Adobe Premiere CS4 Preview Tint

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Adobe Premiere CS4 Preview Tint

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:42 pm

I can't find any information on this subject anywhere, but maybe I don't know the appropriate related terms...

Whenever I'm previewing a clip that is a different size than the sequence it is in or has an opacity less than 100% Premiere gives it this hideous green or red tint. Otherwise it plays fine and this never happens to other clips, so I am led to believe this is a "feature" intended to make it easy to remember that a clip is the wrong size or transparent. However, it also causes accurate previewing of videos with lots of masks or fading to be nearly impossible. Is there a way to toggle this on or off? Is it supposed to do it at all? Does anybody else have this happen?

Thanks.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 Preview Tint

Post by mirkosp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:20 am

That actually shouldn't happen and I'm fairly certain it's a problem with the codec you're using the preview (some codecs can cause red or green junk to appear). Another thing to watch out for is remembering to put a black solid under everything else in your timeline if you have fades or parts of the image in alpha (that is, black while there isn't an actual black solid there to tell premiere the color).

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:19 pm

mirkosp wrote:That actually shouldn't happen and I'm fairly certain it's a problem with the codec you're using the preview
Oh? So should I switch codecs or reinstall them or something? Do you have a suggested codec? How would I switch them? Thanks for the help!

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Well, for preview purposes I use ffdshow's mjpeg, since it's blazing fast and quality doesn't really matter much. You might not get it to show up, though, if you have a 64bit OS...
As for switching them, you should be able to do so in the sequence settings.

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:32 pm

mirkosp wrote:Well, for preview purposes I use ffdshow's mjpeg, since it's blazing fast and quality doesn't really matter much. You might not get it to show up, though, if you have a 64bit OS...
Hmm, although I have it installed it isn't appearing on my list of codecs. Any suggestions? Sorry for the trouble XP

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm

absoluteapocalypse wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Well, for preview purposes I use ffdshow's mjpeg, since it's blazing fast and quality doesn't really matter much. You might not get it to show up, though, if you have a 64bit OS...
Hmm, although I have it installed it isn't appearing on my list of codecs. Any suggestions? Sorry for the trouble XP
Either you have a 64bit OS or you're out of luck. It's not the first time that installed codecs don't appear as available for the premiere cs4 preview... they will all be available when exporting, but not for the preview. :\
A real solution hasn't been found, it all comes down to trying another preview codec and seeing what works best.

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:20 pm

mirkosp wrote: Either you have a 64bit OS or you're out of luck. It's not the first time that installed codecs don't appear as available for the premiere cs4 preview... they will all be available when exporting, but not for the preview. :\
A real solution hasn't been found, it all comes down to trying another preview codec and seeing what works best.
Hmm, well I know I don't have a 64bit OS, but I sure hope I'm not out of luck.... question: does the decoder automatically come with the standard ffdshow download? It occurred to me that although I have ffdshow installed, they might be separate.

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Okay that was a really stupid question. I've messed around with it a bit and realized that /none/ of my downloaded codecs appear on my list of preview options and ALL the ones that come with adobe premiere have the same tinting problem. Any idea where I go from here?

Return to “Adobe Software”