X Ghosts - Interested?

Discussion & organization of Multi-Editor Projects
Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

X Ghosts - Interested?

Post by Bauzi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:11 am

Hey guys,

I was thinking about some sort of MEP idea. You know I was lately listening to NIN music again and I thought about starting a small little project. It's like a collection of short amvs. The core idea is simple as that. Really.

The second core theme around this idea is the album Ghosts I-IV by Nine Inch Nails. This free album is a collection of instrumental songs by Trent Reznor (man behind the project NiN). A pretty interesting album because of it's great diversity.

You can download the album legaly and free from this website:
http://www.archive.org/details/nineinch ... hosts_I_IV

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is just an interest gauge thread, but I 'll tell you how I imagine this MEP/collection of short amvs:

-No track is longer than 2 minutes or shorter than 30 seconds. Of yours this point is always discussable if somebody needs more or less time.

-Effects. Not really effects needed, but it's a goal to make a track as visual tasty and interesting as possible. Effects can help. Think about designs and concepts =) Artsy and stuff...

-Interesting sources. Allowed are: anime, hentai (please artsy and not to perfedic!), original animation, games (be aware that old games might not fit the quality standards because of the low graphical quality they have), original animation and yes: Life Action.

Still the goal is to host this video on the org. That means 50%+ must be a-m-v.org source related. A 18+ video is not the goal, but if for artsy reasons this video happens to be this way than I let it be it. There might be also a censored/org friendly version too.

Sources I will reject unless you can really really confince me that your track is something special even with this footage: Final Fantasy, FInal Fantasy AC/Crises Core etc, Naruto, Bleach, Inujasha, Kingdom Hearts… Oh I probably forgot a lot to mention.

Why do I reject them? Because I dislike them. Deal with it! There is still the chance to convince me. Good luck ;)

-There won't be a mix. Yes there won't be a fix mix for this project. Everybody is free to choose every song from the album and use it (a song can only be used once). The album is a great atmospheric work. There really is no need for a mix, because the mood of the album is already alright. There might be even no transitions. That's why this is more a collection of videos, than a regular MEP as we all imagine it.

-I have the right to reject a track. Don't think that just because you made a track you're automaticly in. I think a lot of projects miss a strong coordinator behind it who just can say no to bad tracks. Remember AMV Hell 4! A strong hand should have rejected a lot of Deathnote clips for the sake of the quality of the project.

So I play the Nazi role in this game, but trust me: At least I will give you feedback and all sort of infos needed that such rejections won't happen. Refer to the paragraph about effects and design and you won't have any troubles.

-Technical site: Widescreen. 60fps. SD-ressolution (unless everybody uses at least 720p footage)

60fps: gives us a lot of visual possibilities and sexyness. However you're not supposed to edit in 60fps. If you're fine with 30fps for your track than do so and I will adjust the framerate at the end mix. However I encourage everybody who uses original animation or motion effects to use 60fps. Thx.

-Absolut deadline: Begin June 2010, because afterwards I might be a hell of a busy person and that would delay the release by months.

Why is it called X Ghosts? X will stand for the numbers of tracks we will finaly have in this project.

So… How do you like the idea? Any feedback, questions, comments, interests?

This MEP will be started with at least 4 participants/tracks (including myself).
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Re: X Ghosts - Interested?

Post by Otohiko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:20 am

Would probably maybe potentially be interested, given the material at hand.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:41 pm

I haven't listened to Ghosts since it came out, but from what I can recall of it, I'd be interested

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 pm

I want in :up:
Last edited by Enigma on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chez
Not Mexican
Org Profile

Post by Chez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:07 pm

I'd be a little interested, i'd need to know deadlines and what not but i could try my hand a little.
Image I stream and stuff o.o

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Sounds like it could have potential. But what's with the 60 fps thing? I find such technological progression to be quite the mood-killer sometimes, like "oooo look at the pretty thing moving fast" instead of " ;_; hold me teddy bear.", and this mep seems like it should be more about the teddy bear part.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:47 pm

Emotive wrote:Sounds like it could have potential. But what's with the 60 fps thing? I find such technological progression to be quite the mood-killer sometimes, like "oooo look at the pretty thing moving fast" instead of " ;_; hold me teddy bear.", and this mep seems like it should be more about the teddy bear part.
Seeing Emotive in such pain is unacceptable ! I DEMAND this to be 100,100 and 15 fps.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Chez wrote:I'd be a little interested, i'd need to know deadlines and what not but i could try my hand a little.
Deadline is around the begin of June 2010. If we won't reach it, it will delayed until the beginning of August due to some local convention stuff I have to do (like contest organizing :) ).
Sounds like it could have potential. But what's with the 60 fps thing? I find such technological progression to be quite the mood-killer sometimes, like "oooo look at the pretty thing moving fast" instead of " ;_; hold me teddy bear.", and this mep seems like it should be more about the teddy bear part.
Actually you're right and I forgot about the mood thing. Cinema will be 24fps for ages just for one good reason: It was always this way. Sounds silly, right? However we are so much used to <30fps rates that rates of 50fps and more look unreal and strange too use. It has this kind of amateur look for use (Blairwitch Project). Cinema remains 24fps because of estetic reasons.

You bring up a really good point and I will definatly consider this. I thought 60fps could be usefull for effect motion and stuff like noise. Maybe we keep it 60fps for parts that benifit from it and the rest is just upspeed 30fps? Ei... this is really a dilema. Let me think about it, because the mood thingy is very important. What I can say (my personal experience) is that you notice 60fps only if you tweak with velocity settings of your clips and custom effects with motion.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Bauzi wrote:What I can say (my personal experience) is that you notice 60fps only if you tweak with velocity settings of your clips and custom effects with motion.
To quote your original post: "Not really effects needed". I got the impression the entire point isn't eye candy. If I got that wrong, then I withdraw my interest. I don't want to be in another eyecandy only MEP. This isn't Ayumix after all, hopefully this will actually be entertaining.

Also, we deal with anime which is often as low as 12 fps if you actually look at what frames change. 60 FPS can look really nice if done right, as nostro has proved, but how many people are going to go to the effort of doing it right? Adding assumefps(60) to a script is not doing it right, but I'll bet that's exactly what most people would do. I know that's all I'd do at least.

Dar
yuri addict
Org Profile

Post by Dar » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:53 pm

Well id definetly be interested in watching it :lol:

Return to “Multi-Editor Projects”