Split Frame Positioning in Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
kapparomeo
Org Profile

Split Frame Positioning in Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0

Post by kapparomeo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm terribly sorry to trouble you all - I appreciate that there's lots of Vegas threads already, and I'm afraid that I'm just another hopelessly ignorant newbie trying to muddle my way through video editing. :oops:

I've pored over the Help files for this but I haven't been able to find any function which describes my scenario, so if anyone is able to lend a hand I would be extremely grateful.

For context: I'm trying to create a parody of the Top Gear opening sequence (Youtube link for reference) with Azumanga Daioh, using Yukari's appalling driving as the link with Clarkson & Co.'s motorhead antics!

As you can see in the YouTube video linked above, a key characteristic of the opening sequence are the split frames, with several different shots sharing the same screen. However, I am having difficulty in replicating this effect in Vegas Platinum 9.0, because I can't disperse the frames across the screen, viz.

The difficultly comes from The Pan/Crop function only cutting out a window from the underlying video, whose position is fixed - so any attempt to move the frame doesn't shift the image I want, rather just rolls the window across to an irrelevant portion of the original shot, viz.

Is there any way to move not just the crop/pan frames, but the video itself, so that all of my shots of interest are dispersed in the manner of the Top Gear video?

Apologies for bothering you if this is a simple thing to do whose method I've overlooked - and thanks in advance for your time if it's a complicated one that requires explanation! :)

Haeresis
Org Profile

Re: Split Frame Positioning in Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0

Post by Haeresis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 am

Try using the cookie cutter effect along with Pan & Crop.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 pm

When you have position selected, and you zoom out with the big fuckin' "F" thing, you should be able to move it around the screen and have the whole image move around, I just opened vegas and tried replicating your problem, but it worked fine for me.

kapparomeo
Org Profile

Post by kapparomeo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid that I'm still no further along.
Try using the cookie cutter effect
Unfortunately, that's only useful for making holes in an image, rather than altering its position.

When you have position selected, and you zoom out with the big fuckin' "F" thing, you should be able to move it around the screen and have the whole image move around, I just opened vegas and tried replicating your problem, but it worked fine for me.
I've been trying that, but I'm still having problems - no amount of clicking and dragging can move it.

Here's one shot in the clip:

I want to move the silhouette in its entirety so that it is in the bottom-right of the screen instead of the dead centre as it is currently.

However, no amount of shifting in the Pan/Crop window seems to move it in the video itself - two attempts are shown below:

Image Image
Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Again, thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm makin' something up for ya. I'll Pm you a link to it, just watch it and reply when it gets to ya :o

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:30 pm

Event pan/crop alone should do it... I don't see why it's not working for you.
I'm not sure if Platinum has track motion like the Pro version, but if necessary that could be used as an alternative. :up:

kapparomeo
Org Profile

Post by kapparomeo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Much obliged for your PM, NS, it helped a lot to clarify things. Between that and Track Motion, I was able to achieve everything that I wanted to.

Thanks again for your help, everyone, it's greatly appreciated. :)

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”