Adobe Premiere 6.0 - Timeline footage not showing in monitor

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Damatiru
Org Profile

Adobe Premiere 6.0 - Timeline footage not showing in monitor

Post by Damatiru » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Hey, I have video that I encoded into Avi using FFDshow with Mpeg-4 as the encoder and Xvid as the FOURCC. The footage originally worked in my timeline and showed up on the program monitor before and after being rendered just fine.
I recently had to reformat though, and now that I am settled and opened up the project again, the video no longer appears in the program monitor when I place new clips into the timeline.

I encoded the video originally using Virtual Dub, I am running Windows 7 and the only codec pack I use is Shark007 Win7 Codec Pack.

Thanks in advance

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Premiere 6.0 - Timeline footage not showing in monitor

Post by ngsilver » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 am

It could simply be due to it being an xvid file. Editors, Premier 6 especially (I know, I used to use it,) hate divx/xvid files and will often crash or just not work right. The fact you've been working fine up to now I find to be a miracle, but sometimes they do happen.

You might want to check that you can view these files in windows media player or media player classic (not VLC as it doesn't use directshow filters like premier does) to see if that is the cause.

Finally, I recomend that you simply load your AVI's into AVS scripts with avisynth and then use the AVS files in premier using the bait&switch method to replace the files. Then you will be sure it isn't premier hating your xvid avi source.

Actually, if I ever edit with xvid or any other compressed source I normally load into premier with an AVS script anyway even though my version of premier is known to handle xvid better then 6.0 did.
ImageImageImageImage

Damatiru
Org Profile

Post by Damatiru » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:26 am

The video does work properly in Windows Media Player, I am unfamiliar with Avisynth scripts and will look into it

Thanks!

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:33 am

I suggest you Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides Lovingly Overhauled Largely by Zarxrax</a> if you want to get familiar with the program and how it can work.

Unless you do other processing though the following code will probably be all you need in your script:

Code: Select all

avisource("video file.ext")
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Adobe Software”