...

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime conventions, and for the exchanging of rides to, and rooms at, conventions.

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Ulatron » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:44 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:I really hate it when people with stupid conventions pull this well meaning bullshit about 'Oh we're trying something new and you shouldn't oppose that!'.

Well intentioned stupidity is still stupidity, no matter how you dress it up.

Even if you mean well, this is a stupid idea and all the good intentions and will wishing can't fix those flaws. You've made it clear that you have no intention of addressing the flaws but would rather gloss over them. You are expecting to throw an EXPENSIVE con, put it in an expensive venue, to sell out (Effectively pre-reg) 2,488 people for a first year convention, at a total income of over $400 000 to pay for the event. The attendance costs of going to this con are WELL over what the average person will spend going to a regular con.

Floatacon is not happening. Flat out.


I'm going to have to agree with DJ_Izumi

I would have to say a good 60% of the anime fan base are between 13-21 years of age. That means you are losing at least 50% of your potential attendees because they can't afford a cruise. Most can't afford a hotel room at the con. This Idea sunk the moment it was thought up.
Kita-Kon Chairman 2006-2009
http://www.kita-kon.org/
User avatar
Ulatron
 
Joined: 16 Jul 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, ON

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby DJ_Izumi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Ulatron wrote:Most can't afford a hotel room at the con.


This is actually a very good point. For any first year convention the attendance is primarily local with any out of towners from more than an hour or two away being 'bonus points'. This is why many first and even second year conventions have issues fullfilling hotel room block obligations that come with their contracts. If so many attendees are local, they arn't going to get a hotel room.

Most people who would travel far and invest travel and hotel money into attending a convention will wait untill that convention has established a reputation. Till they're heard people talk abuot how awesome it was.

Being on a SHIP, this is basicly a convention that HAS no local fanbase. Everyone is going to be spending 'long distance travel' level money to attend. It REALLY limits any potential audience.

This is what you'll see in September when the number of people who have pre-regged is remarkably below 'sold out'.
Image
User avatar
DJ_Izumi
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2001
Location: Canada

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby DaPatches » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:43 pm

DJ_Izumi wrote:Being on a SHIP, this is basicly a convention that HAS no local fanbase. Everyone is going to be spending 'long distance travel' level money to attend. It REALLY limits any potential audience.


Yup. Also treating the ship like it's a hotel is the wrong way to go about since a cruise ship is so clearly not a hotel. It's one thing to say first come first serve all for the same price at a hotel, but on a boat, there's a HUGE difference in the rooms depending on where they are located and charging the same price for all of them is a huge red flag that shows this guy has no idea what the hell he's doing.

But it's okay, he's doing it out of love and determination. Clearly that means more than brains and money.

Starting a convention is just like starting a business. You need capital to begin and this guy wants fans to foot the bill for his venture instead. LOL Oversimplifying everything is not helping his case either.
Image
User avatar
DaPatches
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2004
Location: PA

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby DJ_Izumi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:25 pm

DaPatches wrote:Yup. Also treating the ship like it's a hotel is the wrong way to go about since a cruise ship is so clearly not a hotel. It's one thing to say first come first serve all for the same price at a hotel, but on a boat, there's a HUGE difference in the rooms depending on where they are located and charging the same price for all of them is a huge red flag that shows this guy has no idea what the hell he's doing.

But it's okay, he's doing it out of love and determination. Clearly that means more than brains and money.

Starting a convention is just like starting a business. You need capital to begin and this guy wants fans to foot the bill for his venture instead. LOL Oversimplifying everything is not helping his case either.


I really wonder if this guy has any real convention experience. And I don't mean ATTENDING cons. Thinking you can run a con because you attended one is like thinking you can run a restraunt just because you eat at some.

He seems to be willfully ignorant to any advice from people that know better or have experience, a clear failing that someone running a con shouldn't have. He won't even considder any advose beyind saying 'If it doesn't work, I'll try agian next year'.

This is an idea made of arrogance and stupidity.
Image
User avatar
DJ_Izumi
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2001
Location: Canada

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:57 pm

I think the idea has merit and it would be real cool, but I do also have to agree that I'm skeptical in sending in money based on the information that is presented on the website. I myself have extensive convention running experience and would want to know who is running it (is it a society, company, individual), what experience the person(s) have and more information then what is presented. Right now it looks to me like a single individual trying to do it on thier own with very limited resources (I could be wrong, but that is what it looks like from all the info so far).

For me it’s not about the money, but the confidence of who I and sending it to (and a statement of getting money back if it does not go does not mean much these days unless it is guaranteed a bit more then just saying it will be I’m afraid).

Generally, if you want to get this sort of thing off the ground, I'm afraid some money would have to be invested into the event to get it properly going, asking for money based on just an idea and expecting to sell out and if not just trying again will not get you very far I'm afraid based on all my experience. I'm also doubtful many dealers will be attracted to this sort of thing the way the dealer info is presented as I've spent many years dealing with dealers for conventions.

I not sure what all the options are out there on a cruise ship, but I do know several successful science fiction cons have done this sort of thing so I would of started by tracing these groups/individuals down and discussing how they did it, when they did it, how much they charged, how successful it was, etc

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby DaPatches » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:19 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote: I not sure what all the options are out there on a cruise ship, but I do know several successful science fiction cons have done this sort of thing so I would of started by tracing these groups/individuals down and discussing how they did it, when they did it, how much they charged, how successful it was, etc


Events like Cruise Trek and Wrock the Boat (Harry Potter themed) rely on rubbing shoulders with famous names affiliated with the fandom and chilling with fellow fans on a cruise, not running an actual con on a boat. Nor do I think any of them book an entire ship but just a block of cabins instead.

http://www.cruisetrek.com/index.html

I really want to go on a Cruise Trek. It looks awesome. I had a friend that went on Wrock the Boat which also sounds awesome and she loved it. I think their website is down though.

This in theory could be done with an anime/gaming theme and could potentially be awesome...but not this way.
Image
User avatar
DaPatches
 
Joined: 17 Jan 2004
Location: PA

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:29 pm

I figured as much as I know someone who went on it many years ago.. Basically it looks like a cruise with guests with some private parties, a few guest panels, etc... judging by the Cruise Trek Website, there seems to be 100 or so that go on these as tyhat makes sence based on the cost...

To book a entire ship and make it into a con however migth be another beat entirely....

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Ghet » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:18 pm

i'd only go if the name was changed to "I'm on a boatacon"
Image
User avatar
Ghet
 
Joined: 27 Feb 2007
Status: >.<

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby DJ_Izumi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:18 pm

How about 'Cancled Con'? :)
Image
User avatar
DJ_Izumi
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2001
Location: Canada

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Scintilla » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:21 am

Ghet wrote:i'd only go if the name was changed to "I'm on a boatacon"

Well, according to the cached website, they're going to have to change it to SOMEthing different.

Also according to same site, all money submitted has been refunded. Can anyone confirm or deny?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Adv1sor » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:43 pm

In the end, I couldn't secure the funding and had an unexpected run in with Otakon. I've taken down the web site and, if I can get the funding worked out, will try again with a different name.
User avatar
Adv1sor
 
Joined: 01 Nov 2004

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Adv1sor wrote:In the end, I couldn't secure the funding and had an unexpected run in with Otakon. I've taken down the web site and, if I can get the funding worked out, will try again with a different name.


That may be, but to go about and delete all your dialogue AND thread title is not very professional or right thing to do here...

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: FLOATACON IS ON!

Postby Radical_Yue » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
Adv1sor wrote:In the end, I couldn't secure the funding and had an unexpected run in with Otakon. I've taken down the web site and, if I can get the funding worked out, will try again with a different name.


That may be, but to go about and delete all your dialogue AND thread title is not very professional or right thing to do here...

Vlad



And people are always asking about the lack of edit button :roll:
ImageImage
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: ...

Postby DJ_Izumi » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:52 pm

His brilliant plan to erase the evidence of his stupid plan would have worked had most of the words not been quoted by other people first. ...AND OUR LITTLE DOG TOO.
Image
User avatar
DJ_Izumi
 
Joined: 03 Oct 2001
Location: Canada

Re: ...

Postby Kitsuner » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 pm

Best Use of Ellipses 2009?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
User avatar
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Top Breeder

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Conventions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brakus, Phlashbak and 1 guest