Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

JCAs 2010 - Third time's the charm

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:45 am

The results are up here.

*shameless ripoff of the godix's post from the last year*

So most of you probably remember JCAs contest from last year. This year some people tried, but were not able to do it (or simply trolled us) - I won't name them. I rather disliked the idea of it disappearing so without godix's permission I'm going to do it. Since this is me we're talking about I should point out this isn't a joke and I'll be treating it as seriously as Koop and godix did.

As many of you know, currently the Viewer's Choice Awards are by now over. The Judge's Choice Awards is a contest designed to complement the VCAs in order to provide a different viewpoint on the videos released within the past year. It is a separate contest and is in no way affiliated with the VCAs. To be perfectly clear, this is not an org hosted event but rather an event which Koop and godix ran last years and I'm reviving this year.

The basis of JCAs is to have judges select the winners rather than the general public. The public's participation is this year kinda unnecessary, since we are in a hurry and don't want to delay it even further. I believe last years contest was successful and hopefully this years will be as well.

The rules:

- There are five judges whom I asked to judge in this event, and I hope that I can say that they are well-known and recognised editors from this community.
- The pool of videos to be judged will be the VCAs semi-finalists. Since not all videos were qualified for the VCAs judges will have the option of adding one video of their choice to any category. Each judge will view these videos and nominate three to four videos/people per category. Each judge has an option to add one video that is not from the pool.
- Once we have a reduced pool, every judge will be asked to go through the selected titles and rate them from 1 (worst) to n (n being the number of vids in given category). I will then add together the ratings and hopefully there will be a video/person with the highest number which will be announced as a winner of given category.
- Judges will not be allowed to vote in the categories they're nominated in - they will be allowed to nominate, though, but not themselves.
- In the event of a tie I will act as a tie breaker, otherwise I will not be involved in the judging.
- Judges will be asked to make a few brief comments on the videos in the finals. Some of those comments may be used publicly (e.g., in the results thread) but will not be attributed. To address something that came up before, I will not attribute any comments and will not release how individual judges voted. If the judges themselves choose to do that then they're certainly free to.
- The judges will remain anonymous during the voting process, it will be announced who they were once the results are posted (if they get me their approval for me to do so, that is).
- There are no prizes other than bragging rights.
- The rules are subject to change anytime :<

Timeline:

Judges gathering - Judges will be asked whether they want to judge this event.

Judges' qualification - Judges will be asked to watch all choices and get their choice to me ASAP - 5/5 delivered

Judges' rating - Judges will be asked to watch all selected videos and get their ratings to me ASAP. - 5/5 delivered

Winners announcement - I will announce the results once the voting is over.

The results are up here.

If you have any questions or concerns about the JCAs in general please post in this thread.
Last edited by Nya-chan Production on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 15 times in total.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Re: JCAs 2010 - Third time's the charm

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:48 am

Just to tell you how's the progress - four judges accepted by now (three of them were not against me posting this thread, sorry to the fourth one - majority called), one declined and I am still waiting for one response.

Any further progress in other posts and/or in the first post.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 am

tl;dr heck it's the first time that the same thread comes up this year

Anyway: :up:
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 am

(waits for people to actually see this thread and the drama lama to kick in) :up:
ImageImageImageImage

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:18 am

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 am

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 am

Well, in my opinion to have the JCAs now is a moot point.

When they were done in the past the results came out at the same time as the VCAs. Now that the results are known this will infuence the judges in some resepect and what will this all accomplish? I personally think it will just start up the "drama" once again as not everyone is going to agree with the results.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: When they were done in the past the results came out at the same time as the VCAs. Now that the results are known this will infuence the judges in some resepect and what will this all accomplish? I personally think it will just start up the "drama" once again as not everyone is going to agree with the results.
Oh come on! Let the butthurt forum people their precious lollipop.

Nah... I still like the JCAs and I want to see what comes out. I'm still interested into them.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Well, in my opinion to have the JCAs now is a moot point.

When they were done in the past the results came out at the same time as the VCAs. Now that the results are known this will infuence the judges in some resepect and what will this all accomplish? I personally think it will just start up the "drama" once again as not everyone is going to agree with the results.

Vlad
That IS probable (pretty much, in fact), but I still think that shouldn't keep us from running them.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:07 am

All the judges have been confirmed and we move onto the qualifications ;x

Return to “AMV Contests”