Which computer should i get.

post-it
Org Profile

Re: Which computer should i get.

Post by post-it » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:51 pm

Fire_Starter wrote: Avid Nitris DX system.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :P

X2

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 pm

That's on the list for my personal version of "If I Had A Million Dollars"
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:32 am

First let me say that Apple Macs are garbage. Overpriced and although more reliable than PCs, are not worth the cost.
I call them usefull and stable, but you can compensate a lot of it pros due to money. PCs are just cheaper and the real pros of a Mac and it's software come out in the Pro video league.
I wouldn't bother switching to Final Cut Pro, as the program itself, is not much better than Sony Vegas. They both accomplish
the same thing but I think Sony Vegas is a much better program.(Personal opinion of course.)
Not true. FCP can use After Effects plug ins for example and it has a lot of good features. Altough I wouldn't call it as good as Premiere Pro :P

Unless you like Apple or the MacOSX: Get a PC.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I would also like to hear what your budget is.

My advice is get a PC. Apple machines are pretty, but they're overpriced. Unless you're making a feature film and you want to output 10bit log, you don't need FCP.

Build your PC yourself. (This sounds scary to somebody who has never done it, but if you do a little research, you'll find it's totally worth it and rather fun) You can probably save some money if you use older tech, but you want as many cores as you can get for the budget you have. I would highly suggest you check out the new Intel i5, they are budget priced new tech, and are lightyears better than the older tech for about the same price or a little more. (they also run a lot cooler/consume less power than the older tech) You'll get the most speed/power for your money, and there is no "stability" difference. Get Windows 7 64 bit or Windows XP 64 bit, stay away from Vista. Hard drives are big and cheap, get one for your operating system and your programs, get another (or 2 or 3) for your projects, scratch disk, etc.

I've been working off the same machine for 6 years. I built it in 2003.

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:39 pm

What ZS said, except just get Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. XP64 driver support is....lacking......
Tinnitus

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:53 pm

One word: MAC.
If you want to see the true resolution of your video, either connect your feeble PC to a $1000 monitor, or just get a kick-ass MAC.

Trust me, I have a MAC, and the resolution shows no pixellation or distortion whatsoever (even when it's playing full-screen!). Granted, your source of anime may be low-def, but that just means you need to get better-def episodes (and that is one thing that the viewers like).
Even though you can just keep customizing your pathetic PC (which may take weeks, months, more piggy bank sifting sessions, or days you could be spending making AMVs already), the MAC is sexy and ready to go.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 pm

The_TEKnician wrote:One word: MAC.
If you want to see the true resolution of your video, either connect your feeble PC to a $1000 monitor, or just get a kick-ass MAC.

Trust me, I have a MAC, and the resolution shows no pixellation or distortion whatsoever (even when it's playing full-screen!). Granted, your source of anime may be low-def, but that just means you need to get better-def episodes (and that is one thing that the viewers like).
Even though you can just keep customizing your pathetic PC (which may take weeks, months, more piggy bank sifting sessions, or days you could be spending making AMVs already), the MAC is sexy and ready to go.
Uh... it's just about knowing which scaler to use over playback... I have a 1920x1200 24" monitor that costed me 290 euros as my main PC screen, and I can watch SD videos just fine even at full screen... of course, higher detail is always welcome, but not all the sources are HD, and upscaling a source just to release a video in a fake 720p or 1080p definition for no reason whatsoever doesn't make much sense.
Also, protip: I bought a prebuilt 2 years ago, never had to customize it and was very much ready to go, and it has been sexy ever since.

As far as actual editing on a MAC is concerned, you'll need to use windows applications within wine or crossover if you wanna make the quality as good as you can. :roll:

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:56 am

The_TEKnician wrote:One word: MAC.

Uhh...you have no idea what you're saying, do you?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "true resolution", but I can tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with using a mac vs using a pc.
Golden rule of video quality: Your output quality will always be limited [primarily] by your input quality

Without knowing how much the OP wants to spend, I'm assuming this is going to be a low to mid budget buy/build...and you never hear the words "Mac" and "budget" in the same sentence.

side note: I've never seen anyone bring up customization as a con before

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:40 pm

The_TEKnician ACTUALLY wrote:the MAC is sexy, beautiful, wonderful, amazing, incredible, fantastic, magical, special, unique, mystical, life-altering, paradigm-changing, ball-tightening...
Someone set their Reality Distortion Field a bit too high when they posted this? Come back when you have actual, technically valid reasons to give us. "The resolution shows no pixellation or distortion" doesn't even make sense from a technical standpoint. Also, using words such as "pathetic" in describing a PC simply shows a bias, and not an actual, reasonable argument.

I give this troll 1.5/5 for a poorly executed effort. Sorry, but Lord Jobs will not be sending you that free iPad you were hoping to get.
Tinnitus

TEKnician
Org Profile

Post by TEKnician » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey, I'm sorry, but I DO think MAC is better than PC. :(

Don't get me wrong, MACs and PCs have their unique traits, but MACs are just very user-friendly. I use Final Cut Pro on my MAC, and I'm happy. I'm not saying I'm rich or anything, but if you actually have a decision between the two (regardless of money constraints), a MAC won't let you down. That is my opinion anyway.

In the end, I apologize if I offended/confused anyone with my comment. :cry: But remember, the decision is still yours.

P.S. "Pixellation" and "Distortion" is an actual term used in describing video quality. I've spent 4 years in my school's media program, and I've heard those words all the time. If you don't like/understand them, use different ones!

P.S.S. Just because I express my opinion in favor of MAC doesn't mean I'm just kissing asses just for a reward, that is how I feel. BTW, even though I like MACs, I still think the iPad is just a bigger iTouch. I honestly wouldn't get it even if I had the money.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”