RealTek sound manager filters

BurningLeaves
Org Profile

RealTek sound manager filters

Post by BurningLeaves » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:07 am

This is a pretty random question, I don't know if it's possible and I know nothing about playing with audio.

I had an issue with my headphones not picking up sound and I noticed if I used some of the sound effect filters in the realtek sound manager I was able to pick it up, mind you most everything sounded bad and washed out with the exception of one instrumental track. The sound effect I chose was 'Room' its sounds almost similar to when you are listening to a cd/mp3 player and dont push the headphone jack in all the way, it gave this particular track a really haunting and distorted sound that I think sounded great with it. Basically I was wondering if there is anyway I can get this file to actually sound like this so I could make something with it. Here is a SS of what I'm talking about along with the properties of the sound effect, most of which I have no idea what it means, any tips would be appreciated.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: RealTek sound manager filters

Post by Scintilla » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 am

Sounds like the problem/sound described in this thread. Check my suggestion over there and see if it gets you the sound you're hearing.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:50 pm

yeah what he said. Short in the headgear or in the jack, sounds like.

To try and confirm it, pick a music track with very strong left and right noises that are very different, and compare. Or change headphones for a bit.
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:53 am

I'd been racking my brain with this thread and the other one linked for a hardware solution to recording the sound from the headphones versus software modification. Short of placing the headphones on a stereo microphone, or better yet, mics in a human head analog (for better placement/mounting of the headphones), I don't see another way without some possibly irreversible physical modifications. That option is to cut the cord from the end closest to the earpieces (assuming the shorting/defective end is on the plug side), attaching a stereo phono plug (1/4-inch or 1/8-inch mini male) to the cut end, and connecting it to a recording device. If it's the earpiece end of the cord that is producing that effect then obviously the previous technique will definitely be detrimentally destructive.

One option to try and duplicate the "didn't push the headphone jack all the way" effect is to get one of those cords with the same jack on both ends (usually stereo 1/8-inch mini, aka. 3.5mm male-to-male), typically sold as "MP3 or iPod auxiliary audio cable" for connecting portable devices to corresponding inputs in car or mini-home stereos. Connect one end fully and then the other end loosely. Or bend and play with the cord enough to wear it down until it shorts like your headphones (might give unpredictable results, makes the cable useless for its intended purpose, and requires spending money better used to buy new headphones).
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

labiteena
Org Profile

Post by labiteena » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:41 am

Can you somehow plug in normal headphones to a TV that does not have a specific "headphone" input? I had the idea you could plug in the headphones in to the two audio inputs. (left and right, or yellow and white) on the back of the TV. This of course would require an adpater - plug the normal headphone jack into an adapter/converter that splits into two cables (yellow and right) and those cables are plugged into the audio input. I have no idea if such a product exists; or even if headphones would even work with those audio inputs. I really appreciate any responses at all. Thank you very much.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:11 am

Stores like Radio Shack, Sam Ash, and Guitar Center sell such Y-cables. Look for 1/8" (or 1/4" depending on your headphones) stereo to 2x RCA/phono.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:46 am

labiteena wrote:Can you somehow plug in normal headphones to a TV that does not have a specific "headphone" input? I had the idea you could plug in the headphones in to the two audio inputs. (left and right, or yellow and white) on the back of the TV. This of course would require an adpater - plug the normal headphone jack into an adapter/converter that splits into two cables (yellow and right) and those cables are plugged into the audio input. I have no idea if such a product exists; or even if headphones would even work with those audio inputs. I really appreciate any responses at all. Thank you very much.
Short answer, no.

Actually, you need to clarify your post as to what you are trying to do. Are you trying to use headphones on a TV that doesn't have a headphone output jack? Does the TV have audio output jacks (left=white + right=red RCA connectors)? If so, then the answer is: not without some sort of additional equipment like an amplifier. The audio level of a headphone output (typically 1/8" (mini) stereo) and a line level output from the typical RCA jacks (red + white) are not the same. Using an adapter, you may be able to hear something depending on the TV model, but usually it will be pretty low level (quiet). Depending on the TV, you may have to switch the speakers off to get sound out of the audio output connectors. Many TVs don't send sound to both the audio outputs and the built-in speakers at the same time. You may or may not be able to adjust the volume from the RCA jacks, either. Most TV sets have an option in the menu to switch between fixed audio output; where the sound from the RCA jacks is constant and volume is controlled only by the stereo system, or variable; where the sound level from the RCA jacks is changed by your TV volume control and your stereo's. (i.e. you'd set your TV volume to where you normally listen at, then adjust the stereo to an appropriate level. Then if you need to change the volume, you can do it with your TV remote. Just watch out when you switch your stereo back to other audio like the radio; the volume level might need to be set pretty high when listening to your TV output.)

To get proper audio levels to a set of headphones, you'd need to either use a headphone amplifier or connect the audio outputs to some sort of stereo system that has a headphone output (stereo hi-fi amplifier, surround sound receiver, mini bookshelf system, or even a set of amplified speakers like those used for computers). Wireless headphones also work, but can be expensive.

But don't confuse audio inputs (usually accompanied by a yellow RCA jack for video) for outputs. They do very different things. Inputs are for connecting stuff like DVD players, game consoles, and other video devices to get those video and audio signals into the TV. Outputs are for getting (usually) the audio out of the TV to a stereo system.

You can buy adapter cables for pretty much any type of analog connector to another. Whether they will carry the appropriate signals is another question. Digital connectors (USB, Firewire, SATA, etc.) are another beast entirely. But that's another topic.

If my post was confusing, try and read this: http://answers.google.com/answers/threa ... 03907.html. It pretty much says the same thing, but worded differently.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Return to “Video & Audio Help”