What Formats can Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 read?

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
Mastamind
Org Profile

Re: What Formats can Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 read?

Post by Mastamind » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:22 am

You really shouldn't use those filetypes for editing... for the reasons Kariudo stated even if Vegas accepts .mpg or mp4 it's likely to give you errors along the way. Lagarith avi is probably your best choice. And if they take up too much space, you can always cut them to use only parts you need for your video.

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:13 am

Mastamind wrote:You really shouldn't use those filetypes for editing... for the reasons Kariudo stated even if Vegas accepts .mpg or mp4 it's likely to give you errors along the way. Lagarith avi is probably your best choice. And if they take up too much space, you can always cut them to use only parts you need for your video.
Ok. I'll try that out & see what happens.

I guess that's the problem of getting MP4 torrents. :(

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:23 am

OK, sorry for the double post. I just want to update a little something that I noticed while using the AVI converted file in VirtualDub, the file was actually still in VBR. Still finding a way via Google to rectify the problem. But if anyone knows of a solution please reply to this message.

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:40 am

Strangely another AVI file that I found to have Constant Bit Rate (CBR) appears to have the same problems. Figured that one of the players or a codec might be the cause of this, so I'm gonna try some time tomorrow to try to resolve the problem.

Do anyone with the same problem have Quicktime/iTunes installed in the computer? I think that that software might be the problem since it is always reading MP3 files & formats.

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:30 am

In the progress of recovering some files... My external hard drive crashed on me while I was doing some conversion, so been away for a while.

On the side note have there been any reported conflicts between AMV App & CCCP? Both have some similar codecs, & when installing CCCP the software informs me of some conflicting mpeg4 decoder (with no AMV App installed of course).

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:40 am

Kariudo wrote:.mp3 should work just fine in editing programs (because each audio sample has all the information needed to make the sound it's supposed to make.) That said, it's probably still a good idea to work with lossless audio through as much of the editing process as you can...quality stuff and whatnot.
Thumbs up on that post, I remember an "argument" some time ago where someone would say editing with .mp3 instead of .wav is equivalent to using .xvid instead of lagarith, where I said it's nothing like that and editing with .mp3 gives absolutely no problems (other than lower quality) but couldn't justify it.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:38 am

Emotive wrote:
Kariudo wrote:.mp3 should work just fine in editing programs (because each audio sample has all the information needed to make the sound it's supposed to make.) That said, it's probably still a good idea to work with lossless audio through as much of the editing process as you can...quality stuff and whatnot.
Thumbs up on that post, I remember an "argument" some time ago where someone would say editing with .mp3 instead of .wav is equivalent to using .xvid instead of lagarith, where I said it's nothing like that and editing with .mp3 gives absolutely no problems (other than lower quality) but couldn't justify it.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if I said that some time ago.
Looked more into mp3 compression this time

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am

Kariudo wrote:
Emotive wrote:
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if I said that some time ago.
Looked more into mp3 compression this time
Couldn't say more than agreeing.

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:20 pm

Oops, sorry for lifting this thread up from its "slumber". Wanted to reply a long time ago, but totally forgot about it.

Anyways I still got a couple of MP4 files in tow. I know I should look for DVD sources, but I couldn't afford buying tons of anime episodes (OK, maybe Bleach can do since there's a shop selling cheap somewhere...).

I'm not about to rant about the above paragraph now, but I just want to ask: how good is lagarith compared to huffyuv codecs? & for both, what's a good file extension (e.g. AVI) I can convert the MP4 files into?

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:28 am

Amazon i holding a 50% sale on anime, And Lagarith is about the half the size of huffy, Huffy being half the size of uncompressed.And you might wanna convert em mp4's to lagarith/huffy :up:

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”