How do you people find such great songs???

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
kossyremp
Org Profile

How do you people find such great songs???

Post by kossyremp » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:46 am

I practically listen to just new rock and rap and dnb, that sort of thing, and im finding it impossible to find amazing songs like Im always seeing the community use. I listen to the radio, the charts, I look on the internet but I cant find as awsome and original songs as everybody else is using. Anyhelp on where to look?

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: How do you people find such great songs???

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Last.FM?Friends?YouTube?Google?

kossyremp
Org Profile

Post by kossyremp » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:49 pm

last.fm allows you to search for bands and songs, I dont think it introduces you to new music. My friends listen to practically the same thing as me. Ive never found any good music on youtube apart from songs used with AMV's which I would then not use. Googles a search engine so once again id be searching for a band or song.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:28 pm

Vershiris wrote:last.fm allows you to search for bands and songs, I dont think it introduces you to new music. My friends listen to practically the same thing as me. Ive never found any good music on youtube apart from songs used with AMV's which I would then not use. Googles a search engine so once again id be searching for a band or song.
To be honest, the songs on this site introduced me to tons of new music genres I would have otherwise ignored. Just download tons of AMV's, and you're bound to find something new you like.

A short list of bands found here that I adore now:

*Yellowcard
*The Wombats
*They Might Be Giants
*Yalla/Arash
*Run With The Kittens
*Family Force 5

And the list goes on from there.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Vershiris wrote:last.fm allows you to search for bands and songs, I dont think it introduces you to new music. My friends listen to practically the same thing as me. Ive never found any good music on youtube apart from songs used with AMV's which I would then not use. Googles a search engine so once again id be searching for a band or song.
No.In Last.FM u listen to bands similar to *insert band here* or *insert genre*, So if u like *insert genre* just listen to that radio and your bound to find something good.

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:21 pm

For the most part every time I come on here all I see people using is some crap looped programmed music. Or some getsoldafter2listens J-Pop hit.

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Vershiris wrote:I practically listen to just new rock and rap and dnb, that sort of thing. I listen to the radio, the charts, I look on the internet but I cant find as awsome and original songs as everybody else is using.
Therein lies your problem. You have to be willing to go beyond your "comfort zone" in music. Looking at the charts will NOT due this, as the vast majority of stuff on Billboard is homogenous crap. "New" rock sucks ass (I'm looking at YOU, Nickelback), and even the less "radio-friendly" stuff isn't all that great. Honestly, don't be afraid to look outside of North America, and I don't mean just Japan.

As for RnB, you definitely need to get the hell out of the mainstream to find stuff that's not about "oh girl i wanna sex you all night long", or rap that's not about (as Yahtzee would say) "guns, whores, and whores getting shot with guns." On the RnB side, I tend to like stuff similar to Joss Stone. Yes, she's more mainstream-ish, but it's at least better than a lot of the other stuff. For rap, look into Lupe Fiasco and especially Bomani Armah (aka D-Mite, of "Read A Book" fame).

Also, don't be afraid to dig in to soundtracks from video games as a jumping-off point for other works by those artists. Poets of the Fall originally made a splash over here with Late Goodbye from Max Payne 2, and Lift from the 3DMark credits. They have 3 albums out and they're pretty damned good. Also check the intertubez for their live cover of Chris Cornell's You Know My Name. Very good stuff to be had there.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:34 am

In all honesty: Mainstream radio will give you almost nothing more than generic crap. It might sound good at the first time, but you get so sick of it after some time. Of course there are some songs that I like on the radio, but there was only one surprise for me this year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUsbpmQ9-mc
8-bit Pop in mainstream radio? OMG!

Listen to last.fm and download amvs. That's at least how I found all my favourite bands.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

TenseiHenry
Org Profile

Post by TenseiHenry » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:50 am

Like others have mentioned Last.fm is really probably the best place to find artists. But you do have to also try listening to genres and artist that you normally wouldn't listen to. If you find you like the song you like in a amv, look up the artist and you could possibly end up liking some of their other works. Last.fm's radio is nice if you're looking for maybe similar songs also.
Fire_Starter wrote:Honestly, don't be afraid to look outside of North America, and I don't mean just Japan.
Most of my favorite bands now don't even come from North America, so don't only look at the radio/charts here.

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Besides last.fm I subscribe to blogs and check out user list on rateyourmusic

Return to “General Discussion”