued, and then want to be able to upload them.
So what? Just tell them no. It's not like the admin(s) of a-m-v.org owe anyone anything. A subforum does not somehow automatically preclude uploads to the .org itself, and if it came down to that I'm pretty sure most of the people who are arguing for the subforum would be adamantly against it. Make a rule against bitching about not being able to upload to the .org or something - if people start complaining about not being able to upload here, and get no positive response, they'll either leave or learn to accept it. Just because people complain does NOT mean we have to provide them whatever it is they're asking for - ESPECIALLY from a site like this, which has given everyone a LOT for nothing in return.

As for the flooding problem...this is a legitimate concern, but I don't think it's as bad as it has been made out to be. Since we wouldn't be hosting the videos themselves, there's no real legal action (to the best of my knowledge) that anyone could take against the .org; HOWEVER, this could still attract people to this site who could do something about what a-m-v.org DOES do, which is host AMVs.

I don't think this would be an issue though. As has been stated several times, there are other vidding communities out there. The addition of an LAMV subforum would most likely not attract a significant number of new editors, since all it would be is a place to post self-hosted video downloads and receive feedback, which is the purpose of other vidding communities. There would be no reason for other people to suddenly migrate to the .org if there's no hosting advantage or any other type of advantage over their own communities; as such, I think that the LAMVs would stay almost entirely within the .org community itself, and we would see very little influx of pure-LAMV editors.

It's a good idea Joey. I would be much more inclined to watch LAMVs if there were an organized place to browse through them, but until there is I have very little interest in them.

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”