2010 VCAs - General Discussion

This forum is for the discussion of AMVs for the 2010 Viewers' Choice Awards. This is a temporary forum and will be removed when the contest is done.

2010 VCAs - General Discussion

Postby GloryQuestor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:50 pm

This is for general discussion for whatever doesn't fit in the other forums but that is VCA-related. You can also ask questions about the contest here.
( :| Serious Business Studios :| )
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero

Re: 2010 VCAs - General Discussion

Postby Bauzi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm

- Qualifying videos listed: January 8

I protest! We surely want to see a lot of videos in the VCAs. I demand an extansion of this deadline. This is just too soon!

btw. if you didn't planed it anyway: Notify all members via email about the event too :wink:
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby Animated » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Put an edit button in here! :|
Animated
Drama Text Cop

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 pm

:up: on not arbitrarily unchecking the "I have all my videos in the database" thing, hence making it an opt-out process.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Fall_Child42 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Can we have category suggestion back?
Fall_Child42
has a rock

Postby Ishbalan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:35 pm

It was a crap year.
Why not forget about it and move on?
Ishbalan

Postby Silk_SK » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:38 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote::up: on not arbitrarily unchecking the "I have all my videos in the database" thing, hence making it an opt-out process.

Thank God. The VCAs passed me by last year without me knowing that I had to check some little box somewhere to participate.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” - Winston Churchill
Silk_SK

Postby mirkosp » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Silk_SK wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote::up: on not arbitrarily unchecking the "I have all my videos in the database" thing, hence making it an opt-out process.

Thank God. The VCAs passed me by last year without me knowing that I had to check some little box somewhere to participate.

There still is one box to check: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/amvvca/2010/voter_agreement.php
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Animated » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Last year every Russian editor suggested amvs that came from other Russian editors. This year everyone in Re-evolution studios is suggesting amvs of... Re-evolution studios as the best of each category, plus Chiikaboom.

Guess who will continue this circle of life the next year and win some cookies!
Animated
Drama Text Cop

Postby LittleAtari » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:23 pm

If a video is not officially in category, can it still win that category? For example, if someone nominates a video for most fun, but the video isnt cataloged as a fun video, can that be nominated/the Fun category?

EDIT:
Animated wrote:Last year every Russian editor suggested amvs that came from other Russian editors. This year everyone in Re-evolution studios is suggesting amvs of... Re-evolution studios as the best of each category, plus Chiikaboom.

Also, I'm sick of people complaining about circle jerks. Re-Evo is like 20 editors. 20 votes will not make a video win a category. As for the Russians, it wasnt a problem last year. No one cry 'ZOMG CIRCLE JERK' because the VCAs involves the entire site, not just the forums. Let's say the biggest circle jerk is 50 people. That still isnt enough to win a category.

Now if you were to tell me that more popular editors are bound to win, that popularity does stem from those editors establishing themselves. It will be harder for newer people who havent had as much time to make a big enough impact to get that. There's no way to avoid this. Part of your video being the best is that it was strong enough to surpass the popularity curve.
Last edited by LittleAtari on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LittleAtari

Postby Ileia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Animated wrote:Last year every Russian editor suggested amvs that came from other Russian editors. This year everyone in Re-evolution studios is suggesting amvs of... Re-evolution studios as the best of each category, plus Chiikaboom.

It happens. A lot of that is because those are the videos they've seen. Personally, it just introduces me to more videos that I might not otherwise notice.

Atari: Yes, if it's the same as last year. The list is filtered to show those listed in the category, but you can change the filters.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm

LittleAtari wrote:Let's say the biggest circle jerk is 50 people.
I hope they put down a tarp. That's an awful lot of semen. :amv:
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby CodeZTM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 pm

Honestly, I don't think its that much of a problem. Most of the videos they're suggesting are pretty much deserving of the awards they're being entered to. It's all down to personal taste when the voting comes around.
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby godix » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:47 pm

LittleAtari wrote:Also, I'm sick of people complaining about circle jerks. Re-Evo is like 20 editors. 20 votes will not make a video win a category. As for the Russians, it wasnt a problem last year. No one cry 'ZOMG CIRCLE JERK' because the VCAs involves the entire site, not just the forums. Let's say the biggest circle jerk is 50 people. That still isnt enough to win a category.

No, but circle jerks are enough to get into the finals. For example, I've been a finalist for most helpful for like the last four or five years now. So circle jerks can get a video rather far, far enough to get attention and so on while other, perhaps more deserving, vids get ignored.

OTOH, the entire contest is a giant circlejerk what does it matter?
godix
a disturbed member

Postby dwchang » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm

godix wrote:
LittleAtari wrote:Also, I'm sick of people complaining about circle jerks. Re-Evo is like 20 editors. 20 votes will not make a video win a category. As for the Russians, it wasnt a problem last year. No one cry 'ZOMG CIRCLE JERK' because the VCAs involves the entire site, not just the forums. Let's say the biggest circle jerk is 50 people. That still isnt enough to win a category.

No, but circle jerks are enough to get into the finals. For example, I've been a finalist for most helpful for like the last four or five years now. So circle jerks can get a video rather far, far enough to get attention and so on while other, perhaps more deserving, vids get ignored.

Godix is 100% correct. It doesn't take many votes to make the finals so this is definitely a (minor) problem. For me the problem exists in that deserving videos are ignored due to this. Casual viewers will assume what is in the finals is "the best" when in reality it usually not the case.

That said, Godix is also correct in that the entire contest is one circle jerk within our community so meh.

Edit: It is still pretty hilarious how far people will go for an online contest though and also sad that folks are unable to see past their friends or assume their friends make the best things and thus are blind to other good work. Oh well.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site

Next

Return to 2010 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewers' Choice Awards