CS3 Crashing Every 5 Minutes w/ AVS Files - Memory Issue?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
jescaflowne
Org Profile

CS3 Crashing Every 5 Minutes w/ AVS Files - Memory Issue?

Post by jescaflowne » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:22 am

Thanks for reading. I couldn't find a similar problem searching the forums, so apologies if this has been answered. I'll try to give as much detail as I can.

I'm editing with AVS files in CS3. I can work for about 5 minutes then Premiere will start acting up. Clips will no longer play via the "play" button (or spacebar) but I can still scrub them. Some clips in the bin will no longer load. Sometimes I get a message that Premiere is running low on memory and to save often and proceed with caution. Sometimes Premiere just crashes straight out. Though once the "play" command stops working I usually close and restart the program as I know the inevitable crash is on its way. I can basically work for 3-5 minutes then have to reopen the program.

I'm using a total of 16 episodes (avs files) and the only filters in the avs files are:
Telecide(order=1)
Decimate(cycle=5)
ConvertToRGB32()

I tried commenting out all the filters in the avs scripts but no dice. I am using a lot of subclips created from the avs episode files, which may be a problem?
I transferred the project to a different computer but I get the exact same issue on both.

A few more details that might be useful:
Avisynth Version: 2.5.8
AVS Premiere Plugin: 1.95
Hardware: Intel Dual Core CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 1.98 GB RAM

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm definitely not a techy person so hopefully there's just something simple I'm missing. Thanks!
-Jess

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: CS3 Crashing Every 5 Minutes w/ AVS Files - Memory Issue?

Post by Bauzi » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:25 am

Try this one in your script:

SetMemoryMax(8)

(or 4, 16, 32...)

It will limit the amount of RAM (in MB) that your script will use.

However I suggest a RAM upgrade. 4GB should be quite cheap. Especially older DDR2 modells.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

jescaflowne
Org Profile

Post by jescaflowne » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:10 am

Thanks, I will give that a whirl. It's strange because I have edited vids on this machine using a fair number of vob files in one project and didn't have these problems. Then again, I think I was using Premiere 7. Too bad you can't save projects as previous versions of Premiere :)

Hrm, I wonder if it's hating the 23.976 frame rate? I don't know why that would affect memory though. I may try assuming 24fps if your suggestion doesn't work just to see what happens.

jescaflowne
Org Profile

Post by jescaflowne » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:32 pm

The memory max 8 seemed to do that trick! Yay! Thank you SO much, I can now go forth in sanity.

Return to “Adobe Software”