Vinyl: Your opinion?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Vinyl: Your opinion?

Post by Kionon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:54 am

I just purchased an Audio-Technica AT-PL300 because it was on sale at a store near my apartment, and am using it to listen to the Macross and Kimagure Orange Road LPs/EPs I have purchased, and I have to say, compared to the digital files I am used to listening to through my sound system, I am pretty sure I hear a difference. As long as the record itself is in good condition, the sound seems a lot... deeper than I am used to hearing.

What does the org say? (besides Beo :P I know his opinion).
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Ingow
Org Profile

Re: Vinyl: Your opinion?

Post by Ingow » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:52 am

Kionon wrote:As long as the record itself is in good condition, the sound seems a lot... deeper than I am used to hearing.
Yea agreed, might still be mostly a psychological thing, but even then people do need their Placebos too, so w/e really.

I always think that buying vinyls would be the better choice in general, CDs have become quite not worth their money with the 2-pages of printed small paper in front and back without any real booklets anymore and just being a bland looking small disc etc.

And as for the sound as I've said it just seems like it has more power behind it. I never really looked up the theories behind that and what exactly makes the difference though.

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 am

My family has a bunch of jazz, blues, rock and roll, and some latino dance records. The sound is pretty retro, they give that timeless feeling but the remastered CD's definitely sound better. I haven't listened to anything from the past 30 years on it, probably won't work anyway.

And I agree on that CD's don't seem to be worth the money. $15 for most vinyl's in store sounds like a much better deal then $12 a CD.

xexyzl
Org Profile

Post by xexyzl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

ShatteredFlame wrote: And I agree on that CD's don't seem to be worth the money. $15 for most vinyl's in store sounds like a much better deal then $12 a CD.
That would be true . . . except for the fact that I've never consistently seen Vinyl sold for less than $20.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:56 pm

I've always heard a difference in vinyl. There is, objectively, a difference - you would get a different sound picture from it than a CD. Whether it's really BETTER is debatable. But it's certainly different and really does have its nuances and pluses for listening to stuff.

My main reason for not really being a vinyl user, though, is portability/practicality. It's very impractical for someone who lives in a small room and moves around a lot to be a record collector. Even CDs are a bit of a pain for me.

Otherwise, when/if I'm rich and settled, hell yes I'm starting to collect vinyl stuff.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:55 pm

xexyzl wrote:
ShatteredFlame wrote: And I agree on that CD's don't seem to be worth the money. $15 for most vinyl's in store sounds like a much better deal then $12 a CD.
That would be true . . . except for the fact that I've never consistently seen Vinyl sold for less than $20.
This is all a matter of the search. On the one hand, my usual stop, Mandarake has a tendency to be really more accurate in its pricing on used vinyl: which is to say it costs more. However, I got the Macross Iijima Mari Song Memory "Minmay Sings For You" LP from 1986 in Hard Off for a mere ¥105, or roughly a buck. There's a lot of other stuff there too all priced around that, including Gundam, Urusei Yatsura, Crusher Joe, Yamato... And that's just the anime. They have a rare section too that's more expensive, of course, but it's mostly Beatles. Now that I have a player, I'll probably buy a few of these, because for a dollar each, you can't go wrong.

Hard Off is a great store, it's supposed to stand for Hardware Half-Off and is either used goods or extra odds and ends that have been acquired by the store from the manufacturers. The player I got was brand new, retails at $199. I got it for $99. Book Off, same chain, is better for CD purchases, but it's a bit of a hike from me. A short drive, but I'm unable to drive at the moment, need to get me new Japanese driver's license this week.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:03 pm

xexyzl wrote:
Hot Topic(yep..they have pretty cool shit on their site) and Amazon usually have newly release vinyls for $15-$20

And Bestbuy but they usually never have anything besides the top selling metal records. like Wrath by Lamb of God :cry:

xexyzl
Org Profile

Post by xexyzl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:57 pm

ShatteredFlame wrote:
xexyzl wrote:
Hot Topic(yep..they have pretty cool shit on their site) and Amazon usually have newly release vinyls for $15-$20

And Bestbuy but they usually never have anything besides the top selling metal records. like Wrath by Lamb of God :cry:
Most metal vinyls are limited pressings anyways, so once the 666 copies or whatever are sold out the price starts to skyrocket past the $30 mark.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:15 pm

I purchase most of my music digitally, but if I had a choice I'd prolly switch to Vinyl.
It looks cooler and there's more meaning to a single song, with a CD you have too much choice and half of it won't be heard that often anyway.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Return to “General Discussion”