deinterlacing of amvs/MEP parts

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
Anicsi
Org Profile

deinterlacing of amvs/MEP parts

Post by Anicsi » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Alright, here I go with a new problem xD I am currently hosting a MEP and two of the parts that were sent to me have heavy interlacing. So even though the quality is amazing, we don't know how to remove the interlacing because apparently the editors made a mistake cleaning their footage when ripping from their DVDs (as they aren't on a-m-v.org I guess they haven't read the 'how-to' guides xD)

Anyway, so I am a bit clueless now as to what to do now. Both of the parts were sent to me as .wmv files (*cough*), and even though I have no problems with using them in Final Cut (thanks to flip4mac) I don't know which program to use to remove the interlacing (if possible at all?).
The premiere date is the 1st of January but I am going to be away over the holidays so I really need help!
I'd be very grateful!

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Re: deinterlacing of amvs/MEP parts

Post by Bauzi » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:49 pm

You better load the parts into MPEGStream Clip and convert them to a lossless codec. I suggest Apple Pro Res 4222.

Than insert the clip on the timeline in FC (Pro or Express?). Go to Effects->Video Filters->Video-De-Interlace that should do the job. I don't know if it's working and I'm not sure if it is the best method to deint in your case.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:18 am

Is the footage PAL or NTSC?

If it's telecined, merely deinterlacing it won't be enough.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:40 am

Kionon wrote:Is the footage PAL or NTSC?

If it's telecined, merely deinterlacing it won't be enough.

Both of them are from the US so I believe it's NTSC. If this is what you want to know x.x If this is the case, is there any way at all to remove the interlacing? I'd try Bauzi's suggestion but if you say it's not enough...
Tanks for your help, both of you! ^^

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:47 am

Oh sorry, and I have FC Express...

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:54 am

stick the footage in avisynth and use nnedi2 on it?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:14 pm

I am not sure if I know what you want me to do ^^" My brother usually rips my dvd footage on his win compy so I have never ripped before. I did read the avisynth sticky though, but I get an avs file, right? So.... how should I do this when having a wmv file to begin with? x.x
I also did scroll over the whole topic but couldn't find a post that applied to my question. However, if someone has asked this before I am terribly sorry and if you can guide me to that post I will make sure to try everything carefully before asking again.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:32 pm

First you need to stick it in MPEGStreamClup and using flip4mac/perian, convert to a lossless or highquality, cross platform format, and place in an avi container. Then you need to run VDubMod inside of wine/crossover, convert to HUFFYUV (this is lossless), load that via avisource, apply filters, use VDubMod again to render the final fixed copy to HUFFYUV, place back into MPEGStreamClip and Save As .MOV. Place in Final Cut. ???? Profit!
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:38 pm

wow, a long way to go, huh? But okay, I will try that. Thank you Kionon :)

Only that basically my problems start already with the first thing lol Um... Somehow MPEGStreamclip is really mocking me and apparently there's no way for me to get a flawless avi file.
I tried about 6 different conversions:
1. I converted/exported it using different codecs with the .avi extension. NONE of them worked.

the first 3 conversions (umm, I don't really know what's HQ for you and lossless but cross platform, so I tried various ^^") were H.264, x264 and ... i can't remember, sorry ^^": They had either only the audio or neither audio nor video when opening them in QT.

The fourth conversion was Apple Intermediate Codec since I simply wanted to know if it was the same case. Here I had a HQ video but no audio. lol

The last conversion was with dvix codec but the quality is really stupidly and extremely bad, it hurts only looking at it.

2. Okay, so I tried it with using mp4 container and thought about moving it into an avi container next.
JUp, conversion was perfect (H.264 since there aren't many options) BUT when I moved it into an avi container (> save as) : NO video, NO audio. lol

WHAT the hell am I supposed to do? I thought as the audio is going to be replaced in the mep I don't necessarily need it but I doubt that Apple Intermediate Codec is a cross platform codec, right? xD

Any suggestions? Which codec should I export it as? Is that normal?
I am truly sorry about that and appreciate your help!

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:46 am

Kionon said it:
First you need to stick it in MPEGStreamClup and using flip4mac/perian, convert to a lossless or highquality, cross platform format, and place in an avi container. Then you need to run VDubMod inside of wine/crossover, convert to HUFFYUV (this is lossless), load that via avisource, apply filters, use VDubMod again to render the final fixed copy to HUFFYUV, place back into MPEGStreamClip and Save As .MOV. Place in Final Cut. ???? Profit!
Yes okay this is too cryptic for somebody who obviously has no experience with it. Kionon, I think you don't like that new people on the internet always want everything on a silver plate without effort and doing something for it, but this is just too hard for somebody new.

lossless: HuffYUV (-> codec)

"load that via avisource" = use Avisynth
"apply filters" = Avisynth scripts with filters
"use VDubMod again" = load your Avisynthscript (.avs) into VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod
Wine/Crossover = two methods that let you use Windows programs and games on your Mac. Crossover costs a bit, but is easier to use.

Looking around for sticky guides often helps:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 75&start=0

This guide will tell you which filters you'll need for de-interlacing:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... ocId250182
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... ssive.html

What you need to know about avisynth:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... synth.html

This is a very usefull knowledge to work with high quality dvd material on a Mac, but you probably want to test my method too. It's just easier, faster and might work as well. I still recommend you to read threw the guides. It's usefull technical knowledge for working with videos.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Return to “Mac Software”