Dvd Questions

AntiDragon
Org Profile

Dvd Questions

Post by AntiDragon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:30 am

Hi there all, I was hoping you could be totally honest when answering the questions I have below...

My friend has a bluray 1080p (which he pirated, and say with the optimal settings) and an iso (which he bought) of the same movie. Would I be better off with the much bigger 1080p, or the iso dvd?

---

What do I do with the iso?

----

How can I make the dvd footage 1080p etc?

---

Should I ask him to get dvd9 or dvd5 of the dvd? Because I dunno whats the difference :S

--

Thanks !

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: Dvd Questions

Post by Bauzi » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:16 am

We don't support piracy and always encourage you to support the industry and buy your sources. Go with the dvd sources. Sources you buy (DVD/Bluray) have always higher quality than pirated footage so go with the DVDs. As said in the website rules:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... f=14&t=289
What do I do with the iso?
You mount it in Deamon Tools and than you follow this guide to get the maximum quality possible and the least trouble when working with DVDs:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/
How can I make the dvd footage 1080p etc?
It's not a good idea. You can upscale it with various filters and stuff, but in the end: You can't create details that don't exist in the small ressolution. Think about it. DVDs are only 480p. The easiest way to upscale is just to play them in full screen. Encoding and editing dvds in 1080p makes therefor no sense.
Should I ask him to get dvd9 or dvd5 of the dvd? Because I dunno whats the difference :S
Bought dvds are most of the time dvd9. They are double layer dvds and have probably a higher bitrate. So if you buy a dvd they are most of the time dvd9. Tell him to buy the dvds and you're fine with it.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

AntiDragon
Org Profile

Post by AntiDragon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks, that seems to answer my questions nicely. I guess I'll probably go with getting the iso, or just borrowing the DVD to make everything a little bit easier.

But just to put me at ease of mind, what does happen when you rip a dvd5 as dvd9?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:37 am

AntiDragon wrote:But just to put me at ease of mind, what does happen when you rip a dvd5 as dvd9?
If you're doing it the way that's most optimal (straight decryption) there's absolutely no difference between the two. DVD5 and DVD9 are code-names for how much space the DVD media has, it has nothing to do with the way the video or audio is encoded, just the layer types. DVD5 = single layer, 4.7GB (4.37GB in reality because of 1000 vs. 1024 kilobyte issues), DVD9 = dual layer, 8.5GB (not sure of the actual numbers, but it's something like 7.9GB). They round the numbers up just like people will round 23.976fps to 24fps and 29.97fps to 30fps in common parlance.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

AntiDragon
Org Profile

Post by AntiDragon » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:59 pm

You have my gratitude, thanks alot !

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 am

We do support buying the actual source but as long as you've bought it anyway and have both the iso and the 1080p version in your possesion, the quality of the 1080p file should be loads better unless something is terribly wrong with it. Hell, it's high definition, it's no match.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Emotive wrote:We do support buying the actual source but as long as you've bought it anyway and have both the iso and the 1080p version in your possesion, the quality of the 1080p file should be loads better unless something is terribly wrong with it. Hell, it's high definition, it's no match.
Not really. There are a lot of groups out there that can mess up 1080p encodes. It really doesn't mean that it's automaticly better.

Personally I would prefer 480p videos with superior video quality.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Return to “Video & Audio Help”