Buying a new laptop for editing?

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Re: Buying a new laptop for editing?

Post by AimoAio » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm

Hey,me again with another problem.Although I don't really know if it qualifies since it's not really video-related.

Since I'm buying a laptop I thought I'd get wireless installed while I'm at it.

So I saw this

What is a Cable Router (DSL)?Since the name of the product is Belkin N300 N300 Mbps Cable Router (DSL) but in the product info it says Belkin N WRL N Wireless Router I'm hoping they mean the same thing.

Includes Print Server NO
WPA Pre-Shared Key NO
WPA (Radius Server) NO
128bit WEP NO
64bit Encryption NO
NAT and SPI Firewalls NO
Mixed Mode/Backward Compatible NO
Freephone Support NO

^What is this all about?The only thing about routers that I know is the speed and range :\

All I really want is for the laptop to be able to go online and watch streamed videos without lagging.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:53 pm

AimoAio wrote:What is a Cable Router (DSL)?
A router is able to take a single connection to the internet and make it available to more than 1 computer
AimoAio wrote:Since the name of the product is Belkin N300 N300 Mbps Cable Router (DSL) but in the product info it says Belkin N WRL N Wireless Router I'm hoping they mean the same thing.
It's just the product name, nothing to worry about.
AimoAio wrote:Includes Print Server NO
WPA Pre-Shared Key NO
WPA (Radius Server) NO
128bit WEP NO
64bit Encryption NO
NAT and SPI Firewalls NO
Mixed Mode/Backward Compatible NO
Freephone Support NO

^What is this all about?The only thing about routers that I know is the speed and range :\
WPA, WEP and 64-bit encryption are security things. If you don't secure your wireless connection anyone can use your wireless and, with the right equipment, can capture the data that gets sent over your wireless network (like passwords and credit card numbers.)
Even with encryption, people can still get your sensitive information (albeit much harder, especially if it's encrypted with WPA2. WEP encryption isn't much encryption at all)

Firewalls filter the data that gets sent to/from your computer via the wireless network. It's not essential as you can have software firewalls on your computer (but hardware firewalls are generally regarded as better than software ones.)

Mixed mode/Backwards compatible means that the router can also provide wireless a/b/g (or some combination thereof). That router looks like it can only do wireless N.

I'm guessing freephone support is for stuff like skype (voice over ip).

Being able to watch videos without lag depends first and foremost on the type of connection you have. Dialup will have a hard time streaming anything, no matter what you do. If you experience lag on your wired connection, wireless isn't going to help at all.

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm using cable broadband just now and have no lag.Just wondered if I got wireless and tried streaming from my laptop downstairs,would it still play smooth like just now.

Right I'm looking and it says

For Use With: Laptops & Desktops (USB)

Do I need to get a USB Wireless Adapter then?

Windows SE Compatible YES
Windows 2000 Compatible YES
Windows ME Compatible YES
Windows XP Compatible YES
MAC OS10 or Higher Compatible NO

No mention of Vista...although since it's compatible with older versions of Windows,am I right in guessing it works with Vista?

Oh and since it's not compatible with a Mac,if I get a wireless adapter does that work out?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:04 am

It should still play smoothly.

I'm not seeing usb anywhere in that product info page (are you looking at something other than the router now?) My guess is that USB means that it either has a usb port or plugs into a usb port. The Acer laptop has integrated wireless, so noo need for an adapter.

For vista compatibility: I wouldn't count on it. That was one of the big issues with Vista (shoddy software and hardware support.) It would be best to ask, to google to see if other people have used it with Vista, or to search for a product that has Vista compatibility listed in the product info.
AimoAio wrote:Oh and since it's not compatible with a Mac,if I get a wireless adapter does that work out?
This statement confuses me greatly

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:24 am

Kariudo wrote:
AimoAio wrote:Oh and since it's not compatible with a Mac,if I get a wireless adapter does that work out?
This statement confuses me greatly
Sorry I meant like,if I got this which is compatible with Vista and XP but not with Mac,then is there anyway I could still get the Mac to work without having to buy one of these?

It's just my sis owns a Mac and she wants to be able to use the wireless connection when she comes up during the holidays.

Joe88
Org Profile

Post by Joe88 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:32 pm

im pretty sure it should be fine unless apple is now prioritizing wireless routers now with their own branded ones... :|

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:50 pm

I could try it out and see if it works seeing as she's coming up in 2 weeks time and if it doesn't work out I still have time to go get a replacement that works while she's here.

Now I'm wondering what's the difference between a Belkin N300 and Belkin 300N because the only difference is the arrangement of the 300 and N in the name but one's compatible with XP,Vista and Mac and the other ones only compatible with XP and Mac.

MonkeyBomb
Org Profile

Post by MonkeyBomb » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:54 pm

hey while we're on the topic of laptops...I just wanted to know which processor is faster

Asus K50IJ-SX138C(one on the 1st page of this thread)

or this one

thanks

oh and I'm using it for editing too. maybe some ae work aswell.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 pm

As was the case on page 2, the Core2Duo will likely outpace an AMD Turion of similar frequency. In all likelihood, you won't notice a difference until it comes to encoding.

If you were to choose between that Acer 5536 and the Asus K50IJ-SX138C, I'd go with the Asus

semi-unrelated note: I noticed that both Acer laptops in this thread of 5536s, but have different specs. Are UK retailers just that horrible at product names/specs?

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Kariudo wrote:semi-unrelated note: I noticed that both Acer laptops in this thread of 5536s, but have different specs. Are UK retailers just that horrible at product names/specs?
Yep :roll:

The names had me so confused at first.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”