Flip4Mac issue?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
KakashiSharingan
Org Profile

Flip4Mac issue?

Post by KakashiSharingan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:55 am

Ok, first of all, I'm not extremely AMV savvy, I've only made a few videos to play around. I'm still in the learning process, especially when it comes to file extensions, codecs, and the like, but I've got a pretty good handle the actual editing part.

So here's my issue. I recently downloaded some videos onto my Mac to start an AMV. The videos play perfectly on QuickTime. However, once imported into iMovie there's a nasty "Flip4Mac" water mark on said video, which obviously can't be used for an AMV.

Is there something I need to do differently, different software? I'm up for any suggestions.

Also if it helps, I'm running Tiger OSX.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: Flip4Mac issue?

Post by Bauzi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:31 am

First off: Downloaded material is most of the time a bad choice for editing. It often gets unstable, glitchy and the quality is not as good as dvd source. Also prework for the source can get more frustrating.

I suggest you buy the DVDs, read this guides:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/
and than you read this guide on how you can use your knowledge on a Mac:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 75&start=0

I never used Flip4Mac, but there are some possibilites:
-You might be able to turn of the watermark in the preferences of Flip4Mac
-You might have to buy/donate to Flip4Mac to make it dissapear

Did you tried Perrian? It's something "similar" to Flip4Mac and is freeware. It shouldn't leave a watermark.
http://perian.org/
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

KakashiSharingan
Org Profile

Post by KakashiSharingan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:30 am

Unfortunately my videos are coming from a video game, a DVD is not available and ripping videos from a PS2 doesn't sound like an easy task compared to just downloading it.

When I first found the issue I came here and ended up downloading Perian, but to be honest I'm not exactly sure how it works. I can access Flip4Mac when I select "Open With" on a video file, but Perian doesn't show. I'm a little worried that I may need to delete the videos, remove Flip4Mac, and then re-download all of them with Perian installed. For obvious, time consuming reasons, I'd love to avoid this.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:08 am

I never used Flip4Mac and it sounds confusing. You definatly don't need to redownload all your videos. After Perian is installed it will never show up or ask you something beside downloads. It just adds to programs the ability to play some more video codecs.

Capturing from a PS2 isn't too hard.
-There are a lot of different methods to get cutscenes from the games with programs. Just google "rip GAMETITLE cutscenes" and you might find a small program and instruction to do so.
-With a capture box. Like one of Canopus: http://www.epinions.com/reviews/pr-ADVC ... otherboard
Plug it into your FireWire, open FCP and go to capture. The rest is pretty easy.

Damn I want a Canopus Box too :|
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:24 am

I have never had any issues of flip4mac, but you should not be editing with wmv anyhow. As Bauzi says, ripping from the disc or capturing is better. Canopus is a very expensive brand.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Kionon wrote:I have never had any issues of flip4mac, but you should not be editing with wmv anyhow. As Bauzi says, ripping from the disc or capturing is better. Canopus is a very expensive brand.
Do you now cheap and worthy alternatives? I really would like to have a good capture box. Even some USB ones (what I doubt...)?

KakashiSharingan
Org Profile

Post by KakashiSharingan » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:31 am

I'll look into ripping it from the disc then. Any ideas how people are getting videos off of DS games by chance?

a1ic3
Org Profile

Post by a1ic3 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:33 am

I would like to point out that there is no need for him to make a donation to make the watermark disappear. It can be solved by making some simple changes in Flip4Mac settings. Sometime ago I had to deal with the same problem and it was one of my friends who helped me by turning off the watermark in Flip4Mac. Now I do not remember how he did that. Anyway I will ask him and will come up with an answer within two days.
Power

Return to “Mac Software”