After Effects CS4 stucks at the start up

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

After Effects CS4 stucks at the start up

Post by Bauzi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Hey there,

This problem pisses me off! So I installed some plug in trial versions and suddenly my AE CS4 gets stuck at the start up. To be precise: Right when the user interface was loaded (at least visualy loaded). I removed the plug ins: Didn't helped. Reinstalled AE: same fucking problem!

Any ideas? I seriously don't want to set up my whole system again just because of AE. :|
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: After Effects CS4 stucks at the start up

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:28 pm

System restore?

machina21
Org Profile

Post by machina21 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Did you try resetting your preferences?( Hold down these buttons then start AE:cmd-opt-shift (Mac) / ctrl-alt-shift (Win).
"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere."

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:50 pm

both suggestions didn't helped :(
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Oh great: Restoring to my restore point of today is even worse. It throws me some random plug in errors. Photoshop stuff :|

That reminds me: Photoshop also suddenly showed me a warning about an incorrect working GPU stuff. Sadly I ignored it and clicked it away ("don't show me this message again"). I also found some complaints about AE stucking at the start up because of this stuff, but that was all about Radeon cards. However... Could there be something wrong with my video card drivers or settings? I'll try to get a newer version...

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm

I don't know what you have in terms of installation software, but try to run the installation program for AE. You will hopefully be asked if you want to uninstall or repair the program, in which case you choose the latter. If AE was installed as part of the Creative Suite (rather than a stand-alone program) go back to the first CS disk, pop that in and you should be prompted for an uninstall/repair action from there.

In my own experience, when an Adobe program gets that unhappy with itself, a repair via disc is one of the only things which works (short of a complete uninstall and re-install). There is a chance you will have to uninstall either AE itself or the entire Suite to resolve the issue, but that's a worst-case scenario.

Based on your most recent report about weird Photoshop errors and suchlike, however, it does kind of sound like maybe settings on something other than the software got a little tweaked out (which is now causing the software to tweak out). If you check your Preferences in Photoshop (you have CS4?), you should find something about disabling/enabling GPU enhancements. Maybe try playing around with those? I don't have CS4 in front of me at the moment, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:32 pm

Yeah I also repaired it before I uninstalled-reinstalled it. *sigh* The whole creative suite sounds plausible, but... meh! :(

Ok I looked into Photoshop again: You can't use OpenGL hardware booster because... blah blah blah update your video card driver.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:40 pm

Wait, you uninstalled and re-installed it and it's still not functioning correctly? As I mentioned before, you can try redoing the entire Creative Suite - I've seen cases where the repairs are not effective unless you go to this extreme - and that will certainly tell you whether it's CS or something else in your computer with a problem.

Running Windows? Any Microsoft Updates recently installed? I know you said the restore point didn't work, though...hrm... what about QuickTime? At one point I had a horrible issue with QT messing with AE's loading process, it basically would hang up the program until I manually intervened; this problem started after a QT update was installed on my PC. This doesn't really address your Photoshop GPU messages, of course...

Something odd going on with your hard drive? Are these programs looking for a certain quantity of memory or space that they're suddenly not finding? That'll kill them very quickly.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Driver update didn't changed anything for PS or AE.

I have seperate installers for PP, AE and PS. Now Create Suite - setup.

No Windows Upadate, QuickTime: I use Quick Time Alternative. I installed it right after installing Windows and never touched it again. odd harddrive: There is more free space than ever.

Okay.... Now I'll: Restore back, deinstall and reinstall AE.

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Bauzi wrote: Okay.... Now I'll: Restore back, deinstall and reinstall AE.
didn't worked :|

Screw restoring of my Windows.

I don't know what's fishy exactly... When AE's interface is ready I see the good old sandclock. In the background the processimportingservice.exe started with AE.exe. PIS.exe doesn't take any CPU and needs <10 RAM. AE seams to be ready at 220MB RAM, but it uses all my CPU power and slowly increases the used RAM with time.

Return to “Adobe Software”