2010 VCAs - General Discussion

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Re: 2010 VCAs - General Discussion

Post by Emotive » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

mirkosp wrote:
dwchang wrote:I'm pretty sure someone has already commented on the correlation between the 5 videos with the highest votes during the semi-finals being the most likely to get into the finals so the semi-finals doesn't actually change anything.
Actually I seem to recall quite the opposite. I think jasper said somewhere that last year's Action winner barely made semis at all, which means that semis gave it exposure and if we just directly had finals another video would have won. This also means that a 20 or so mediocrity votes made sure that a worthy video actually got through...
I don't agree with that being the best action video of the past year anyway, just saying.

Inb4 the usual VCAs not-everyone's-happy drama. :sweat:

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:34 pm

mirkosp wrote:
dwchang wrote:I'm pretty sure someone has already commented on the correlation between the 5 videos with the highest votes during the semi-finals being the most likely to get into the finals so the semi-finals doesn't actually change anything.
Actually I seem to recall quite the opposite. I think jasper said somewhere that last year's Action winner barely made semis at all, which means that semis gave it exposure and if we just directly had finals another video would have won. This also means that a 20 or so mediocrity votes made sure that a worthy video actually got through...
You're commenting on ONE instance though. I'm sure if you look at all 5 finalists throughout ALL of the years (i.e. 200+ data points) you'll see some correlation between voting in the first round and voting in the second. Given, perhaps it's unfortunate that a handful of times a worthy video is lost, but I'm willing to bet there is a larger correlation between the semi-finalists and finalists when compared to a handful of instances you are referring to. The good news is the 'best' videos with the highest votes in the first go-around got through again, but frankly it makes the entire thing tedious.

Back when I did watch AMVs, I tried to make informed votes in the VCAs by watching EVERY entry in the semi-finalists (fairly certain most people don't do this), but 20+ entries in 10+ categories was just too much and frankly most weren't that good. I'm only speaking for myself, but it seemed pretty easy to figure out what should have been in the finals and the semi-finals just seemed redundant.

Also as noted, I remember way back when when there were no semi-finals and I have a feeling even if we had semi-finals then, we'd have gotten the same finalists and same winners. I concede the whole "more exposure" argument, but I still contend the semi-finals reward mediocrity with some of the entries and makes the whole thing more tedious for both the viewers and the administrators.

...and yes I realize myself (and others) have argued this in previous years, but I obviously still believe it :P.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 pm

dwchang wrote:
mirkosp wrote:
You're commenting on ONE instance though. I'm sure if you look at all 5 finalists throughout ALL of the years (i.e. 200+ data points) you'll see some correlation between voting in the first round and voting in the second. Given, perhaps it's unfortunate that a handful of times a worthy video is lost, but I'm willing to bet there is a larger correlation between the semi-finalists and finalists when compared to a handful of instances you are referring to. The good news is the 'best' videos with the highest votes in the first go-around got through again, but frankly it makes the entire thing tedious.

Back when I did watch AMVs, I tried to make informed votes in the VCAs by watching EVERY entry in the semi-finalists (fairly certain most people don't do this), but 20+ entries in 10+ categories was just too much and frankly most weren't that good. I'm only speaking for myself, but it seemed pretty easy to figure out what should have been in the finals and the semi-finals just seemed redundant.

Also as noted, I remember way back when when there were no semi-finals and I have a feeling even if we had semi-finals then, we'd have gotten the same finalists and same winners. I concede the whole "more exposure" argument, but I still contend the semi-finals reward mediocrity with some of the entries and makes the whole thing more tedious for both the viewers and the administrators.

...and yes I realize myself (and others) have argued this in previous years, but I obviously still believe it :P.
I wonder if the streaming preview option will change the dynamic at all this year....as you said, 20+ for each category was a lot to download and watch, but now with the preview...

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:02 am

Actually, I wonder why there will be semi-finals this year. The semi-finals started when the number of vids released in a year skyrocketed. Now that it died down to pre-2005 levels, is it still needed?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 am

godix wrote:Actually, I wonder why there will be semi-finals this year. The semi-finals started when the number of vids released in a year skyrocketed. Now that it died down to pre-2005 levels, is it still needed?
Well, this year the contest is opt-out so maybe there will be more entries than last year.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:42 am

mirkosp wrote:
godix wrote:Actually, I wonder why there will be semi-finals this year. The semi-finals started when the number of vids released in a year skyrocketed. Now that it died down to pre-2005 levels, is it still needed?
Well, this year the contest is opt-out so maybe there will be more entries than last year.
I've been wondering about that actually... given what's been said about years past, it's unclear if a vid getting 20 or so votes gets it into the semis, or just that that's been a previous metric based on how people voted when it was opt-in. If it's the former, i'm sure we could wrangle over 20 brave souls to nominate every video for everything and make the semis just a repeat of rd 1 again.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Kyssifur
Org Profile

Post by Kyssifur » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:37 am

Qwaqa's butt is shiny enough man... There are other amazing editors and videos too!!
we are awesome

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:36 pm

can whoever does the VCAs next year append this to the guidelines 'it would be much appreciated if fools who dun't know would READ the thread first and not have ONE video nominated in EVERY OTHER POST!!! It's friggen ANNOYING!! Srsly.'

Thanx :) Yeah, the word 'dun't' will be added to the english language during 2010.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:08 am

Watch qwaqa opt-out and butthurt 3/4s of the forums :awesome:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:Watch qwaqa opt-out and butthurt 3/4s of the forums :awesome:
He listed his old vid and merged the two accounts to be able to take part and not get auto-dq'd, so I don't really see him opting out at this point... as long as he remembers to check the rules of vca in their page, that is. :shock:

Return to “2010 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”