Kawaii Kon 2010 [ Honolulu, Hawaii] - VAST Video Art Contest

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
jubjub2
Org Profile

Re: Kawaii Kon 2010 [ Honolulu, Hawaii] - VAST Video Art Contest

Post by jubjub2 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:37 pm

808-buma wrote:darn, just lost a judge...

but then on a good note, gained an entrant! :) and although the deadline is midnight February 28th, it's really the next morning as I won't be checking it at midnight... and I can wake up rather late, too :)

oh, and yes, for the other thing, as much time as you need, as long as I get it a week before the actual convention, you're good
:up: :up:

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Hello all
at the tone, this is your 25 day notice that the VAST Video Art Contest Deadline of February 28th, 2010 is fast approaching...

ding

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:20 pm

ouch!! ooh! I made a booboo, my video stay 23fps :( now making a straight conversion to 29fps won't be too bad on a 5 minute video, but... is that the only alternative other than to redo it all? I mean if I sent in what I get, would you folks just convert it over to 720x480 29fps (keeping the aspect ratio correct or not?)? And do 23fps videos usually turn out ok? or are you actually able to show 23fps video? I'll convert it if you can't show it is all I'm saying but it maybe sound like you can? 1024x576 is ok? or should I letterbox it (if can)?
If you do not think so... you will DIE

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Knowname - You can send in your video as you have described and we'll convert and letter-box it for you. The contest is currently designed to run from a DVD player, so there is not 'true' way to display 24fps video other than to do it via the 3:2 pulldown option.

Although we do strive to do the best quality conversion for the contest, the best way to control how your video is displayed is to do the MPEG2 conversion yourself. Either way, we are happy to get your entry.

And to everyone else, this is your 2 week, 2 day until the deadline announcement... I'm still waiting for a lot of your entries!

ding!

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 pm

I don't even know what 3:2 is, I guess it counts every 2 frames as 3? Anyway I'm not one to fuss I'll just put the black on and send it to ya then lol. Hopefully I can make a second piece in time for you.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:42 am

Knowname wrote:I don't even know what 3:2 is, I guess it counts every 2 frames as 3? Anyway I'm not one to fuss I'll just put the black on and send it to ya then lol. Hopefully I can make a second piece in time for you.
"3:2 pulldown" (or more correctly 2:3 pulldown) aka. telecine is converting 24fps footage (usually film) to 30 fps video (or 23.976 to 29.97). Pretty much the reverse process of getting 29.97fps DVD sources to 23.976fps to edit with. To put it simply, telecine is converting every 4 original frames to 5 by duplicating and mixing fields, then repeating. 4 x 6 = 24, and 5 x 6 = 30.

And I may as well update my situation. New parts arrived and my computer is up and running. As I suspected, the PCI-E slot on my old computer died, so sticking in a PCI video card got it working again (although video playback is definitely poorer). Transferring my data from my old PC to the new one was relatively painless. I also took the time to upgrade to Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 (not really worth it for the new features, but it is Windows 7 compatible and I got it for $30 during Best Buy's sale). I'm back working on my video, although RightStuf still hasn't sent the final DVDs of the series I'm using. There is a good chance that I won't need the footage on those discs anyways, so it shouldn't be a show-stopper.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:30 pm

Good Luck Willen (isn't that a movie??)

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:26 pm

woowoo - thanks for the explination, Willen... hope that clears that up for you Knowname

and good to hear that you're back on track, too - as there is little less than 2 weeks to go until the deadline (queue dramatic music here)

dun, dun, DUN!

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:05 pm

6 days and counting until the Feb 28th, 2010 deadline
tick tick tock

oh, and to share something I just re-found - one of the only 2 pictures of the awards from last year (I really should have taken a lot more of them... oh well, this year). This is what last year's award looked like - a laser-engraved wood plaque.

Name was blurred as I was showing the award to the other directors of the convention prior to the announcement of the winners (it was Moonie's "Feeling Fine" video that should be shown there) and I never actually saved the un-blurred version. This was just lingering in one of my files so I figured I'd share :)

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:28 pm

You will be mine oh yes you will be mine ^_^ maybe.

Return to “AMV Contests”