Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Necrofood
Org Profile

Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

Post by Necrofood » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi
I just recently acquired Sony Vegas 9.0. Now I've tried importing anime clips into it, and they transfer perfectly, but whenever they're placed on the timeline, everything slows down, and I only get to see one in every twenty frames or so. Is this a problem with my computer, or the program? Initially this was an issue in the trimmer as well, but after I set the properties to HDV 720-30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps), the trimmer is now functioning perfectly. So is there something similar I can do for the timeline?
Much appreciated.

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Re: Vegas 9.0- all clips slow and juddery

Post by xPiikanyaa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Do you mean when the preview lags and you can't watch the clip properly?

aerotem
show 'em my judo throw
Org Profile

Post by aerotem » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm

Necrofood wrote:Hi
I just recently acquired Sony Vegas 9.0. Now I've tried importing anime clips into it, and they transfer perfectly, but whenever they're placed on the timeline, everything slows down, and I only get to see one in every twenty frames or so. Is this a problem with my computer, or the program? Initially this was an issue in the trimmer as well, but after I set the properties to HDV 720-30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps), the trimmer is now functioning perfectly. So is there something similar I can do for the timeline?
Much appreciated.
from what it sounds like, you're talking about the preview.
if it is so, then don't worry, vegas lags up alot (probably lags especially the worst, mostly for me) whenever you try to watch a preview when using clips that have a 29.970 fps (which is why the timeline lags too), but idk, there could be another reason for why it's doing it, shitty processor and ram, the video itself, etc.

kapparomeo
Org Profile

Post by kapparomeo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Yes, it can be a little inconvenient if you need to check delicate timings, but don't worry too much about lag in the preview box - it doesn't impinge on the final product. That lag won't be transferred to your final video.

Preview lag also tends to be affected by the complexity of what you're doing - multiple overlaid video tracks, numerous audio/visual effects, etc. etc. I find that letting the clip play multiple times tends to allow the preview to 'catch up' after a while and play normally as the keyframes are cached.

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:21 pm

The preview lags on my computer 'cause it doesn't have much RAM, and I like a lot of effect whoring :3
I find it helps if you set the preview to a lower quality - if it's set to best quality, it's more likely to lag. ^^

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Select a part you wish to check the sync on
Press Shift+B
Wait a moment while it loads into RAM
Press Space
Rinse and repeat for other parts

;x

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:24 am

I'm confused. Why would you be willing to put up with a preview that lags? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Never used Vegas, but I wouldn't stand for that in any non-linear editor I was going to use.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:45 am

Kionon wrote:I'm confused. Why would you be willing to put up with a preview that lags? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Never used Vegas, but I wouldn't stand for that in any non-linear editor I was going to use.
Show me any video editer that won't lag while editing 720p or 1080p on low budget PC |:

It's not about editor, it's about size of preview, hardware and size of project.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:19 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Kionon wrote:I'm confused. Why would you be willing to put up with a preview that lags? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Show me any video editer that won't lag while editing 720p or 1080p on low budget PC |:

It's not about editor, it's about size of preview, hardware and size of project.
720p might be doable perhaps, but honestly a low budget PC will have hard times even just playing a 1080p file... at least without CoreAVC.
But still, it also is about the editor itself. The way the memory is dealt with has much to do with this. Also 32bit vs 62bit OS and program will have a huge say. For example *adobe fan mode on* Premiere Pro CS5 is based on something named "Mercury Playback Engine" and apparently this works very well:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software ... re-pro-cs5
For example, on our test rig, a workstation featuring a quad-core 2.2GHz AMD Phenom 9550 CPU and 6GB of DDR2 memory, Premiere Pro CS5 managed to play five layers of 720p DVC Pro HD fluidly, although it began to skip frames above this. It also had trouble when applying multiple effects to footage shot on the RED camera at a resolution of 2,816 x 2,304. Nevertheless, the system was using close to 100% of overall processor time during playback, across all four cores, showing that Adobe is making full use of multiple threads.
That's about mid-range for current PCs. Right now that rig should probably cost about 800USD tops, although I haven't quite looked around for exact prices (but I'm probably exaggerating). *adobe fan mode off*
Still, I haven't used Vegas, so I can't have a say on how it manages layers and stuff. It's probably about on par with premiere cs5 since vegas has had 64bit versions for a few years. If we're talking 32bit OSes then, smooth editing of 1080p is very hard after a couple clips since the ram limit is low, like 2 GBs per program, isn't it?

a1ic3
Org Profile

Post by a1ic3 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:26 am

I would advise him to write a much elaborate blog detailing his problems. Now it is not clear whether he is having problems with the clip or with the preview. If the problem is with the preview then I think the problem is related to his system. Most probably the processor is the culprit. The processing speed is very less and that is why he is having this issue. I would advise him to discard his old system and buy a new one.
Power

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”