Windows 7 + FFDshow WARNING!

Songbird21
Org Profile

Windows 7 + FFDshow WARNING!

Post by Songbird21 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:07 am

I recently switched to Windows 7 (Yeah, I know, where was my brain) and for some unknown reason windows explorer kept crashing every time I clicked on a huffy file. After a day of being pissed off I decided on a whim to uninstall FFDshow (I remembered it had given me trouble a few years back with not allowing things to display properly) and everything is fine now. Summary: If you run on Windows 7 DO NOT install FFDshow.

Hope this saved someone a few headaches. ^_^\/
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related) and more!

"Bloodline of Atlantis: The Triple Psi" - My fantasy novel (Only $1.99 It's an Ebook).

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Windows 7 + FFDshow WARNING!

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 am

That particular problem has never been isolated, AFAIK. Some people don't have any issue with it, others do. I never have (or if I did, I fixed it by turning off thumbnail caching and blacklisting explorer.exe, which I would always recommend people do anyway). Always make sure you're using a recent build of ffdshow from the ffdshow-tryouts Sourceforge page.

The only permanent problem I've seen noted with ffdshow and Win7 is that Windows Media Player will not allow to you use it since Media Foundation restricts it. Using it in Media Player Classic or other DirectShow-based players is still fine, though.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Video & Audio Help”