AnimeNEXT 2010 AMV Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
ReligionX
Org Profile

AnimeNEXT 2010 AMV Contest

Post by ReligionX » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:06 am

Howdy folks,

I'm returning to AnimeNEXT 2010 to run the AMV Contest. All issues from last year are resolved, with the exception of the Dealer's Room volume. There is nothing that can be done about that. We are no longer accepting .wmv files. They will not display. If you have to submit a .wmv, it will be converted. We have upped the minimum resolution requirement to 640x480. We have dropped the maximum file size to 250 MB. You can submit a low quality DVD version of your video and a High Quality PC version of video. This year, your AMV will be played back in the correct aspect ratio, guaranteed. The blindingly bright Exit sign behind the left screen will be covered.

The rules are pretty much the same as last year. A lot of questions I received from editors last year have been answered and/or clarified in the rules. If you are not present at the convention to receive your prize, I will make sure to get your prize sooner than last year.

AnimeNEXT 2010 Home Page
http://www.animenext.org/

AnimeNEXT 2010 AMV Contest Rules
http://www.animenext.org/amv
AnimeNEXT 09, 10, 11 AMV Head, Zenkaikon 08, 09, 11 AMV Head, Tandokucon 07 AMV & Fan Parody Head
Zenkaikon V Website AnimeNEXT 2011

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: AnimeNEXT 2010 AMV Contest

Post by Scintilla » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:39 pm

As I already did over on the AnimeNEXT forum, I'd like to remind any Windows Movie Maker users who might be reading this that there is the option to export a DV AVI (under "Other" export formats) and then recompress to something smaller.
Or, if your DV exports come out wrong (this sometimes happens), then download this very high quality WMV profile to your WMM profiles directory (on Windows XP, this is C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\Profiles ) and use it to export (also under "Other").
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

pillsbury15
Org Profile

Post by pillsbury15 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:12 pm

I have a quick question in order to compete do you have to be at the convention or not

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 pm

pillsbury15 wrote:I have a quick question in order to compete do you have to be at the convention or not
No. We get entries every year from editors who I know don't show up.

Oh, and ReligionX, I just now noticed: most of the paragraph breaks seem to have disappeared from the AnimeNEXT AMV contest rules page, making for huge blocks of unbroken text (including your mailing address!). I'm guessing the formatting was lost in copy-and-paste?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

ReligionX
Org Profile

Post by ReligionX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:34 pm

pillsbury15 wrote:I have a quick question in order to compete do you have to be at the convention or not
Scintilla is correct. We give awards to winning editors if they are present at the convention, but we contact winning editors if they are not at the convention, to mail them their award. Please note that we also do not accept at-door submissions. There is a possibility, however, if there is an AMV panel this year, that you can ask those panelists to play your AMV and give you feedback, separate from the contest.
Scintilla wrote:Oh, and ReligionX, I just now noticed: most of the paragraph breaks seem to have disappeared from the AnimeNEXT AMV contest rules page, making for huge blocks of unbroken text (including your mailing address!). I'm guessing the formatting was lost in copy-and-paste?
I had noticed that a couple days ago. They fixed the line breaks, but the formatting is off. They will be fixing that in the next day or two. The rules are legible now.
AnimeNEXT 09, 10, 11 AMV Head, Zenkaikon 08, 09, 11 AMV Head, Tandokucon 07 AMV & Fan Parody Head

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

submitted :3

ReligionX
Org Profile

Post by ReligionX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:53 pm

NS wrote:submitted :3
Received and confirmed. You are lucky editor #3 to submit. Only 2.5 months left until the deadline. My favorite is the week before and the week of the deadline, where submission totals triple.

I'd like to make a rules clarification. I have poorly worded this, it seems. I have gotten several e-mails about this.

"Anime Music Videos must contain a majority of Japanese Animation. This may also include Japanese video game footage and Japanese manga. AMVs may contain small amounts of live action video and digital images. Any video that is not primarily an Anime Music Video will be disqualified."

You can make a whole AMV using only Japanese video games or only Japanese Manga.

ReligionX
Org Profile

Post by ReligionX » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 pm

This is your 2 month notice until the deadline.

If you have any technical or content questions, do not hesitate to ask. I am more than willing to look at an example of your AMV or another AMV to let you know whether your AMV will be disqualified for content, or if you are uncertain that it meets the criteria of an AMV.

ReligionX
Org Profile

Post by ReligionX » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:28 am

This is your official notice of 1 month until the deadline.

Please note, at this point, if you plan to submit by FTP, there may be a line-- the sooner you can submit, the better. If you plan to submit by mail, make sure you get it out at least 1 week before the deadline. And finally, if you plan to submit by uploading to somewhere else on the internet, and provide a link for me to download, you are a wonderful, beautiful person for doing so, and you can submit as close to midnight on the deadline as you want.

Since this is crunch time, I may not be able to get back to you, in full, in 24 hours. I was taking a long time to get back to people in the past 2 weeks. I was in a car accident (other guy's fault), and it has caused me to have to do a lot of unnecessary running around, and put a strain on my free time. I am fine now. As I receive your e-mails, I will send you an e-mail saying that I have received your e-mail, so you at least know you got through. When I have a chance, I will go through and fully respond to your e-mails.

If you have sent me an e-mail, and I have not gotten back to you, please send over another e-mail. I believe I have gotten in contact with everyone.

I will make post a 2 week notice and a 1 week notice. Thank you.

ReligionX
Org Profile

Post by ReligionX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 am

The staff meeting last Sunday provided me with some new, good and bad news. The good news is, all of the AMV Contest screenings should be at more reasonable hours than they were last year. The bad news is, because the attendance at the AMV Contest was so low in 2009, because of horrible scheduling (right after the con opened, and then when the dealer's room opened), we will be in a smaller section of the main events room, called the Green Room. This will resolve the issue with the back lighting behind the screen, and provide more confined audio, that should be able to better combat the dealer's room noise.

It is my hope, that with the possibility of AMV panels this year, and the better scheduling, in 2011, we will be back to a full on Main Events arrangement for the AMV Contest.

Return to “AMV Contests”