quick overclocking question...

Overture
Org Profile

quick overclocking question...

Post by Overture » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:07 pm

so i overclocked my computer and the cpu temp is below 50 degrees when i run prime95 so thats alrite. even when i run zarxgui the highest it gets is around 47 or 48 dregrees. but all of my cores get as high as 50 to 58 degrees at the hottest. is that normal? whats the maximum temp u should keep your cores at for overclocking? ill try to lower my voltage a lil more but im just curious if what im running now is alrite or not:) thanx

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: quick overclocking question...

Post by Kariudo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:07 pm

That depends on the cpu (each microarchitecture has its own max temp,) but I'm inclined to say that 58 is still safe...but again that depends on what your cpu is.

here's a link that should give you some idea of what is safe:
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articl ... ures.shtml

10 to 20*C below the max would be a good target. Generally, the lower the temp the longer the life

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:54 pm

Kariudo wrote:That depends on the cpu (each microarchitecture has its own max temp,) but I'm inclined to say that 58 is still safe...but again that depends on what your cpu is.
10 to 20*C below the max would be a good target. Generally, the lower the temp the longer the life
oh crapO-o im running a q6600 and it says on the link u posted that the max is 62*C. so my target should be around 42*C. my cores all idle from 36-40* so thats alrite i guess. but my max is a lil high. im only overclocking it to 3.0ghz too. well ill see what i can do if i can lower the voltages even MORE:l if anything, guess ill just resort to buying a new fan tho i do already have two installed, both of them next to my core. as far as my case will let me(antec 300), i can fit two more in front(about a journey away from the core:3) or one on the side under the core by my graphics card. hopefullly that will help enough to be worth the money:D and i already threw on some arctic silver 5 which helped ALOT!!!

lets say ill set my target to at least around 45 - 48*C at max for my cores. u think thats safe enough? i remember you said YOUR running a q6600 right? what are your temps around to what your ocing? thanx for the help:D

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:44 pm

quads run hot (just a fact of life)

G0 (core) stepping max temp is 71C (I think this is what you have, based on idle temps)
B3 (core) stepping max temp is 62.2

cpu-z should display one of those two (G0 or B3) for the revision # (revision # = core stepping in cpu-z)

I run a Q8200 (M1 stepping) which has a max of 71.2C
OCed from 2.4 to 3.0 (1.145 Vcore)
my load temps are about 60...I can't really tell unless I stick a temp probe in there (pcprobe II and bios gives me 36, realtemp gives me 66-54-60-62, coretemp gives me 76-64-70-72)
Realtemp gives my lowest idle core temp as 43C (then again, it gives me that when I'm running 2.4 @ 0.9875 Vcore...so I have my doubts)

Ok, so after setting the correct TJmax for realtemp my reported temps dropped 20C (from the ones above)...I don't know what to believe anymore :uhoh:

In short: 58C load for a Q6600 is good, you could push it a bit more if you wanted to

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:58 pm

alrite thanx alot dude:D ill take your word for it. i may still lower my voltages if i can just because, but i feel alot better now:) the most stress my computer gets is when i run zarxgui so it never gets as hot as when i run prime but meh. so thanx again.

Return to “Hardware Discussion”