Stuck on step one!

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
TidusChizild07
Org Profile

Stuck on step one!

Post by TidusChizild07 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi, I am trying to figure out installing Wine on my mac. Crossover is no longer free (I also used my trial already) and I am having trouble trying to pinpoint where to find the proper wine (I am not tech savy at all). The link in the sticky is to someone's twitter page >_>

I tried this a couple months ago but when I got to the steps that required the AMVapp, things came to a screeching halt so here I am again, giving it one more go. If there is any more information you need let me know!

~Thanks

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Stuck on step one!

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Which version of OS X are you using, first of all? 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard), or 10.6 (Snow Leopard)?

From there, you have to find a Wine build compatible with said version. Note for the weary: I couldn't seem to get it working right under Tiger, but Leopard and Snow Leopard are apparently different enough that such results are best taken with a grain of salt.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

TidusChizild07
Org Profile

Post by TidusChizild07 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Mac OS X version 10.5.8.

Where do i go to fid the Wine build? When I google search wine binary like http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX I have no clue what is being said. Then there is this page: http://www.winehq.org/download/ that doesn't list any of the Mac OS's. I'm just lost >_<

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:50 pm

You could try:
http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/

Although the site seems to be down right now; according to Google's cache it was there on December 26th; however, the link to the download of 1.1.35 works. You can find it here:
http://mirrors.nolabelstudios.com/mikes ... ess/files/

I've not tried that build, but I from what I'm seeing about it, it could work where others have failed. And it supposedly supports Tiger up thru Snow Leopard in their stock configuration with stock X11 (which basically means all should be good).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

TidusChizild07
Org Profile

Post by TidusChizild07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:43 am

Thank you! I will give it a go when I return home from work. :D

TidusChizild07
Org Profile

Post by TidusChizild07 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:45 pm

Omg...why do I even bother with this s***? Always one problem after the next. :cry:

Ok, I downloaded the wine from the first link you gave me. I have no idea what I am doing so I am just trying to wing it. (I feel like such an idiot)

I tried installing AMVapp throgh the proram called WineBottler Install and I am getting this:
"Prefix creation exited with error

You find a logfile to help with debugging on your desktop."

Anything you think you can help with?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 pm

TidusChizild07 wrote:I tried installing AMVapp throgh the proram called WineBottler Install and I am getting this:

With AMVapp, was that the .zip file? OS X can unpack them without any assistance, as far as I knew. Or did you mean you unpacked it first, and then tried running the programs it contains?
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... mvapp.html

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:29 am

I use crossover, since I got mine when gas went down at the end of Bush's term, and haven't really worked with wine, even though it should work just fine (and has for other people). I will look into it and see what I can get running. Of course, I use Snow Leopard, so...
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

TidusChizild07
Org Profile

Post by TidusChizild07 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:14 am

Qyot27 wrote:
TidusChizild07 wrote:I tried installing AMVapp throgh the proram called WineBottler Install and I am getting this:

With AMVapp, was that the .zip file? OS X can unpack them without any assistance, as far as I knew. Or did you mean you unpacked it first, and then tried running the programs it contains?
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... mvapp.html
I downloaded it and opened the AMVapp folder. First I tried just opening AMVapp.exe through the wine and I was getting the message from my previous post. Then I tried opening the AMVapp folder itself and "opening" them from within the Wine. No dice. I couldn't drag them in. I'm just not sure.

a1ic3
Org Profile

Post by a1ic3 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:46 am

I think the present problem is related to Mac. I have had a similar issue some time ago with regard to Wine. I searched on the internet and was able to fix it. The first step that he should do is to install macports and then configure them. After that he should install wine using macports. Once wine in installed then he can start working on it. I think installation should be done in this way. I am sure that it will solve the problem.
Power

Return to “Mac Software”