What Formats can Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 read?

For help and discussion concerning Magix's (formerly Sony's) Movie Studio and Vegas Pro editing software.
twindelphine
Org Profile

What Formats can Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 read?

Post by twindelphine » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 pm

I'm having a bit of trouble here, so I'm hoping that someone can help. I've tried converting most of my RAW anime materials from MP4 AAC format to AVI XviD MP3 format. But Vegas stated that the audio "stream attributes cannot be determined". So I wanted to ask existing Sony Vegas users what format did you guys have for your videos.

Currently I'm using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack for playback of my videos, but someone also recommended I should uninstall that & install only Haali Media Splitter & FFDShow. Can someone also advise on that as well?

I really appreciate help for answering my problems here. Hope to see some replies soon! :)

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: What Formats can Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 read?

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:24 pm

1.READFAGLULZ
2.Don't edit XviD's/DivX's,MP3's.Edit Losless/WAV formats.
3.Uninstall K-Lite It sucks.
4.Get CCPD.

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:55 am

Soup wrote:1.Read <a href="http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech3/">ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>LULZ
4.Get CCPD.
1. Will get to it. Thanks for the suggestion
2. Is MP4 considered lossless (this part might change as I go find out)
4. What's CCPD?

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 am

The original question still stands: What are the video & audio codecs/formats that you guys use to edit your videos? I'd prefer Sony Vegas users to answer, but I don't mind other editors as long as you state the software you're using.

Thanks a lot in advance. I'm looking forward to be able to edit my own AMV soon.

Panky
Org Profile

Post by Panky » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:24 pm

twindelphine wrote:
Soup wrote:1.Read <a href="http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech3/">ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>LULZ
4.Get CCPD.
1. Will get to it. Thanks for the suggestion
2. Is MP4 considered lossless (this part might change as I go find out)
4. What's CCPD?
2. No, lossless are considered those codecs that may not change the video information, so quality stays the same ( such codecs like HUFFYUV, Lagarith ). They weight more than you could expect, though (lagarith less, but needs more processing power). However, if you start from a MP4, editing to these won't make much of a difference. I think Soup referred to the fact of starting from a better quality source.

4. I believe he meant CCCP(Combined Community Codec Pack), because he was talking about Codec Pack.
twindelphine wrote:The original question still stands: What are the video & audio codecs/formats that you guys use to edit your videos? I'd prefer Sony Vegas users to answer, but I don't mind other editors as long as you state the software you're using.
The best would be like Soup said, to edit from Lossless sources from the best quality DVD's sources you could find. I have only used Adobe Premiere editor, but I can tell that editing to MP4 containers is usually (not always) buggy, at least from the very poor experience I have in using them. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a AVI Xvid and MP3, my guess is that the conversion wasn't good at all and there was a problem in the middle. And even if you can play it with the player, maybe it won't read in the editor.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:05 pm

The reason xvid, divx, h.264 (in general) and the like don't work in editing programs is because not every frame has all of the information needed to fully reconstruct the video. You get a lot of frames that rely on data from the previous frame, which also relies on data from its previous frame...and so on until you hit a keyframe (which can be a few hundred frames back.)

.mp3 should work just fine in editing programs (because each audio sample has all the information needed to make the sound it's supposed to make.) That said, it's probably still a good idea to work with lossless audio through as much of the editing process as you can...quality stuff and whatnot.

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:05 am

From my experience, Vegas will accept most common formats, but hates any compressed avi videos. :wink:

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:27 am

Pankyy wrote:2. No, lossless are considered those codecs that may not change the video information, so quality stays the same ( such codecs like HUFFYUV, Lagarith ). They weight more than you could expect, though (lagarith less, but needs more processing power). However, if you start from a MP4, editing to these won't make much of a difference. I think Soup referred to the fact of starting from a better quality source.

4. I believe he meant CCCP(Combined Community Codec Pack), because he was talking about Codec Pack.
twindelphine wrote:The original question still stands: What are the video & audio codecs/formats that you guys use to edit your videos? I'd prefer Sony Vegas users to answer, but I don't mind other editors as long as you state the software you're using.
The best would be like Soup said, to edit from Lossless sources from the best quality DVD's sources you could find. I have only used Adobe Premiere editor, but I can tell that editing to MP4 containers is usually (not always) buggy, at least from the very poor experience I have in using them. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a AVI Xvid and MP3, my guess is that the conversion wasn't good at all and there was a problem in the middle. And even if you can play it with the player, maybe it won't read in the editor.
4. I'm hoping you are right. Perhaps Soup can confirm this? Cos only he can rectify his error.

& with regards to your last paragraph, I've been dependent on mp4 H.264/X.264 AAC sources from torrents, since I don't have the resources to get all the anime series I wanted. Playing them was not too big an issue, but the post-conversion process (I was using SUPER Converter to convert this) was a bit of a problem since Sony couldn't read them.

Maybe the SUPER Converter may be the problem. I've been using FFmpeg with all my series I almost thought there is not a problem. Perhaps I can convert to .mpg & see if it works, since I know someone who have worked with that format in Sony Vegas.
Kariudo wrote:.mp3 should work just fine in editing programs (because each audio sample has all the information needed to make the sound it's supposed to make.) That said, it's probably still a good idea to work with lossless audio through as much of the editing process as you can...quality stuff and whatnot.
Which is why I wonder why it didn't work at all. Even now Sony Vegas refuses to read the audio of my videos.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:45 am

Yeah i meant CCCP i always type CCPD by accident ;p

twindelphine
Org Profile

Post by twindelphine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:25 am

Glad with the correction Soup. I'm familiar with CCCP before. It had caused several problems with playback, but that was the 2008 version that they had.

Like I said it seems strange that Sony Vegas cannot read MP3 audio in video but was able to play MP3 songs. Found similar problems posted online that dates back even to 2000. Anyways contacting Sony Creative on the matter.

I am thinking of converting to a format like .mpg file with .mp2 audio codec, since I don't really have much space with both my original & AVI converted files all around my internal & external hard drives for the lossless conversion. But I wanna ask, what's the best way to convert a MP4 (H.264 video, AAC audio) to a readable format by Sony Vegas with minimum loss in quality & not too much of space increase?

Return to “Movie Studio & Vegas Pro”