If I Only

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
James Sharp
Org Profile

If I Only

Post by James Sharp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 am

This is my first video in a very long time. I was new to editing before, But now im infant. so hopefully some people enjoy the video. My biggest goal is just to make you feel something from it. Whether its skillful editing or not is only second priority to me. My main goal is to convey a story and emotion. Thanks for watching it.
Close calls are always the most exciting. Coming close is always the most dissapointing.

My newest vid:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... =3&t=98816
I welcome any and all advice on how i can improve

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: If I Only

Post by EvaFan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 am

This was actually pretty enjoyable aside from the minor errors here and there, though I wish you had brought the reasons for all this depression in sooner instead of putting it at the end. It would have made more sense. If you want to make scenes look like they are past tense try some more simple FX. Grayscale helps alot here, actually any dark, bland, or faded colors help for this and if you want to enforce that more try some screen edge feathering or other ideas. I noticed that you used white edge feathering for the parts with past but it didn't come across very well IMO.

Most noticeable problem. If there is a scene you want to use where only the lips are moving but you dont want lip flap just export the frame and use it as a picture. I'd advise zooming it slightly and havin it pan across the screen a bit so your atleast keeping some motion in there. Though you could always just lip sync (like you did at 0:55-0:56 even if it was accidental it worked) since the mouth is the only thing moving again, if the scene has no motion a very slight pan can really help out even for downtempo. There's no reason to mask the lip movements (unless you like extra work I guess) if there is nothing else in the scene moving just fyi.
James Sharp wrote:My biggest goal is just to make you feel something from it.
:up:

Not bad, you got basic sync and flow down pretty well. You work well with story and emotions for the most part. Next time though buy the DVDs if available :P ! KGNE (Rumbling Hearts) deserves a buy!

3/5

Edit:
Spoiler :
I'm starting to think that the anime would of been even more epic if it had a story like the one you just portrayed. Even the suicide at the end was brilliant (wonder how many people will figure out why she snapped up out of bed and notice the blood on the counter next to him). Seriously nice work with storytelling, I'm gonna take back my point about the putting the reasons for the depression sooner cause after several views it makes the suicide and overall climactic feel there work better.
Last edited by EvaFan on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:49 am

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/12879/origina ... 1251504405
i'll get this in a few but in the meantime

If i only
Never gave you up
never gonna let you down
never gonna turn around and desert you...:3

[Kariudo: bad soup...200kb or less for img tags, and don't hotlink to someone else's server. Download a copy, then upload to imageshack or somewhere.]

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 am

my only complaint would be the bad video quality. Very good editing and capture of the emtions!

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:17 am

That was really good. In terms of what you wanted to convey, you did well. The only thing that bothered me was the bad video quality and those black borders. When you overlayed the gradient, it overlayed those borders, and was really distracting (for me. I'm just kinda picky) Good job though
Image Image

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:48 pm

yah, I liked it. Simple emotional vid, and you portrayed it well enough. I felt the bits with the blue haired chick were a BIT random because I'm not EXACTLY sure what they mean, but I'm pretty sure.. you know, like it wasn't completely clear..but I think I got it fo sho.

Elcalavero
Org Profile

Post by Elcalavero » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:03 pm

The poster looked promising, but watching the preview left me in disappointment.
I'm usually in favor of the use of fades but damn. Theres a line people should not cross. You crossed it.
I am disappoint. :down:

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Trust me elcalvero, the "I am disappoint" joke is still funny after being used twice in your post, I'm sure you can still cram it in a couple more times and it still be a knee slapping riot.

James Sharp
Org Profile

Post by James Sharp » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:07 pm

EvaFan wrote: If you want to make scenes look like they are past tense try some more simple FX. Grayscale helps alot here, actually any dark, bland, or faded colors help for this and if you want to enforce that more try some screen edge feathering or other ideas. I noticed that you used white edge feathering for the parts with past but it didn't come across very well IMO.
Thank you very much for your great response. But most of all thank you for the quoted help. When i was trying to figure out how to express past tense kinda got stuck with the white gradient thing because it was all i really knew. Im going to use the greyscale idea when i work on my next video.

That is one issue i keep running into is that my experience level really limits the basic transition/sync and quality type aspects of my videos. So the more advice i get the better. thank you very much.

Lol also i feel bad that i never even noticed that masking error... i was pretty tired but MAN did i overlook that one. Im embarrased :oops:
elcalavero wrote:The poster looked promising, but watching the preview left me in disappointment.
I'm usually in favor of the use of fades but damn. Theres a line people should not cross. You crossed it.
I am disappoint. :down:
I actually made and uploaded this video expecting to be dwarfed by the incredible skill level that the editors of this community posses. as such while i am very proud of what i did with this video. I still know its something that 90% of the editors here can make with half the time and effort.

I will most definitely do my best to learn different ways of changing scenes. as i can understand that the same old way can get repetitive. Thank you for your advice.
Close calls are always the most exciting. Coming close is always the most dissapointing.

My newest vid:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... =3&t=98816
I welcome any and all advice on how i can improve

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:17 pm

It's not bad. I think you worked quite well.

But it couldn't hold me until the end. I stopped watching it after 2:50, because I simply had the feeling that I won't see anything new that would interrest me. There are two main reasons why I lost my interrest:

1. The song
That's not your fault. I just think it's boring and dragging on. I'm just not into such (mellow?) stuff.

2. The editing (fade out)
I think the scene selections were alright, but I had a problem with all those fade outs. Yes they can be some sort of style, but it just got old too soon and it killed my interest in the video. I had the most fun in the video when you actually stopped to use those fade outs in one part. I still can't think od ANY scenes were you simply used a hard cut instead of a crossfade or a fade out and well that's kinda sad and annoying. It ofted seamed like that you just threw in those fade outs without knowing something better to do or just because another scene was comeing up. You actually could have used it as a more dedicated style and only use it in the verses or something.

Beside the fade outs I didn't had a problem with your editing.

I also give you 3/5 for doing a good beginner's job.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”