FLAC audio file importer for CS4 Premiere/AE/Soundbooth

aleistercrowley
Org Profile

Re: FLAC audio file importer for CS3/4 Premiere/AE/Soundbooth

Post by aleistercrowley » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Ah..im sure the channelmapping from your Plugin is wrong because the Center Speaker Signals doesnt come out the Center Speaker

Here are two flac 5.1 Samples

http://rapidshare.com/files/328894815/f ... s.rar.html

Valion
Org Profile

Post by Valion » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:15 pm

aleistercrowley wrote:Ah..im sure the channelmapping from your Plugin is wrong because the Center Speaker Signals doesnt come out the Center Speaker

Here are two flac 5.1 Samples

http://rapidshare.com/files/328894815/f ... s.rar.html
Thanks, I'll check it out.

aleistercrowley
Org Profile

Post by aleistercrowley » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Thank you

It looks like the "wrong" Mapping is :
Center Channel = Surround Left
LFE = Surround Right Channel

It should be fine when you change it

Valion
Org Profile

Post by Valion » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:09 pm

aleistercrowley wrote:Thank you

It looks like the "wrong" Mapping is :
Center Channel = Surround Left
LFE = Surround Right Channel

It should be fine when you change it
I'm still trying to get the file since rapidshare is being a pile of crap, but what you posted matches up with the channel maps I found. It looks like FLAC's standard ordering is L, R, C, LFE, LS, RS, while Premiere uses L, R, LS, RS, C, LFE. I'll upload a new test version in a couple hours. :)

EDIT: Here is it: http://www.valion.net/flacimporter/FLAC ... estfix.rar I still don't have the audio files to test it, but hopefully that fixes the mapping problem. Just copy that plugin over the existing one.
One thing to note is that Premiere is pretty dumb about knowing when an audio file has changed. Unless you go delete the conformed file it makes when you imported the file, it'll keep using it, even though the underlying audio changed. You can get around this (poorly) by renaming the audio file and re-adding it to the project.

aleistercrowley
Org Profile

Post by aleistercrowley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks

Yeah, the fix works :)
Channelmapping is correct now

I will test a few bigger FLAC Files in 24Bit and varius Channel Configurations like 6.1 and 7.1, should work cause FLac can hold 7.1 Channles.

Nice work!

Here are the Sampels on Megaupload
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I139FNUD

aleistercrowley
Org Profile

Post by aleistercrowley » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:45 am

I cant edit my posts here ?

About the Samples :

Its strange ! Bot Flac files are playing 100% fine outside Premiere in any Player.
But theres a backround noise in Adobe Premiere! But i have tested a few other full Size flac Files and theres no Noise in Premiere.
So maybe Premiere has Problems with some Files so the Samples have this noise.
I get this noise in Premiere with some other Files ( avs import)..maybe its the Plugin or maybe Premiere..

PS My English is bad, SRY!

Valion
Org Profile

Post by Valion » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:06 pm

aleistercrowley wrote:I cant edit my posts here ?

About the Samples :

Its strange ! Bot Flac files are playing 100% fine outside Premiere in any Player.
But theres a backround noise in Adobe Premiere! But i have tested a few other full Size flac Files and theres no Noise in Premiere.
So maybe Premiere has Problems with some Files so the Samples have this noise.
I get this noise in Premiere with some other Files ( avs import)..maybe its the Plugin or maybe Premiere..

PS My English is bad, SRY!

I finally got the sample files earlier today, and noticed it had a background hiss in the 24-bit version of the file when played through Premiere, but was fine in Winamp. After messing around with it for awhile, I made an 8-bit version of the 16-bit file, and it sounded the same as the 24-bit file with the background hiss!

After that, I narrowed it down to one of the Adobe conversion functions, that converts 24-bit samples to their internal format. It seems like it's bugged, and reducing the quality of any 24-bit sample down to 8-bit. I made a workaround that no longer uses that function, and the hiss seems to be gone. Let me know if this works for you:

http://valion.net/flacimporter/FLAC%20I ... ha%202.rar

Same warning about needing to delete .cfa and .pek files and/or renaming and reimporting the files as last time. :)

Edit: Just realized you mentioned imported avisynth files having the same problem. The avisynth importer plugins (both mine and the videoeditortoolkit one) use that same problematic 24-bit conversion function, so that would explain it. I'll try to update my avs plugin later to see if it fixes that problem.

aleistercrowley
Org Profile

Post by aleistercrowley » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:01 am

It works! :)
Yes, i think its the same Problem with your avs Plugin

What i generally dont like in Premiere is the internal Conversion to 32Bit! It takes so long.
When i want to export a 5.1 Project in Premiere or directly with MediaEncoder (to AC3 with Surcode Dolby Digital encoder) Adobe makes its internal Conversion to 32Bit first. It takes very long sometimes on big Files.

Is there a Way to disable it ? Theres no Option to disable it, but maybe a Plugin/Function Tweak could do it?
Thats why i prefer Sony Vegas! Vegas doesnt convert the Audio so the whole Process is "a lot faster".

Valion
Org Profile

Post by Valion » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:54 am

aleistercrowley wrote:It works! :)
Yes, i think its the same Problem with your avs Plugin

What i generally dont like in Premiere is the internal Conversion to 32Bit! It takes so long.
When i want to export a 5.1 Project in Premiere or directly with MediaEncoder (to AC3 with Surcode Dolby Digital encoder) Adobe makes its internal Conversion to 32Bit first. It takes very long sometimes on big Files.

Is there a Way to disable it ? Theres no Option to disable it, but maybe a Plugin/Function Tweak could do it?
Thats why i prefer Sony Vegas! Vegas doesnt convert the Audio so the whole Process is "a lot faster".
There's a flag that plugins can set to stop the pre-processing, but it's basically system-wide, so it can't be set per file. I have a flag in my avs plugin to choose it, but I really, really hate the way that app works, which is why I didn't include one in this plugin. Working on a better version of it for the FLAC and AVS plugins now. :)

That said, here's a version with avoidAudioConform permanently set to true :) http://valion.net/flacimporter/FLAC%20I ... 202-DC.rar

PPNSteve
Org Profile

Post by PPNSteve » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:36 pm

Just popping in to say THANKS for this plugin.. (hopefully it works) now I don't have to convert my flacs to wave to use them :)

Return to “Video Editing Software”