2010 VCAs - General Discussion

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: 2010 VCAs - General Discussion

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Cap'n Toddenfreude wrote: Howabout istead of bringing up the suggestion threads... you just make the past years VCA winners and Runner Ups list easily available.

Like you could just have one thread that lists and links them all.

That way instead of detracting from the suggestion forum, it just makes it easier to Access the lists, (and it would be attached to the forum instead of the site) (digging through the main page links is kind of a hassle.)
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/amvvca/

On the right side you have all the previous VCAs. Click on the one you prefer and scroll down. All the nominees (that is, all vids that reached at least semi-finals) are listed. If there's no bgcolor, they are semi-finalists, finalists are green, winners are pink...
...well ok, this is true only starting VCA 2005, earlier than then only finalists are listed.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:27 pm

but in the end... you only get the videos that get into the semi-finals. We all know that a lot of videos we love to suggest don't even make it that far. :|
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 pm

IIRC it only takes 20 or so votes to make it to semis... so it's not really that hard to make the semifinals cut. :|

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 pm

Bauzi wrote:but in the end... you only get the videos that get into the semi-finals. We all know that a lot of videos we love to suggest don't even make it that far. :|
There is nothing before semi-final voting, though -- just the nomination period. So, if you need the entire collection of videos in a given year, just set the "Premiered" drop-down box in the Super Search to whatever year you want to review and hit "Search". It will bring up every video entry of that year for you to review. :wink:
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:20 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
Bauzi wrote:but in the end... you only get the videos that get into the semi-finals. We all know that a lot of videos we love to suggest don't even make it that far. :|
There is nothing before semi-final voting, though -- just the nomination period. So, if you need the entire collection of videos in a given year, just set the "Premiered" drop-down box in the Super Search to whatever year you want to review and hit "Search". It will bring up every video entry of that year for you to review. :wink:
I think he was referring to the vids suggested in the VCA forums but that don't make the semis.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
this is somehow cynic =P

I don't feel like searching through all the not-so-good amvs before I find the gems. I just don't have the time, download voloume and patients. That's why I prefer the nominations threads.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:25 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Cap'n Toddenfreude wrote: Howabout istead of bringing up the suggestion threads... you just make the past years VCA winners and Runner Ups list easily available.

Like you could just have one thread that lists and links them all.

That way instead of detracting from the suggestion forum, it just makes it easier to Access the lists, (and it would be attached to the forum instead of the site) (digging through the main page links is kind of a hassle.)
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/amvvca/

On the right side you have all the previous VCAs. Click on the one you prefer and scroll down. All the nominees (that is, all vids that reached at least semi-finals) are listed. If there's no bgcolor, they are semi-finalists, finalists are green, winners are pink...

Yeah ... but it's not on the forum ... and I'd like it if it were listed using the vidid format so you have a better idea of what it is when you click.

So basically copypaste all that into different threads and sticky/Lock them them.
...well ok, this is true only starting VCA 2005, earlier than then only finalists are listed.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Tom Petty is awesome, but he is even better with the heartbreakers.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:55 pm

mirkosp wrote:IIRC it only takes 20 or so votes to make it to semis... so it's not really that hard to make the semifinals cut. :|
This is what I was referring to earlier in my posts. It doesn't take that many votes to make the semi-finals which is why I feel they are A) useless and B) create a minor problem with regards to this 'group think' voting that people are complaining about. Ultimately it's not a HUGE deal since the contest itself is one popularity contest, but the problem still exists and has for many years.

I've said it many years in a row, but I think we should have gotten rid of the semi-finals a long time ago. In fact, there weren't semi-finals for the first few years if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure someone has already commented on the correlation between the 5 videos with the highest votes during the semi-finals being the most likely to get into the finals so the semi-finals doesn't actually change anything. Then again, playing Devil's Advocate I could suggest that this means there is more exposure for the semi-finalists, but logically speaking, the semi-finals are redundant and just complicate and draw things out.

I'll also be blunt in that it rewards mediocrity. 20 or so votes isn't that much so why reward that?
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:01 pm

dwchang wrote:I'm pretty sure someone has already commented on the correlation between the 5 videos with the highest votes during the semi-finals being the most likely to get into the finals so the semi-finals doesn't actually change anything.
Actually I seem to recall quite the opposite. I think jasper said somewhere that last year's Action winner barely made semis at all, which means that semis gave it exposure and if we just directly had finals another video would have won. This also means that a 20 or so mediocrity votes made sure that a worthy video actually got through...

Return to “2010 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards”